It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am 
Superstar Goalie

Quote:
The departure of Derek Roy should do marvels for the entire team’s performance. In a very simplified elaboration, the locker room is much happier when the stars on the team are made up of players who actually want to be on the team. This wasn’t the case for Roy and while the Sabres will have to find ways to make up for the drop in performance, they’ll be better for it long term. Steve Ott can play center, but apparently prefers to play on the wing. While Buffalo has stated they will continue to look for depth at center, the big winner in this circumstance is Cody Hodgson who is now penciled in for top line duty. Ott will slot into a second or third line role and provide the same type of production he did in Dallas, while Porter and Mancari are simply depth signings, and David Leggio is secured as the team’s third string goaltender. Bringing in John Scott gives Buffalo two defensemen who are 6’7” or higher (the other being 6’8” Tyler Myers). Regardless of how skilled a player is, it’s tougher when you have to maneuver against bodies that big. The end result could be a few less goals scored against and a moderate rise in plus/minus for the team.

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=99

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:04 am 
PP Quarterback

I've never heard anything about Roy not wanting to be in Buffalo or teammates not liking him.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:22 am 
Superstar Goalie

Well he did publicly call out Ruff for publicly calling out the players at the end of the season. That seems like the words of a guy who doesn't want to be there in my opinion.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am 
PP Quarterback

I don't read too much into that. Everybody fights sometimes. Miller's whined about Ruff too.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 am 
PP Quarterback

PatGreen wrote:
Miller's whined about Ruff too.

Miller also got fucked in the arse by Lucic and not one teammate came to his defense. I do not care if you are big or small at least defend his honor. That shit would piss me off as well. Esp if someone volunteered themselves to get fucked up by Lucic and Ruff said no. I would call out Ruff after that. Lets Ruff know he is being a little bitch.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ksquier89 wrote:
PatGreen wrote:

Miller also got fucked in the arse by Lucic and not one teammate came to his defense. I do not care if you are big or small at least defend his honor. That shit would piss me off as well. Esp if someone volunteered themselves to get fucked up by Lucic and Ruff said no. I would call out Ruff after that. Lets Ruff know he is being a little bitch.

Uh, what?

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:51 pm 
PP Quarterback

yeah, seconded...what happened here

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:03 pm 
Superstar Goalie

ksquier89 wrote:
PatGreen wrote:

I agree that the team is better without Roy.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:36 pm 
Hart Winner

No more puck hogging W00T

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 pm 
Star Sniper

The writer was making stuff up about Roy, and lost all credibility when he said Scott is a d-man. He's played forward for two years now, and anyone remotely involved in hockey should know Buffalo has no room for Scott on the blueline.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
The writer was making stuff up about Roy, and lost all credibility when he said Scott is a d-man. He's played forward for two years now, and anyone remotely involved in hockey should know Buffalo has no room for Scott on the blueline.

Scott is primarily a defenseman. He has recent time at forward to find ice time, but he's played his entire career on the blue line. Sabres probably don't have a use for him back there, but the writer certainly doesn't get it wrong.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:23 pm 
Star Sniper

Scott hasn't played his entire career on the blue line if he's played the last two years as a forward. The guy said Scott gives Buffalo two big d-men. Scott won't even be on the depth chart as a d-man, let alone actually play there given Buffalo's depth there. So yeah...he lost all credibilty.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:34 pm 
PP Quarterback

Scott hasn't played his entire career on the blue line if he's played the last two years as a forward. The guy said Scott gives Buffalo two big d-men. Scott won't even be on the depth chart as a d-man, let alone actually play there given Buffalo's depth there. So yeah...he lost all credibilty.

Not really, since he'll be in the line-up, and his primary position is defense.

When you're an enforcer, does it really matter what position you play? Scott is what he is: a guy that's going to fight when the Sabres need him to fight, end of story.

The writer was absolutely correct calling him a defenseman, though.

@TJLuckman550

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
No more puck hogging W00T

We just got back 30 seconds of our powerplay.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:05 pm 
Star Sniper

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Not really, since he'll be in the line-up, and his primary position is defense.

When you're an enforcer, does it really matter what position you play? Scott is what he is: a guy that's going to fight when the Sabres need him to fight, end of story.

The writer was absolutely correct calling him a defenseman, though.

He'll be in the line-up as a forward, unless four d-men get hurt in one game.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:55 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

His forward time has mostly been injury fill in.

But ok. Spin it whatever way you like.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 am 
Star Sniper

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/173384 ... John-Scott
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399743
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636880

So a local site, TSN, and NHL.com, and the Sabres own website all refer to him as a forward so I guess they're spinning it too. I get the fact that Scott could possibly play D in a pinch, but...

1) He wasn't very good at D when he was younger because he's VERY slow. Now he's older and slower.
2) Buffalo has a glut of d-men that leaves no room for Scott, but not as deep on bottom six forwards.
3) Ruff wants mobile d-men anyway, and we (I) saw how slow even Regehr looked at times, Scott would be a pylon back there.

I'm not sure how I have to spin anything to explain how Scott will play forward and not defense in Buffalo. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for anyone to cling on that he's still a d-man.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 am 
Superstar Goalie

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:59 pm 
resident car guy

Everything I've seen lists him as a goalie. I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:09 pm 
PP Quarterback

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/173384/4/Sabres-add-size-Signing-Big-Forward-John-Scott
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399743

So a local site, TSN, and NHL.com, and the Sabres own website all refer to him as a forward so I guess they're spinning it too. I get the fact that Scott could possibly play D in a pinch, but...

1) He wasn't very good at D when he was younger because he's VERY slow. Now he's older and slower.
2) Buffalo has a glut of d-men that leaves no room for Scott, but not as deep on bottom six forwards.
3) Ruff wants mobile d-men anyway, and we (I) saw how slow even Regehr looked at times, Scott would be a pylon back there.

I'm not sure how I have to spin anything to explain how Scott will play forward and not defense in Buffalo. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for anyone to cling on that he's still a d-man.

Again, it doesn't really matter. He's here for fists, not for hockey.

@TJLuckman550