It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

sabretime30
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:16 am 
Brawler

Over the previous season and the start of this one, it's very easy to see that the teams confidence differs immensly depending which goalie is in the net. When ryan miller starts it's easy to see that the team plays with more confidence. as seen last night, when they are left in bad situations Miller is always there to bail them out, or provide a good chance of escaping.

On the other hand, when Lalime is in net, the team moves away from their normal systems and become a lot more defensive. They don't move the puck like they do with Ryan Miller is in net, and with good reason, as Lalime has yet to really put forth a good quality start.

I know this issue has been bitched about before, but it's really starting to be an annoying thing to watch. Whenever Lalime is given a start, no matter how hard I try, it's hard to believe that theyre going to win.

Just look at the difference this season when Ryan Miller has started and to the one game that Lalime has. It was like watching a total opposite team. I don't really have a "point" to this post, other then the one stated quite often being that this team NEEDS a decent backup goalie.

slesh
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Marty Biron was available, but the team decided to stick with Lalime. Not suprising really. But I agree, the team looks very tense with Patty between the pipes. I wonder if they even give him practice time.

sabretime30
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:36 am 
Brawler

I too heard that we were close to signing Marty this offseason. Rumors had it that he was willing to sign for the exact same he got with the NYI and stated he didn't mind playing back up. A backup goalie who can win some 7-10 games is crucial in the league today. Last year it showed, when we missed the playoffs due to the lack of win with Lalime in net.

The way this seasons been going if Lalime starts 15 games, by the end of the season we should only have about 25-30 losses, the way Ryan's been playing :lol:

fly as hale
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:24 pm 
Mrs. Miller

The vibe I got from Biron's quotes was that he chose the Isles over the Sabres because he was going to get more playing time there.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:00 pm 
Power Forward

we're stuck with lalame, lalemon, or whatever his name is

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:58 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I distinctly remember being angry all last year because the team never played as well for Miller as they did for Lalime... they took him for granted and leaned on him to fix their mistakes and enable their lazy play, while they knew that Lalime would not be able to handle it... I think that one game this year was an aberration...

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:24 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the team is scared in front of lalime. they played uptight, and when you play tight, you make more mistakes. this is no secret. the team didnt play better in front of lalime last year. they played shell hockey. play defense, and try not to make a mistake. they play their game in front of miller, which gives the opposing team chances and odd man rushes. but they play this way because they know, more often then not, miller will bail them out. this is the same way they played in front of hasek. just they didnt have the talent in front of hasek to make it work like they do now (with 2000-2001 season being the exception)

so, they play better in front of miller, its just that better means more puck possession, which looks like complete defensive abandonment at times.

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:30 pm 
Superstar Goalie

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
the team is scared in front of lalime. they played uptight, and when you play tight, you make more mistakes. this is no secret. the team didnt play better in front of lalime last year. they played shell hockey. play defense, and try not to make a mistake. they play their game in front of miller, which gives the opposing team chances and odd man rushes. but they play this way because they know, more often then not, miller will bail them out. this is the same way they played in front of hasek. just they didnt have the talent in front of hasek to make it work like they do now (with 2000-2001 season being the exception)

so, they play better in front of miller, its just that better means more puck possession, which looks like complete defensive abandonment at times.

That makes complete sense, and I've noticed it too, but I'm referring to when they're in their own end, in front of the goaltender... It was mentioned on the boards a few times, too.

I guess it could be considered a wash, though.

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:36 pm 
Captain Dynasty

they are a break out team, so thats what they are going for when millers in. get the puck and fly.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:26 pm 
Cup Winner

But they have been playing much more solid in front of Miller even on the defensive side of things.

For the first 5 games we held most teams to under 25 shots, We even held Atlanta to 27 shots and so far, The Islanders and the Panthers are the only teams to have shot more than 35 pucks at Miller.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.