It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

Maybe this was discussed before, but the Sabres have more back-to-back games than any team in the league, and it's been this way for a number of years, where they're at or near the top. I've heard it's because management wants a lot of Friday home games, and because most other teams want Saturday games, there will necessarily be a lot of back to backs for any team that plays a lot on Fridays?

Why are Friday night games so important to us rather than Saturday games? Do we get more "weekend" games than other teams get weekend games? Weekend is the weekend. I can't imagine there would be any worse attendance (we sell out or nearly sell out most games), and I'm sick of Buffalo having to play so many back to backs - there is definitely a disadvantage there. Over the course of the season, it probably ends up costing us some points based on fatigue factor alone, and who knows, even added injuries?

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:21 pm 
PP Quarterback

i think people are more willing to just jump over to the stadium from work. i think we depend on that.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 pm 
Hart Winner

Yeah, Sabres games are really appealing to people who work Friday. The weekend is there, and you get to see a Sabres game. It's great.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

So you think that having more Saturday and fewer Friday games would be a problem specific to Buffalo that warrants all those extra back to backs? I still don't get it. I can't see how attendance or fan support would be significantly affected.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 pm 
PP Quarterback

Lol. The proof is in the pudding. Friday games have sold better. Far fewer people want to drive downtown on a saturday or sunday after they've been at home. On fridays, you get out at 5 and head to pearl street for dinner and drinks then walk across the street to the game. You can see that pattern when the sabres aren't good for a couple seasons. We are fickle because we don't have a lot of money so we don't waste it on a mediocre team. Especially with the added hassles of driving downtown to poor parking and stuff from the 'burbs. Remember that the fn center isn't exactly centrally located for a lot of people.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 pm 
PP Quarterback

Another thing: The Sabres don't want Sunday games because they don't want to interfere with the Bills, but this becomes moot after December.

@TJLuckman550

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:15 am 
Superstar Goalie

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Another thing: The Sabres don't want Sunday games because they don't want to interfere with the Bills, but this becomes moot after December September.

Fixed that for you.