Jammerz04
 Post subject: Re: Roster 2013
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm 
Power Forward

ksquier89 wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
I really want to see the Foligno, Stafford, and Ennis line again. At least try to see if it still has that magic.

It will have that magic but Leino needs to be around playmakers and people with size if we want to get anything comparable to what he produced during his tenure with the Flyers. Ennis and Stafford can provide size and playmaking ability.

Foligno will fit in wherever we put him. I like him and Gerbe together with a solidified vet like Otter.

I'd rather stick Leino elsewhere. He didn't do anything when he was given the opportunity on good lines with good players last season and I doubt he will this year. You gotta remember Leino was playing with an awesome offensive line with Briere and Giroux before he left. The best thing to do now is just to buy Leino out. To win games we gotta go with whatever works and Stafford, Ennis and Foligno together were waaaaay to good last year to split up.

Let me get this right. You would like to take what worked for Leino in the past, and is the very reason we are paying him as much as we are, and place him on something that did not work last year. Now in not saying move Leino up right away. Let the line run it's course and if it runs out of steam get Leino around playmakers comparable to what he had in Philly. It worked once before, right? The guy shows flashes of absolute brilliance and until he gets a full season acclimated to his teammates and system I am not willing to eat his contract and say tough shit. His on ice vision is superb and his knack for coming up with pucks in the corners and creating opportunities out of nothing is amongst the best on our team. Toss him on the wing with players who can score and he will put up serious points. I still have faith in the guy. If it doesn't work out after this year and he goes Boyes on us then I will eat my words. I don't think this guy is a Boyes though.

No what I'm saying is we gave this guy many opportunities on the PP on the top two lines last year and all he could produce was 25 points. Before coming here he only had one season where he had more than 9 pts. I think Darcy jumped the gun when he signed Leino. Now I'm not saying keep him on the third line obviously Scruff McRuff is known for his line juggling and he will eventually be inserted into the top lines but if its anything like last year I'd get rid of him with a buyout because no one will take him with the salary he has unless theres a teams still under the cap?

adambuffalo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm 
First Rounder

I always liked Jochen and if we had room I would sign him. We just don't have the room. 6 games for Mannheim and he has 5 goals and 8 assists playing along side Pommers. Also, Ott is not a center. He takes faceoffs, but then slides to the wing. Lines should/could be:
vanek, hodgson, pominville
foligno, ennis, stafford
ott, gerbe (or hecht), leino
ellis, mccormick, kaleta

let grigorenko finish with the remparts. there last regular season game is March 17th. They are still in the playoff hunt, but either way they would be finished before the end of the NHL season and if we make the playoffs we could bring him up at that time. He'll get more ice time there and it's a good relationship Buffalo has with Roy. Which is also good since we signed his son.

"I was playing with him all year long, I think he was one of the best linemates in my life," Grigorenko said. "With him, he makes you better. He’ll always support you and he works hard and he wins all his battles and he’s a really smart player and he always passes the puck. For me, I really enjoyed to play with him."

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I think we are forgetting 2 very important facts here guys.

Gerbe had a procedure on his back, and is expected to miss all of camp, and time into the season.

McCormick's finger is still messed up too, and he could miss "a lot" of time this year if it hasn't healed correctly. Finger injuries are nasty to 3rd and 4th line guys, especially those who fight.

I also think a lot of people are forgetting about Kevin Porter and Brian Flynn, both of which are having excellent seasons in the AHL, and would make great 3rd line type of players in our system. Both are strong two way players, and can kill penalties. Both things that make people productive and successful in the Sabres organization.

What that being said, here are my lines.

LW - C - RW
Vanek Hodgson Pommers
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Kaleta Ott Flynn
Scott Ellis Leino

Myers-Regehr
Leopold-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Sulzer
Weber

Squanto 7/27/2010

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 pm 
Cup Winner

I knew I didn't just see things when I saw Gerbe was injured, but I couldn't remember where I saw it at.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 am 
PP Quarterback

jvaccaro6 wrote:

Gerbe had a procedure on his back, and is expected to miss all of camp, and time into the season.

McCormick's finger is still messed up too, and he could miss "a lot" of time this year if it hasn't healed correctly. Finger injuries are nasty to 3rd and 4th line guys, especially those who fight.

I also think a lot of people are forgetting about Kevin Porter and Brian Flynn, both of which are having excellent seasons in the AHL, and would make great 3rd line type of players in our system. Both are strong two way players, and can kill penalties. Both things that make people productive and successful in the Sabres organization.

LW - C - RW
Vanek Hodgson Pommers
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Kaleta Ott Flynn
Scott Ellis Leino

Myers-Regehr
Leopold-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Sulzer
Weber

I've watched Flynn play, and I agree that he's been doing well, but there's no way he makes the team out of camp. As a call-up, probably, but I don't see how he makes it out of camp.

