All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ksquier89 wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
When Ott said he hopes he can bring "team toughness" to the Sabres I got a big grin on my face.
It's about flippin time.

I fucking love this guy Ott. Seems like a genuinely good dude who is willing to put the team ahead of individual statistics. That type of humility is going to wear off on everyone on the team. If you have a dude who is busting his nuts all over the ice and your aren't you will look/feel like a complete ass.

Otter is going to win Buffalo over fast. Prototypical blue collar player who will come bust his ass every day, and be a good quote in the paper.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Remember the last time we had someone who wanted to change the attitude of this team?

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ksquier89 wrote:
If you have a dude who is busting his nuts all over the ice and your aren't you will look/feel like a complete ass.

Or maybe if you have enough asses out there, a guy will end up busting his nuts all over the ice...

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Sign Shane Doan or Semin? I understand Semin has work ethic issues and LR probably hates him but if you get his scoring going.

Semin caught a plane to his homeland. I'm still undecided if Doan would work for the Sabres.

Out of everything they did this summer, Ott was the biggest plus. As for making this team tougher to play ahainst, one or two players won't do it. Its more of a Philosophy that the whole team needs to buy into. We are still pretty small for that to happen. Also, being a "tough" team doesn't mean shit unless the score goals.

I'm definitely interested in how this season (if it happens) will look like.

Semin is in free agency. He didn't go to Russia.

True, I thought he pulled the trigger. I guess he's feeling out the NHL teams and what will happen with the CBA. He's too hot/cold for big money. I'm still up in the with Doan. He is a great blue collar player but he is a marked man by the officials as a repeat offender. I hope he doesn't push it to prove himself to the team get hemmed up with a long suspension.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm 
Hart Winner

He most likely will not want big money, seeing as how no teem has seemed to want him for that much yet.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NYIntensity wrote:
Remember the last time we had someone who wanted to change the attitude of this team?

it seems like the last 3 seasons have been "__insert player__ is going to change the attitude of this team"

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:07 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
He most likely will not want big money, seeing as how no teem has seemed to want him for that much yet.

If he doesn't make bank here, he certainly will over there. That's why I thought he jumped ship. I guess we'll see what happens.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:11 pm 
Captain Clutch

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
The Kings weren't an anomoly not just because they were an early pick (a talented team), they got their scoring into high gear down the stretch and entering the playoffs. They wouldn't have won the Cup if they hadn't finally started to score goals. That was due to Brown, Carter, and Richards (not to mention Kopitar but he was producing all season).

So yeah, you do need scoring to go along with toughness. I don't think Buffalo is that far away though. They could have Ott and Foligno on different lines, and then the 4th line of McCormick, Kaleta, and sometimes Scott. The defense still isn't very scary though. Regehr is tough but not a big hitter or fighter. Myers plays physical sometimes but he's not a big hitter or fighter. Weber might only be the #7 or #8 guy and McNabb will probably play in Rochester. I'd like to see more nastiness from that group eventually, but as long as they can stay healthy they should be so effective at clearing the zone and creating offensive chances that it might not matter.

Don't forget that they had a coaching changine in the middle of the season. That seems to light a fire under their asses..... :think:

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Wozniak wrote:
NYIntensity wrote:

it seems like the last 3 seasons have been "__insert player__ is going to change the attitude of this team"

Yeah...well we had it with Rivet, then we hoped Montador would give us something in addition to a Calder Trophy season with Myers, then we had the sale of the team, and we prayed when Ehrhoff, Regehr, and Leino were signed that our scoring woes would change. We've yet to see any player make the difference that we all credit Drury for making in 2005/06.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:43 am 
PP Quarterback

The thing about Ott. He literally gives no fucks.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:48 am 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

"Check NHL.com" :lol:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Playing devils advocate here but how many of you will throw fit if he does something to get a long suspension. He's already been suspended several times and its bound to happen again.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 am 
Star Sniper

Suspension or not, Sabres fans will have to get used to stuff like in that Iginla video. He hit Iginla in the shoulder from the (blind) side. Iginla wasn't hurt and play didn't stop, but yet Ott was sent to the box for playing hard.

We're going to appreciate Ott's effort, but get pissed off on a regular basis with both unfair calls against him and the shit storms he starts with occasional dirty hits (and inevitable suspension).

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:21 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Playing devils advocate here but how many of you will throw fit if he does something to get a long suspension. He's already been suspended several times and its bound to happen again.

To play lucipher to your devils advocate. Would it not be nice to have a player who will take a stand and willingly risk suspension to back a fallen comrade or to inflict his physical dominance on another team that leads to a victory otherwise not realized in circumstances like last year? His being on this team will make this team better. It allows players who had no physical backer to do/try things they wouldn't otherwise try. Hit player on our team ,and hurt him, and then you have to worry about watching your back for not only the rest of the game but the year. We have bruisers to be glorified bodyguards to players. We have guys who can put it away. Also, Leino will do just fine this year. His on ice vision and playmaking ability will land him some serious assist totals this year. Mark my words. He has made passes I did not think were even possible.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

how would ott playing hard (possibly dirty) and getting suspended help the rest of the team? if the non-physical players dont have their backer because he got kicked then they're only going to be able to do what they did last year.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:53 pm 
Captain Clutch

ksquier89 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

To play lucipher to your devils advocate. Would it not be nice to have a player who will take a stand and willingly risk suspension to back a fallen comrade or to inflict his physical dominance on another team that leads to a victory otherwise not realized in circumstances like last year? His being on this team will make this team better. It allows players who had no physical backer to do/try things they wouldn't otherwise try. Hit player on our team ,and hurt him, and then you have to worry about watching your back for not only the rest of the game but the year. We have bruisers to be glorified bodyguards to players. We have guys who can put it away. Also, Leino will do just fine this year. His on ice vision and playmaking ability will land him some serious assist totals this year. Mark my words. He has made passes I did not think were even possible.

Its nice to have a player who will drop'em the second there is some shit being started buuuuuuuut he can also be a very dirty player. His suspensions consisted of head hunting Leopold (which will make for a very interesting locker room) and gouging Travis Moen eyes. I foresee a 10 gamer for the big guy this season.... Oh and that is awfully bold prediction about Leino. He sucked ass bad last season in Lindy's system and I'm sure it wasn't because we didn't have a tough team

HipKat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:31 am 
Garbage Man

Who cares, I'm still laughing my ASS off over "I'm 5th in the league. Check out NHL.com..."

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:46 pm 
Cup Winner

HipKat wrote:
Who cares, I'm still laughing my ASS off over "I'm 5th in the league. Check out NHL.com..."

Yea, it was a funny quote.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.