All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm 
Page Side

The Buffalo News

Quote:
Henrik Tallinder was getting grief from almost every angle last season, a good chunk of which was spent getting chunks taken out of him. His coach publicly criticized him. Fans pointed toward him as a primary problem. The media, not to mention opposing forwards, took turns throwing him down and kicking him around.

It seemed everybody wanted to spank Hank, but you know who was most upset with Tallinder becoming a shell of his former self? Henrik Tallinder. The Sabres' 30-year-old veteran defenseman was so low that he suggested, and many agreed, a change in scenery might be the best remedy for a stale career tumbling downhill.

"I had a couple of tough years," Tallinder said after a light 50-minute workout Wednesday in HSBC Arena. "I was battling with myself. I was the worst critic of myself. I wasn't the best friend with myself, and I think that showed."

Yeah, it showed.

Tallinder four years ago was considered the Sabres' best defenseman — back when they twice reached the conference finals with a roster that included Brian Campbell — before a steady decline for two straight seasons. Injuries contributed to his downfall, but there was no getting around the fact that he was regressing, not to mention depreciating.

Once he lost his bang, the Sabres lost their buck. They had a difficult time justifying the $2.9 million on his salary last season and not getting enough in return.

It became a heavy burden. Known for being cooperative and friendly, he did a good job of hiding his frustration when he was around his teammates. But deep down, he was miserable. He became grumpy at home after too many listless, unproductive nights. He was no longer the confident, upbeat player he was early in his career.

"I wasn't me," he said. "I didn't feel comfortable with myself. I wasn't miserable all the time, but a lot of times I didn't play that well and it took a toll. It doesn't work. [Playing poorly] doesn't make me a worse person, but I took it like that, which is bad.

"It takes so much energy that it's unbelievable. I was tired all the time."

Tallinder struck a deal with himself over the summer. Basically, he had a mental makeover. He changed his workouts and showed up better prepared for a long season. He also found inner peace after clearing his conscience and rediscovering joy in the game that had been absent for too long.

So far, pretty darned good.

Tallinder has been solid while playing alongside longer, lankier rookie Tyler Myers. Tallinder didn't have a point but was plus-5 Tuesday against the Detroit Red Wings, his best plus-minus rating since a plus-6 in a blowout over the Flyers during the 2005-06 playoffs.

Myers had an assist and was plus-3 against the Wings.

"He's been a huge help for me," Myers said. "He's just always talking, helping me in certain situations when we're on the ice. During the games, he's always in my ear. I really like that. Any advice he can give me, I'm really happy to take."

The Sabres aren't exactly short on size with the pairing, which was thrown together just before the opener. The 6-foot-3 Tallinder and 6-8 Myers found instant chemistry and could be the Sabres' most consistent tandem through the first four games.

"He's gaining confidence," Ruff said of Tallinder. "It's a "real good, feel good,' which I think is great. You look at the size, and it should be an extremely tough defense pair to play against. He's moving well; his battle is good. He seems a lot more assertive down low, where he seemed tentative in the past. It's a great thing for us."

It's also good for Tallinder, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. The Sabres were believed to be shopping him over the summer. They either couldn't find a team willing to accept his $3.25 million salary for this season or couldn't get enough in return. If he keeps playing well, it could be a great move never made.

Plus-minus rating can be misleading, but it can be an indicator over the course of a season. For what it's worth, Tallinder is leading the Sabres through four games with a plus-6. Myers, second with a plus-4, says the veteran has helped him get adjusted to the NHL. Tallinder says the kid has helped rejuvenate his game.

And it shows.

"It feels better this year, way better," Tallinder said. "Everybody goes through tough times. You have to learn from it. Hopefully, that's what I'm doing. I feel like I've learned something."

Linkity Clinkity:

http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/828217.html

It's a feel good story. I've been as frustrated with Hank as anybody else... but I want the poor guy to succeed, for his and our sake.

So far, so good...

icehound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:42 pm 
Star Sniper

Good. A team that is becoming a "team", again.

JD1970
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:01 pm 
7th Defenseman

Quote:
It's also good for Tallinder, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

He will be a Flyer next season :lol:

fly as hale
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:34 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Quote:
It seemed everybody wanted to spank Hank...

