It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

DieHardFan
 Post subject: This Team is Uncoachable
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 am 
Emergency Call-Up

What else can be said for this sorry-ass bunch that makes the SAME brainless, lazy mistakes game after game after game. The fact that they acknowledge knowing what they're doing wrong makes it even more pathetic. It's tough to coach dumb.

Why can't they get the puck out of their zone under a little bit of duress? Why can't they get the puck deep once they gain the red line? Why can't the D cover someone in front of the net (case in point, 3rd St. Louis goal tonight on the PP, when there were 2 Blues standing in front of Miller and only 1 Sabre anywhere close to the net). Where's the accountability from the captain and the other "leaders" for failing to stop the bleeding during the critical times of the game?

Lindy will likely fall on the sword before the all-star break concludes, but God help whoever gets suckered into taking the job.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:38 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I wouldn't say that this team is uncoachable. I think the dynamic of the team has changes to the point that Ruff can no longer effectively coach the team.

The system that Ruff is using isnt working. Whether its not working because they other team is tearing it apart or if the Sabres roster cant effectively run the point remains that its not working. A good coach would rework or develop a new system that plays to the strengths of the team.

We know this team has the talent. They need a coach who can use their strengths.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 am 
Franchise Defenseman

This coach is unteamable

;)

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:38 pm 
Page Side

DieHardFan wrote:
What else can be said for this sorry-ass bunch that makes the SAME brainless, lazy mistakes game after game after game. The fact that they acknowledge knowing what they're doing wrong makes it even more pathetic. It's tough to coach dumb.

Why can't they get the puck out of their zone under a little bit of duress? Why can't they get the puck deep once they gain the red line? Why can't the D cover someone in front of the net (case in point, 3rd St. Louis goal tonight on the PP, when there were 2 Blues standing in front of Miller and only 1 Sabre anywhere close to the net). Where's the accountability from the captain and the other "leaders" for failing to stop the bleeding during the critical times of the game?

Lindy will likely fall on the sword before the all-star break concludes, but God help whoever gets suckered into taking the job.

While I don't like the players we have on this roster, I also feel like we're seeing the same mistakes because Lindy's not doing a good enough job setting up systems.

Think about it; even dating back to the Tallinder-Lydman days, giveaways and failures to get it out of our own zone were a trend. The players are responsible for that, to a point, but I think a lot of these giveaways are happening because Lindy's system doesn't give the D enough passing options on the breakout.

The fact that it's happened with all kinds of different players lead me to believe that Lindy is the one more responsible for it.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:40 pm 
Superstar Goalie

At this point I think we need to dump Lindy. He's been the fucking coach since the year I graduated highschool. We have been skimming along for years now and the guys pink slip should be coming soon. I think the real issue is that the players have tuned him out. It's like being yelled at by your mom for not cleaning your room. Eventually you just don't listen.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:19 pm 
Star Sniper

It amazes me how defensive some people are about pointing out the reality of a sorely needed Management change here. I'm not talking about most of the people on here; but rather the uneducated general public.

No one is hating on Lindy. Coaches have a shelf life in every sport. In every country. In every era. His shelf life really started to sour a few years ago. It has finally gone totally rotten; and needs to be replaced.

Teams don't find players that all suit their coach. Teams find coaches that can work with their core of personnel. (And make personnel changes to an extent - though not as they might once have.)

Terry Pegula is one of the uneducated fans. He needs to start thinking like an owner, and an adult; and stop thinking like a 13 year old girl.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:43 pm 
Star Sniper

The things I have read around other sites mesh with what I've seen this season, and in seasons past - Lindy over coaches under a overly complicated system that burdens young players to the point that they focus more on not making mistakes than they do on playing their own game well. It's so damn complicated that it breaks down quicky and easily once players are out and replaced with new/different players. It breaks down quickly and easily when players are playing at less than 100% or in a slump. All of this is happening right now, but if the team played under a simpler system it wouldn't be so damn bad. Maybe the young players wouldn't have frozen stiff by now in their development. Maybe FAs wouldn't look like crap after coming to Buffalo. New coach please.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 am 
Emergency Call-Up

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:

While I don't like the players we have on this roster, I also feel like we're seeing the same mistakes because Lindy's not doing a good enough job setting up systems.

Think about it; even dating back to the Tallinder-Lydman days, giveaways and failures to get it out of our own zone were a trend. The players are responsible for that, to a point, but I think a lot of these giveaways are happening because Lindy's system doesn't give the D enough passing options on the breakout.

The fact that it's happened with all kinds of different players lead me to believe that Lindy is the one more responsible for it.

You have a reasonable point PSP, although the team has not been blessed lately with an abundance of physical stay at home defensemen either, for the most part. To your point, though, it seems like this team does focus way too much on quick breakouts defensively to generate fast rushes down the ice. If that isn't happening, this team generates almost zero offense. Back in 05 and 06, that worked well because of the rule changes and the personnel we had. Now, those quick breakouts rarely amount to anything other than the puck ending up in our net, or with our guys running around in the D zone because of a bad turnover.

But that still doesn't explain to me why this team is so careless with the puck through the neutral zone and never gets the puck deep to allow a forecheck to develop. To a man, everyone talks about getting pucks to the net and the importance of keeping it simple and getting it deep, but it rarely happens (unless their ready to make a line change). A good forecheck usually starts with control of the puck at the red line followed by a good dump-in. But seems that all these guys do is try to stickhandle or fancy-pass their way into a scoring opportunity with 3 or 4 guys lined up against them. And I find it hard to believe that Lindy's system (whatever the hell it is) encourages that.