@TJLuckman550

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

LW - C - RW
Vanek Hodgson Pommers
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Kaleta Ott Flynn
Scott Ellis Leino

Myers-Regehr
Leopold-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Sulzer
Weber

I've watched Flynn play, and I agree that he's been doing well, but there's no way he makes the team out of camp. As a call-up, probably, but I don't see how he makes it out of camp.

Gerbe and McCormick are going to miss the start of the season, who is going to step in from them with Tropp out? Perhaps Porter but that's about it. Our two draft picks aren't wingers, and it wouldn't be worth putting them in Gerbe's 3rd line role anyway.

So there's a damn good chance Flynn does actually make this team out of camp, then it's his job to beat out Ellis for playing time. I don't think we're going to see McCormick very much, if at all this season from what I have read and heard. If it's taken 5 months for a finger to get fixed, and it's still not right, there is a serious issue, similar to what Hecht had battled a season or two ago.

Squanto 7/27/2010

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:23 pm 
Hart Winner

If we have a wing issue and Grigorenko/Zemmy actually do make the team, we could always move Ennis back to wing and replace his C position with one of them.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:52 am 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
If we have a wing issue and Grigorenko/Zemmy actually do make the team, we could always move Ennis back to wing and replace his C position with one of them.

There is a 0% chance Girgensens makes the team. He's very raw, and he's going to need a lot of time in the AHL to catch up. Honestly, he would have been a lot better off going off to college for a while.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:42 am 
PP Quarterback

I think a year and a half in AHL will do Girgs fine. I see Grigs up here this year at some point, if not right out of the gate. I think he will
get a couple games get sent down and get a full call up after the trade deadline. Lest we not forget we have 9 NHL ready defensemen. A deal is going to be made. We could have ourselves a center so Grigs can get some needed time before coming up.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 am 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

There is a 0% chance Girgensens makes the team. He's very raw, and he's going to need a lot of time in the AHL to catch up. Honestly, he would have been a lot better off going off to college for a while.

A lot of people were very excited about drafting Girgenson and now most guys are saying/writing that he'll need a long time to develop.
Has anybody here seen him play? Is his talent level lower than expected?

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 am 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

A lot of people were very excited about drafting Girgenson and now most guys are saying/writing that he'll need a long time to develop.

I think most would agree he is just a year behind Grigs in regards to development. So i would say middle to end of next year he gets called up and has a chance to make the roster but will probably wait until the beginning of the following year to start. Grigs, IMO, will be on this roster by years end. Whether that be wing or center.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

I've been going to Rochester about once a week for the past two months. Girgensens isn't getting a lot of ice time. He'll show flashes of brilliance here and there, but he's not doing it at a consistent enough level yet.

Like I said, he would have been better off going to college first, then getting so pro time. Making the jump to the pros right away isn't easy for anybody, so it'll take him some time. He's a 16th overall pick, so it's not really about his talent level more than it being he just needs a lot more seasoning.

@TJLuckman550

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:39 pm 
Power Forward

jvaccaro6 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

LW - C - RW
Vanek Hodgson Pommers
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Kaleta Ott Flynn
Scott Ellis Leino

Myers-Regehr
Leopold-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Sulzer
Weber

Gerbe and McCormick are going to miss the start of the season, who is going to step in from them with Tropp out? Perhaps Porter but that's about it. Our two draft picks aren't wingers, and it wouldn't be worth putting them in Gerbe's 3rd line role anyway.

So there's a damn good chance Flynn does actually make this team out of camp, then it's his job to beat out Ellis for playing time. I don't think we're going to see McCormick very much, if at all this season from what I have read and heard. If it's taken 5 months for a finger to get fixed, and it's still not right, there is a serious issue, similar to what Hecht had battled a season or two ago.

That's good news for us. McCormick has done nothing for us since he got that raise after that 1 good season he had couple years ago. We do have an abundance of NHL dfensemen so maybe a trade could be worked out for another winger. With Brennan, Pysk and McNabb doing great in the AHL I do not see Leopold or Regher back next season so it'd be a good time to start dealing. I know for a fact that Philly is in desperate need of NHL reday D-Men. I do a deal involving Pardy or Leopold or both. Regher should stay just incase we make the loffs.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 am 
PP Quarterback

Jammerz04 wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

LW - C - RW
Vanek Hodgson Pommers
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Kaleta Ott Flynn
Scott Ellis Leino

Myers-Regehr
Leopold-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Sulzer
Weber

That's good news for us. McCormick has done nothing for us since he got that raise after that 1 good season he had couple years ago. We do have an abundance of NHL dfensemen so maybe a trade could be worked out for another winger. With Brennan, Pysk and McNabb doing great in the AHL I do not see Leopold or Regher back next season so it'd be a good time to start dealing. I know for a fact that Philly is in desperate need of NHL reday D-Men. I do a deal involving Pardy or Leopold or both. Regher should stay just incase we make the loffs.

