It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

slesh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:35 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Buff's defensive play has been exposed by Atlanta in the 1st period. Failure to stay in position has cost 2 goals by the opposing teams star player. Unacceptable, but not uncorrectable. I think last nights game may be a factor as well. What do you think?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:36 pm 
Captain Dynasty

myers caughed the puck up on the second goal. i thought that perhaps the defense was slipping in last nights game. this team still has some holes. i think a fast start blinded a few of us.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 pm 
Star Sniper

It didn't cost us a goal, but Myers also played one up the middle earlier that was intercepted.

Not picking on him though; as he has played well thus far....

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Just because I can I'm blaming Hecht and Tallinder

slesh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:46 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

psychemedisabrefan wrote:
Just because I can I'm blaming Hecht and Tallinder

Here, Here! I second this motion.
But in all honesty, I think their first back to back games combined with some panic in the zone. Just my opinion though and still plenty of hockey left to play in this game. GO BUFF!!!

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:58 pm 
Star Sniper

Atlanta played last night too.

slesh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Who did Mair replace? I do not like Mair in being in the roster line up, Hell, I don't like Paille being in either. It is what it is I suspect. But hey, we have "The General" and god bless him, he's finally coming of age.

SchonyGal
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:33 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Please try to keep Game discussion in the GDT while the game is still underway or create the thread after the game is over. Thanks ;)

slesh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:47 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

SchonyGal wrote:
Please try to keep Game discussion in the GDT while the game is still underway or create the thread after the game is over. Thanks ;)

Sorry Schony, drive by posting, but hey, atleast I'm in the zone ;)

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:05 am 
Captain Dynasty

How the fuck do you leave Ilya Kovalchuk that wide open...twice?

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 am 
Power Forward

Myers showed for the first time, his age and experience level. The one thing I do question, is the ability of a 19 year old to recover fast enough to play back to back nights at such a high level. I am sure he will grow into it, and I really don't see anyone on our roster that I would rather have out there, just saying it is more difficult for a strokey 19 yr old to maintain that level of play than say a 22 yr old player of similar stature.

icehound
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:49 am 
Star Sniper

Myers made a handful of glaring mistakes...But, where was the rest of the D?

One may pin one's hopes on the kid, but it doesn't mean that one quits skating and lets him do it all.

He'll learn from his blunders - Wish the same could be said of the rest of the veterans out there.

They were trying to stretch the gap and cheat for the cherry-pick, and they stranded their D all night - Just like last season.

Lack of backchecking by the forwards. Poor positional play by the entire team, and the usual casual passes in their own zone and into the neutral zone.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:06 am 
Superstar Goalie

icehound wrote:

One may pin one's hopes on the kid, but it doesn't mean that one quits skating and lets him do it all.

He'll learn from his blunders - Wish the same could be said of the rest of the veterans out there.

They were trying to stretch the gap and cheat for the cherry-pick, and they stranded their D all night - Just like last season.

Lack of backchecking by the forwards. Poor positional play by the entire team, and the usual casual passes in their own zone and into the neutral zone.

Agreed.

Yes Myers is a kid, and he may have shown lack of experience. He'll be fine. As with all things, with time comes experience. This kid is a sponge and is soaking up the whole experience of being a rookie in the NHL. He will learn from those mistakes and should also be assisted by the vets on this team. Although, last night the support was pretty thin. Sloppy passes, trying to send off the long bomb passes to cause break aways and seeming to be skating in sand, and some are already talking about 2 plays Myers made which lead to offensive chances for the Trash? Please...

We can't continue to play like this. And if Myers takes blame for the loss in all of this, some better take a closer look. Last time I seen, there were 22 guys in the lineup last night. Not 2 (Myers and Lalime)

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:36 pm 
Page Side

AudSabres wrote:
icehound wrote:

Agreed.

Yes Myers is a kid, and he may have shown lack of experience. He'll be fine. As with all things, with time comes experience. This kid is a sponge and is soaking up the whole experience of being a rookie in the NHL. He will learn from those mistakes and should also be assisted by the vets on this team. Although, last night the support was pretty thin. Sloppy passes, trying to send off the long bomb passes to cause break aways and seeming to be skating in sand, and some are already talking about 2 plays Myers made which lead to offensive chances for the Trash? Please...

We can't continue to play like this. And if Myers takes blame for the loss in all of this, some better take a closer look. Last time I seen, there were 22 guys in the lineup last night. Not 2 (Myers and Lalime)

Next time a player tries to dance around him like that he'll step up and destroy him.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:47 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the last two games the sabres have looked shakey in their own end. its a little concerning.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:30 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
the last two games the sabres have looked shakey in their own end. its a little concerning.

The Islanders worked harder than any team that's played us so far this year, including the red wings. Take away Miller's blunder, which he never does, and its a two goal effort for the isles, not too shabby for our D.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:28 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Yea, the Thrashers (who have earned more points against the Sabres than any other non-divisional team) really skated around the Sabres and exposed some lazy defensive play by the whole team. The whole thing about Myers is, yes he made bad decisions, but how he rebounds will show his worth.

I was so livid leaving that game.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:07 am 
Captain Dynasty

myers showed his age, phil. we all knew it was going to happen. hes still a front runner for a calder if he stays up. but hes going to make mistakes. like phil said, im anxious to see how he rebounds.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:33 am 
Cup Winner

Well after 6 games we are 4-1-1, which isn't bad, and we played very well for the four wins.

We picked up our play tremendously in the 2nd and third against Atlanta. If we had played like the third period in the first it would have been a different outcome.

But seeing how Atlanta likes to take our number, it isn't surprising to see the team falter against them. you can't play great every night, sometimes the team as a whole has a bad game.

And with Myers, he'll throw the hit next time someone tries to dance around him. I'm sure he wasn't familiar with Max's speed anyways.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:54 pm 
Cup Winner

rbochan wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
..We picked up our play tremendously in the 2nd and third against Atlanta...

The hangovers had passed by then.

Haha, well they outshot us 12-1 ten minutes in the first period. And we ended up outshooting them 41-27, so we did something right afterwords, but not soon enough.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.