It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

DieHardFan
 Post subject: Start Enroth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

Not likely, but Enroth deserves the chance to start the last few games. It's going to take a near miracle for Sabres to make up 3 points against the Caps with 3 games left, minus their top 2 defensemen, an obviously injured Vanek, and a more fatigued looking Miller. Give the kid a chance to get a little confidence back and a couple of wins under his belt (ridiculous that he has none since November) going into next season. And if the unthinkable happens and we make the playoffs, you've got a rested Miller back in the net.

Thanks again Lindy for mismanaging your goaltending for like the 27th year in a row.

BlueandYellow
 Post subject: Re: Start Enroth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:00 pm 
Hart Winner

1. We're still in a playoff race, start Miller until we (most likely will happen) are mathematically out of it, then start Enroth.
2. How did Lindy mismanage his goaltending???

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:06 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

BlueandYellow wrote:
1. We're still in a playoff race, start Miller until we (most likely will happen) are mathematically out of it, then start Enroth.

Miller has 5 shutouts in 8 weeks. Why would you start your backup at any point in there?

Plus Enroth has been shit for some time anyways.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Or not.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

Enroth has started only 1 game in 2 1/2 months (3-1 loss to Bruins), so it's impossible to say he's been playing like shit lately. Recurring theme - zero faith shown by Lindy in his backup, even BEFORE they started their run in late Feb.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Miller has 5 shutouts in 8 weeks. Why would you start your backup at any point in there?

I disagree. Enroth played decent his last 2 games, the team just didn't play well vs. the Bruins and the Flyers. He gave them a chance to win though. I said to a friend that I'd start Enroth against the Pens. Nobody knows what would have happened, hindsight is 20/20 though.

I agree with DHF. Ruff mismanaged his backup goalie once again. He just doesn't learn. Late in the season he always rides Miller till he gets fatigued and eveybody has lost faith in the backup because he didn't play for so long. I can't see any other team doing that even if they are pushing for the playoffs.
I think a winning streak is no reason to play your No. 1 till he starts losing. The schedule and his fatigue level should dictate the starting goaltender.

Montalo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
Squanto wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

I disagree. Enroth played decent his last 2 games, the team just didn't play well vs. the Bruins and the Flyers. He gave them a chance to win though. I said to a friend that I'd start Enroth against the Pens. Nobody knows what would have happened, hindsight is 20/20 though.

I agree with DHF. Ruff mismanaged his backup goalie once again. He just doesn't learn. Late in the season he always rides Miller till he gets fatigued and eveybody has lost faith in the backup because he didn't play for so long. I can't see any other team doing that even if they are pushing for the playoffs.
I think a winning streak is no reason to play your No. 1 till he starts losing. The schedule and his fatigue level should dictate the starting goaltender.

dont dont fuck with something that is working tho. but, once that first loss snaps a decent sized winning streak, then start your backup immediatly(or starter, depending on the senario)

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 pm 
PP Quarterback

The biggest issue and difference here is that we were fighting to MAYBE get a playoff spot, on a crazy hot streak, and in that case, you have to ride your starter like a horse out west.

in previous years, we'd had a spot secured and he rode the miller horse too long. that's different, to me- even if you're battling for position within the playoffs.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

more like TRADE enroth.

right? right?

no, you start miller.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:11 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

Problem is that they've been in desperation/playoff mode since early-mid February, so basically with 1/3 of the season left, every game has been a must-win. And that's way too long of a stretch to make your backup ride the pine, must-win or not.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 pm 
Captain Clutch

Definitely see both sides. What happens if, by the grace of the hockey gods, they get into the playoffs. Still ride miller like a 50 cent grocery store pony ride or do you give your back up, who hasn't played in a month and has had only 4 starts since Jan 1st, a nod???? The hockey gods haven't been that nice to the Sabres in a long long time so I'm sure it's not going to be a concern, ride'em cowboy!!!!

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

In an ideal world, you'd like to see the backup get more games. Newsflash here though: there are 3 games left and Buffalo is in 9th. Ryan Miller was 3rd star of the month in the league in March. To play anyone but Miller RIGHT NOW would be beyond idiotic. I can't believe it was even brought up as anything but a "isn't too bad the way this all worked out..." observation.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:18 pm 
Power Forward

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
more like TRADE enroth.

right? right?

no, you start miller.

trading enroth would be nothing more than a joke.

Miller will leave once he's UFA in a couple years so to trade a potential NHL starter at this point is stupid. Miller's streak has been haulted. 5 shutouts is fine in these final few weeks of the season but that also goes down hill when the run was stopped by a 5-3 loss and a 4-3loss to the miserable Leafs. The last 2 games Miller has definately been showing signs of fatigue. And any coach and any real fan of hockey can see that Miller is fatigued.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 pm 
Hart Winner

DieHardFan wrote:
Enroth has started only 1 game in 2 1/2 months (3-1 loss to Bruins), so it's impossible to say he's been playing like shit lately. Recurring theme - zero faith shown by Lindy in his backup, even BEFORE they started their run in late Feb.

A backup is a backup. Enroth is no where near as good as Miller is when he's on. If you want to win games and possibly secure a playoff birth, why start someone who isn't as good as your other guy?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

enroth hasnt won since the korean war. screw that.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
Power Forward

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

thats cuz enroth hasnt started since the korean war

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
Cup Winner

4 starts since January still equates out to 1 in every ten games.

Which is plenty of rest for a professional goalie.

Everyone bitches about fatigue and rest factor. Two days between a game, or even three is plenty of time for someone to recover. If it was 4 games in 5 nights or something like that you start a backup, but if it is 1 game here, one game there a few days later why would you?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:08 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Jammerz04 wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

thats cuz enroth hasnt started since the korean war

he hasnt won in like his last 11 starts.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Trying to argue this case can only mean people like to argue for the sake of arguing. I get that. But there's nothing to say here. Every game is do or die. You have to play the guy that gives you the best chance, and that is clearly Miller. It's pointless to argue anuthing else given the situation.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Trying to argue this case can only mean people like to argue for the sake of arguing. I get that. But there's nothing to say here. Every game is do or die. You have to play the guy that gives you the best chance, and that is clearly Miller. It's pointless to argue anuthing else given the situation.

This. We can clamber about Enroth starting all we want, but no matter how fatigued he is, he always gives the Sabres a better chance to win.

@TJLuckman550