Erm...whatever you say, Bucky... :?

Hockey Night in Buffalo

icehound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:38 pm 
Star Sniper

Fucking Bucky...I had missed that.

I had been calling Tallinder "Hank the Spank" since the rape allegations came out - And was particularly brutal with its' use whenever he exhibited bad (jerk-off, spanking the monkey) play. You'll still see me use it in the GDT's...

Fucker stole it.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:49 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The only plus Hank sees is when he pisses on a pregnancy test.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:39 pm 
Cup Winner

Well he has to play great to keep up with Myers.

And 6'3 and a 6'8, that pairing has some size, and Hank was definitely great during the Wings game, fighting for pucks, hitting people, rushing after loose pucks.

Playing with Myers is probably the best thing that could have happened to Hank.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:53 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I agree with with Sky on this one - the drive and hunger and sheer natural talent Myers exudes has had a miraculous effect on Tallinder.

icehound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:57 pm 
Star Sniper

No doubt. The sign of a great player is that he elevates the play of those around him...Tyler Myers is that player.

He demands more of himself and those around him, and makes it easier to do the right thing; make the correct play.

His confidence and poise translate into an overall greater level of team-confidence. The security of knowing everyone can do their jobs without looking over their shoulder, to make sure things aren't going wrong.

JD1970
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:54 pm 
7th Defenseman

icehound wrote:

I had been calling Tallinder "Hank the Spank" since the rape allegations came out

Never heard of that.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 pm 
Cup Winner

Also with Tallinder he did have to try and get better this year, and no doubt he has done that.

Since I only saw one game this season he wasn't afraid of knocking some bodies around and fighting for the pucks, and I hope he was like that the first three games also, and for the rest of the season.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:07 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

JD1970 wrote:
icehound wrote:

I had been calling Tallinder "Hank the Spank" since the rape allegations came out

Never heard of that.

Tallinder, Andreas Lilja and a third player were accused of gang-raping a woman some years back.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:08 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Hank has been playing a lot more physical this year.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:18 pm 
Page Side

mechaphil wrote:
JD1970 wrote:
icehound wrote:

Never heard of that.

Tallinder, Andreas Lilja and a third player were accused of gang-raping a woman some years back.

You're fucking joking right?

Where the hell was I?

icehound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 pm 
Star Sniper

PuckSniperPensel wrote:

Where the hell was I?

Serious as a heart-attack:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=114464

[edit: It was during the lockout...]

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:52 pm 
Star Sniper

mechaphil wrote:
JD1970 wrote:
icehound wrote:

Never heard of that.

Kristian Huselias; wasn't it?

edit: yes it was, I just read the link...

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:58 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Howie Hodge wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
JD1970 wrote:
icehound wrote:

Never heard of that.

Kristian Huselias; wasn't it?

edit: yes it was, I just read the link...

Bingo. I don't remember if any of them were convicted, but I do know for sure that Tallinder was acquitted.

Markus
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:51 pm 
Power Forward

I think he will make Myers look bad at some points this season...

And Myers, being a rookie, will falter during certain stretches during the season. He's bound to. Still has my pick for rookie of the year.

But I cannot wait for Tallinder to leave.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am 
Mrs. Miller

PuckSniperPensel wrote:

Where the hell was I?

How do you not know about that? That was some pretty crazy sheeeiiitt.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:32 am 
Superstar Goalie

Yeeeaaah. Does anyone know if the ruling prohibiting the three of them from ever representing Sweden was ever lifted? I thought that was a little stupid considering that they were never even tried due to lack of evidence, to say the least, especially when the woman accused them of wrongdoing so soon after the fact... I should research that case more, though, because that's all I know about it (though I'm not sure that more information is available; it's not like it ever went to trial, so there are no transcripts). I've done so with enough other cases, with the end result of making myself further disgusted at the media and general public lol...

Aaaaanyway. Tallinder has been benefiting from playing with Myers so, so much. It was already stated, but it's worth repeating. It's bizarre that he's the one being benefited and not the other way around. After a few months of having his stats padded, I strongly suspect that Hank will be traded when deadline time comes around...

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran