All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:13 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Jammerz04 wrote:
[
Your argument is purely keep him because he did alright when the Sabres were almost on the out but really that's not even an argument it's just pure sympathy. Ya he did alright with money but once good ol billionaire Pegula tookover he shit the bed for about 75% of the season. I'd give him one more year just because of the injuries and this run we had but after that if we don't see the 2nd round we should be looking at other options.

Please review my posts. Specifically the one where I said this:

Quote:
To be 100% clear, I'm not opposed to Ruff or Regier moving on if it makes sense to do so.

I'm not cheerleading for either person to be retained. I'm simply pointing out the poor logic in some of the reasons put forth on why they should be fired.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 pm 
Power Forward

Squanto wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:
[
Your argument is purely keep him because he did alright when the Sabres were almost on the out but really that's not even an argument it's just pure sympathy. Ya he did alright with money but once good ol billionaire Pegula tookover he shit the bed for about 75% of the season. I'd give him one more year just because of the injuries and this run we had but after that if we don't see the 2nd round we should be looking at other options.

Please review my posts. Specifically the one where I said this:

Quote:
To be 100% clear, I'm not opposed to Ruff or Regier moving on if it makes sense to do so.

I'm not cheerleading for either person to be retained. I'm simply pointing out the poor logic in some of the reasons put forth on why they should be fired.

Ya I understand that. But if you look at your posts in this thread then you will see that your main target point is that Ruff did alright when the Sabres were in the brink of being out of business. Don't get me wrong that's pretty hard situation to deal with. But all I'm saying is that ya he did alright with that team that had no money but with a team that had money he hasn't shown much. Just the same ol' Sabres. We had a pretty good team last year and we shit the bed in about the first 1/2 of the season then caught fire same thing this season. IMO he hasn't shown much to really keep him on. Since Briere and Drury left this team has been nothing but an after thought. The guy raggs on players he doesn't like so much that it destroys confidence see Vanek, Afinogenov etc... And thats not what a coach is supposed to do.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:48 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Uh, that's not my point at all.

My point is that it's not fair to hold Ruff/Regier accountable for not making the playoffs when the team was on the verge of folding. I've never asserted that R/R did "ok" during those years.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:23 pm 
Power Forward

Squanto wrote:
Uh, that's not my point at all.

My point is that it's not fair to hold Ruff/Regier accountable for not making the playoffs when the team was on the verge of folding. I've never asserted that R/R did "ok" during those years.

alright sorry must have read wrong

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 pm 
Star Sniper

Edit: Image

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Completely different situations.

The Sabres operated on a shoestring budget. Their payroll at the time was right around $30M, at the absolute bottom of the league. The NHL refused to let the Sabres take on any salary.

The Phoenix Coyotes, even being league owned, are still required to spend to the salary floor, which today is $48.3M. However, the NHL has allowed them to make player moves, and spend additional money since they struck a deal with Glendale to cover the team's losses. Their current salary expense is $55M, almost double what the Sabres were allowed to spend.

I'm also not saying Regier should get a completely free pass for those years, but their situation does deserve some consideration.

The reason I say your argument is weak is that the 10 season mark is just an arbitrary number you pulled from a hat. If you're going to evaluate their performance, evaluate their entire time here.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 am 
Power Forward

Squanto wrote:

The Sabres operated on a shoestring budget. Their payroll at the time was right around $30M, at the absolute bottom of the league. The NHL refused to let the Sabres take on any salary.

The Phoenix Coyotes, even being league owned, are still required to spend to the salary floor, which today is $48.3M. However, the NHL has allowed them to make player moves, and spend additional money since they struck a deal with Glendale to cover the team's losses. Their current salary expense is $55M, almost double what the Sabres were allowed to spend.

I'm also not saying Regier should get a completely free pass for those years, but their situation does deserve some consideration.

The reason I say your argument is weak is that the 10 season mark is just an arbitrary number you pulled from a hat. If you're going to evaluate their performance, evaluate their entire time here.

I dunno Squanto. I don't think you can evaluate there performances from there whole time here well you could but that's another story. You gotta look at it from the stand point of the "New NHL." Because that's the era we are living in right now. With the salary cap and all it's a whole different story. If Sabres were controlled by the league in the New NHL then they'd have the same freedom that the Coyotes have right now.

As it sits right now the R & R connection has only made the playoffs 4? out of 7 seasons post lockout. That's barely 50%. Not really acceptable if you ask me. Plus they are 0-1 when having 1 of the highest payrolls in the league. And that # could easily be 2 out of 7 if we hadn't struck gold in the way that the R & R connection "knew" how the new NHL would be played with the like of Drury, Briere and Campbell.