So, IMO, they're still going to be a nightmare for any incoming coach to deal with, assuming there's not a major overhaul in the roster on the way.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 am 
Star Sniper

Until we see them under different leadership we don't know if they're coachable or not. If we don't find out, it will be harder to judge them properly.

Even Terry Pegula has to have a breaking point.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Bring back Ted nolan..... If your playing like poop. Just watch out ole coach will sleep with your significant other. Better be on your game!

E X C E L L E N C E

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am 
resident car guy

Speaking of Ted Nolan, I walked right by him at the Knighthawks game on Saturday.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm 
PP Quarterback

The lengths in which this team goes to ensure that they suck is almost admirable. If losing were an art form this seasons current road trip is Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa of suck.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:02 pm 
MegaDouche

ksquier89 wrote:
The lengths in which this team goes to ensure that they suck is almost admirable. If losing were an art form this seasons current road trip is Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa of suck.

quote of the week nomination

burner087
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:06 pm 
Brawler

Well based on ESPN Lindy isn't even coach anymore. congrats on the promotion. haha.

Who Buffalo won't move
11:04
AM ET
Buffalo Sabres

The Buffalo Sabres might be one of the more active teams at the trade deadline. Hockey Night in Canada's Mike MIlbury -- who knows GM Lindy Ruff pretty well -- says, "He's not going to fall prey to any knee-jerk reaction," which isn't a huge surprise.

That said, there are a handful of guys who won't go anywhere. Christian Ehrhoff and his 10-year contract are stuck in Buffalo. Robyn Regehr, his $4.02 million cap hit and his no-movement clause are probably staying, as well. Tyler Myers is off-limits. And they won't have takers for Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville or Ville Leino.

So the most interesting trade pieces are Derek Roy, Drew Stafford and maybe Brad Boyes. Roy has been mentioned in this space before, with teams like the Anaheim Ducks and Chicago Blackhawks inquiring. But if he goes on the market, expect a few more teams to join the fun -- and expect the Sabres to ask for prospects or picks in return, which will give them much appreciate cap relief.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:16 pm 
MegaDouche

burner087 wrote:
Well based on ESPN Lindy isn't even coach anymore. congrats on the promotion. haha.

Who Buffalo won't move
11:04
AM ET
Buffalo Sabres

The Buffalo Sabres might be one of the more active teams at the trade deadline. Hockey Night in Canada's Mike MIlbury -- who knows GM Lindy Ruff pretty well -- says, "He's not going to fall prey to any knee-jerk reaction," which isn't a huge surprise.

That said, there are a handful of guys who won't go anywhere. Christian Ehrhoff and his 10-year contract are stuck in Buffalo. Robyn Regehr, his $4.02 million cap hit and his no-movement clause are probably staying, as well. Tyler Myers is off-limits. And they won't have takers for Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville or Ville Leino.

So the most interesting trade pieces are Derek Roy, Drew Stafford and maybe Brad Boyes. Roy has been mentioned in this space before, with teams like the Anaheim Ducks and Chicago Blackhawks inquiring. But if he goes on the market, expect a few more teams to join the fun -- and expect the Sabres to ask for prospects or picks in return, which will give them much appreciate cap relief.

OMGTHEYMUSTKNOWSOMETHINGWEDONT!!!!! :P

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 pm 
Superstar Goalie

THAT'S why they suck. They don't have a coach! ZOMG!

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm 
Star Sniper

"Knee - jerk reaction???"

After several years of an inconsistent, and mostly lifeless team; the replacement of Lindy and Darcy would be more of an overly patient and slow developing change."

As Mike Keenan lamented the other day, he never got away with having his team under perform on the year; let alone over the course of four years.

:doh:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:36 pm 
Captain Clutch

I'm done, they broke me. I'm tired of the anger, frustration, and mental energy most of put into this team. For what? absolutely nothing. There will be no sweeping changes, there will be no front office shake up. Hell, I have virtually no hopes for any sort of trade by the deadline. Anyway, what the hell would a trade do anyway? Nothing, this team is destine to remain at the bottom of the standings for the remainder of the season. Maybe we'll get a decent draft position that Darcy will subsequently trade away for a washed up has-been and a couple of prospects that will do great in the AHL but will suck on this team.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:52 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
I'm done, they broke me. I'm tired of the anger, frustration, and mental energy most of put into this team. For what? absolutely nothing. There will be no sweeping changes, there will be no front office shake up. Hell, I have virtually no hopes for any sort of trade by the deadline. Anyway, what the hell would a trade do anyway? Nothing, this team is destine to remain at the bottom of the standings for the remainder of the season. Maybe we'll get a decent draft position that Darcy will subsequently trade away for a washed up has-been and a couple of prospects that will do great in the AHL but will suck on this team.

I would appreciate it if they fed me the usual bullshit I hear from the Orioles.

"We are in a process of rebuilding this year and are looking forward to success in the near future. It may not be this year or next year but it is coming."

my favorite for awhile was "We are not a big market team that can spend with the big boys."-Those days are over thanks to Mr. Pegula.

Ruff's coaching style does not fit the players we can afford to have on our team now.

I say offer Ruff a job scouting players or working with our AHL affiliate. He has earned his stay with this organization, just not coaching the team.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:53 am 
Power Forward

You just gotta find the right coach. Lindy juggles lines way to much for anyone to have any real chemistry, Even Miller pointed it out in one of his post game interviews. The Blues were what 14th in the West when Hitchcock took over? Look at them now, fighting for #1 spot in the conference and league on a game to game basis.