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but McNabb nor Pysyk are doing great in the AHL. Brennan has been outstanding, but we still need to see if his game will translate in the NHL, which is probably why the Sabres are so hesitant to pull the trigger. Brennan's going to have to have an awesome camp to crack the top 7.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 am 
Cup Winner

He pulls his info from what he thinks he read or heard.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:29 am 
PP Quarterback

Another question for the guys who could watch Amerks games. How is Luke Adam playing?
I completely forgot about him and he probably won't be part of the camp (Darcy mentioned that only Foligno and Hodgson were pulled out of the Rochester line-up).

What happened to him? 1,5 years ago he looked so promising.

Btw, I like our depth at defense and wouldn't like a deal right away unless somebody really good is available (which I doubt). People will get injured with this schedule and you can't afford a bad stretch this season.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:14 am 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
Another question for the guys who could watch Amerks games. How is Luke Adam playing?
I completely forgot about him and he probably won't be part of the camp (Darcy mentioned that only Foligno and Hodgson were pulled out of the Rochester line-up).

Btw, I like our depth at defense and wouldn't like a deal right away unless somebody really good is available (which I doubt). People will get injured with this schedule and you can't afford a bad stretch this season.

Luke Adam's been OK. He seems to be the type of guy who is in the right place at the right time in terms of his offensive output. For example, at the game I was at yesterday (they played the Syracuse Crunch), T.J. Brennan whiffed on a shot, which went to Evan Rankin behind the net, who blindly flipped it out in front to Adam, who was in perfect position to throw it in the net.

Of course, his back-checking is the problem, which we all know is why he was in the Lindy Ruff doghouse to begin with.

Worst of all, Adam's skating hasn't gotten any better, which is something that separates players as either a career AHLer or a guy that can cut in the NHL.

@TJLuckman550

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 am 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:

Luke Adam's been OK. He seems to be the type of guy who is in the right place at the right time in terms of his offensive output. For example, at the game I was at yesterday (they played the Syracuse Crunch), T.J. Brennan whiffed on a shot, which went to Evan Rankin behind the net, who blindly flipped it out in front to Adam, who was in perfect position to throw it in the net.

Of course, his back-checking is the problem, which we all know is why he was in the Lindy Ruff doghouse to begin with.

Worst of all, Adam's skating hasn't gotten any better, which is something that separates players as either a career AHLer or a guy that can cut in the NHL.

Career AHLer? Wow, 2 years ago I thought he could be a solid 2nd liine center one day. 2008 was still a great draft for the Sabres, unfortunate that we could have drafted Derek Stepan instead of Adam (would have been the perfect draft choices).

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:54 am 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:

Career AHLer? Wow, 2 years ago I thought he could be a solid 2nd liine center one day. 2008 was still a great draft for the Sabres, unfortunate that we could have drafted Derek Stepan instead of Adam (would have been the perfect draft choices).

He could prove me wrong. If he was traded, and played for a coach that didn't stress two-way play as much as Lindy Ruff did, Adam could be successful

@TJLuckman550

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 pm 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
The Sabres already stated Grigorenko will be staying in the QMJHL this season no matter what happened in regards to the lockout.

Scratch that...reports are out this morning that the Remparts are shipping him to Sabres training camp. Looks like he'll get a look this year.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/sports ... sabres.php

He did pretty well during the world juniors. Thing is, if he actually DOES make the team, we will have, what, 3 young centers? Ennis, Grigorenko, and Hodgson.

I assume they'd move Ennis back over to the wing, if that were the case. There's no way Ennis, Grigorenko, nor Hodgson would be 3rd line centers, and Ennis has plenty of wing experience. At the very least, Ennis makes the most sense to move over to wing, even though he's naturally a center.

This is assuming they keep Grigs down for at least the beginning of this year. I, personally, would let the kid have some time to develop.
So, I'd toss Ennis first line- Pommers, Ennis, Vanman
2-Stafford, Hodge, Leino
3-Foligno,Ott, Gerbe
4-McCormick, Ellis, Kaleta

The defense is a toss up. I would really love to package out some established talent to make some room for the youngsters. Brennan and McNabb could make this squad.

29 goals, 21 assists in 31 games and a pretty nice run in the World Juniors. He also had good numbers the prior season in Quebec. The kid's seasoned more than Shake'n'bake.

You keep the Ennis line together at least for now. Hodgson centers Vanek and you put Grigs on the third line and create 3 true scoring lines. Its only 48 games, goals will be more important in this shortened season. You flip Cody and Grigs from time to time.