It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

BlueandYellow
 Post subject: Re: Ennis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 pm 
Hart Winner

Don't get why people randomly report shit that isn't true.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 am 
PP Quarterback

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

@TJLuckman550

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:29 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Don't know why people are freaking out about Ennis...we'll match any offer to him, within reason. If some team wants to offer him 50M over 7 years, thats 4 first round picks in our pocket. With Grigorenko and Girgensons looking, and probably being able to crack the roster out of camp, and with Hodgson, and McCormick on the roster, does Ennis really fit the role of a center anymore? I'm not saying he's expendable, because I feel like Stafford, and Gerbe are more expendable at this point, but hey if someone wants to throw us 4 1st rounders for Ennis why not take it? It's not like Ennis is going to be our 3rd line center, nor should he be. And on the wing he's proven effective, but more effective in the middle. I'm not saying send him on his way, but if the right offer comes, I think you have to take it, especially from Columbus, or the Isles who tried to improve this off season and failed miserably. 4 First rounders in the top 5-10 picks easily negates the loss of Ennis, because he wont ever be a 90+ point guy, just lacks the size for the way the game is being played now.

Squanto 7/27/2010

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:28 am 
Hart Winner

jvaccaro6 wrote:
Don't know why people are freaking out about Ennis...we'll match any offer to him, within reason. If some team wants to offer him 50M over 7 years, thats 4 first round picks in our pocket. With Grigorenko and Girgensons looking, and probably being able to crack the roster out of camp, and with Hodgson, and McCormick on the roster, does Ennis really fit the role of a center anymore? I'm not saying he's expendable, because I feel like Stafford, and Gerbe are more expendable at this point, but hey if someone wants to throw us 4 1st rounders for Ennis why not take it? It's not like Ennis is going to be our 3rd line center, nor should he be. And on the wing he's proven effective, but more effective in the middle. I'm not saying send him on his way, but if the right offer comes, I think you have to take it, especially from Columbus, or the Isles who tried to improve this off season and failed miserably. 4 First rounders in the top 5-10 picks easily negates the loss of Ennis, because he wont ever be a 90+ point guy, just lacks the size for the way the game is being played now.

Martin St. Louis
2009-2010 Lightning 82 29 65 94
2010-2011 Lightning 82 31 68 99
2011-2012 Lightning 77 25 49 74

I agree with everything else (though I think keeping centers around is still a top priority).

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

BlueandYellow wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

Martin St. Louis
2009-2010 Lightning 82 29 65 94
2010-2011 Lightning 82 31 68 99
2011-2012 Lightning 77 25 49 74

I agree with everything else (though I think keeping centers around is still a top priority).

In all fairness St. Louis has had the luxury of playing with Stamkos and Lecavileir the vast majority of his career, so I think that kind of skews his numbers a bit. But I do understand the opinion.

Squanto 7/27/2010

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am 
PP Quarterback

i more fairness, that's one player. what about brian gionta after the game changed again?

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:54 pm 
Hart Winner

Ray Whitney
5'10"
2011-2012 Coyotes 82 24 53 77

Danny Briere, Mike Cammelleri

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:55 pm 
PP Quarterback

If the benchmark is 5'10" with Whitney, then:
Saku Koivu: 5'10"
Brad Marchand: 5'9"
Marc Savard: 5'10" (Even though his brain is applesauce, he was still a great small player.
Derek Roy: 5'9" (We rag on him, but he was one of our most consistent players up until about the injury two seasons ago.)
Brian Campbell: 5'10" (As a defensman!)
Brian Gionta has had plenty of success at 5'7"

I'm halfway through the teams at this point. It's clear that to be above 6'0" in this league is an advantage for the players, but there are plenty of players who know how to play big in small frames.

Players to keep an eye on:
Cam Atkinson (Columbus Blue Jackets) 5'7": 14 points (7 and 7) in 27 games last year for the BJ's.

@TJLuckman550