Yes injuries were a major part of the reason why we missed the playoffs but the coaching on Lindy's side wasn't good at all.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am 
MegaDouche

Jammerz04 wrote:
Squanto wrote:

I dunno Squanto. I don't think you can evaluate there performances from there whole time here well you could but that's another story. You gotta look at it from the stand point of the "New NHL." Because that's the era we are living in right now. With the salary cap and all it's a whole different story. If Sabres were controlled by the league in the New NHL then they'd have the same freedom that the Coyotes have right now.

As it sits right now the R & R connection has only made the playoffs 4? out of 7 seasons post lockout. That's barely 50%. Not really acceptable if you ask me. Plus they are 0-1 when having 1 of the highest payrolls in the league. And that # could easily be 2 out of 7 if we hadn't struck gold in the way that the R & R connection "knew" how the new NHL would be played with the like of Drury, Briere and Campbell.

Yes injuries were a major part of the reason why we missed the playoffs but the coaching on Lindy's side wasn't good at all.

When half of the teams in the NHL make the postseason, IDK how you can claim that getting into the playoffs over half the time is bad. Then bringing in 0/1 to try to add to anything is a pitiful attempt at supporting evidence.

You're better off at mentioning that we haven't gone far in the playoffs in recent years (when we've made it) and without knowing what actually goes on in the locker room, (add to it how highly regarded Ruff is to the NHL) I can't see how Ruff is the problem.

With Injuries, which has been our killer, I can see some blame going to the fitness staff, but even then the fitness staff could be telling the players the right things to do, but the players could just be ignoring that. (same argument could be made for Lindy's words).

The season is dissapointing, I think we blame the players for underperforming, because in the end, they're the ones playing on the ice at gametime.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:37 am 
Power Forward

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:
Squanto wrote:

When half of the teams in the NHL make the postseason, IDK how you can claim that getting into the playoffs over half the time is bad. Then bringing in 0/1 to try to add to anything is a pitiful attempt at supporting evidence.

You're better off at mentioning that we haven't gone far in the playoffs in recent years (when we've made it) and without knowing what actually goes on in the locker room, (add to it how highly regarded Ruff is to the NHL) I can't see how Ruff is the problem.

With Injuries, which has been our killer, I can see some blame going to the fitness staff, but even then the fitness staff could be telling the players the right things to do, but the players could just be ignoring that. (same argument could be made for Lindy's words).

The season is dissapointing, I think we blame the players for underperforming, because in the end, they're the ones playing on the ice at gametime.

Ok ur argument is 50% of the teams make the playoffs and we've made it a lil over 50% and that's acceptable? Detroit's made it 21-22 seasons in a row now. So ya 50% of the time is unacceptable . Just like it's unacceptable in Calgary it's unacceptable here.

Players are partial in the blame all I got to say is look at St. Louis and Washington. Both were at bottom of there respected conferences but once new coaches took over the players actually fought to get into the playoffs and St. Louis battles until they almost had the Presidents Trophy. So ya coaching is to blame here. Players under perform but it's the coaches job to get those players performing again and see what is the matter with his game. The player works on his game day in and day out but caoches job to over see that and make adjustments.

Also without Briere and Drury we've made the playoffs twice I believe. And many coaches are highly regarded in the NHL doesn't mean they shouldn't be fired.

How's 0-1 comment pitiful? It's true isn't it. The argument was saying how shoe strung we were back when we were bankrupt and they did alright but once we were one the highest in the nhl payroll wise we were 0-1 making the playoffs. fits right into the argument guy.

And also u wanna blame the fitness staff for what? Cuz players got injured on the ice? LOL now that's pretty pitiful. Fitness staff has nothing to do with what happens on the ice during games. If a player gets injured it's usually no ones fault or an opposing players fault not fitness staffs. If the player isn't fit or not in shape to take the ice the fitness staff and doctors make the right decision and sit the guy.

But whatever I was just pointing out to Squanto some facts that he shouldn't loook to far back into the comparisons because we are living in a new age of hockey and shit was different back in the pre lock out days to pro lokcout days.

PS...

Squanto just adding a few facts here and there sorry if it sounded kind assholish.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 am 
Cup Winner

Do you believe the stuff you're saying?

Over 50% in a sport with so little parity is fucking fantastic if you ask me.

But if we don't win the cup every year it's a failure of massive proportions then.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.