It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

HipKat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 am 
Garbage Man

Watch Video

After rejoining his Buffalo Sabres teammates on the ice for the first time in some nine months, goalie Ryan Miller had a few lingering frustrations to get off his chest regarding the NHL lockout.

"The best thing to do is acknowledge that it was stupid," Miller said Friday, before turning his attention to Sabres fans. "I appreciate their patience. I know it's a hard situation. I still don't even know the right message because it was just a stupid, useless waste of time."

Miller, who played a role in negotiations, called himself "embarrassed" that it took more than six months of negotiations to reach an agreement. At one point during talks, he gave up on the possibility of having a season.

And he laid the blame on the owners' side, specifically singling out commissioner Gary Bettman, whom he accused of being the reason why the four-month lockout wasn't resolved sooner.

"In my mind, it always had to be January in Gary Bettman's mind," Miller said. "Obviously, he had something in his head and he was going to see how far he could take it. So there's really no going up against Gary when he has something in his head."

For someone who hasn't played in a competitive game since April 5, the ever-outspoken Miller seems already in midseason form.

"It's exciting to be back. It's the way you that you're supposed to feel," he said. "It's not in the board room, so that's good. It's getting back on the ice, and that's the important part."

Spending much of his offseason in southern California, Miller arrived in Buffalo on Thursday, and was on the ice for what's expected to be the players' final informal practice at a suburban arena. Training camp is tentatively set to open Sunday, and a 48-game regular season to start a week later.

A seven-year veteran, Miller is the face of the franchise, and regarded as a team leader. His arrival was welcomed by the Sabres, and also by numerous fans. About 300 onlookers -- the largest turnout this week -- lined the boards to watch the open practice.

Aside from his frustrations regarding labor talks, Miller was in an upbeat mood. Walking out of the locker room with his mask perched above his head, exposing a familiar patchy beard -- "It's my lockout beard" -- he then flashed a big smile and waved his glove hand before taking the ice.

Before taking any questions from reporters afterward, Miller first wanted to find out what's been happening in Buffalo, and then shook hands with each member of the media.

"There," he said. "We're reintroduced again, eight months later."

Now it's time to get to work in what will be a shortened season, and for a high-priced Sabres team that was among the NHL's biggest busts after missing the playoffs last season.

Buffalo (39-32-11) finished ninth in the Eastern Conference and was hampered by a rash of injuries, including Miller missing a nine-game stretch because of concussion-like symptoms. On the bright side, Miller hopes the team can pick up where it left off after closing last season on a 15-5-4 roll.

The challenge for Miller is getting himself ready to carry much of the load during a tightly packed stretch of games.

"Hockey-wise, I'm in a pretty good spot," he said. "Mentally, I always kind of knew it was going to be a short sprint kind of situation. It's not a surprise for anyone of us."

Coach Lindy Ruff already has projected Miller will play 36 to 38 games.

Miller hasn't given any thought to how many games he'll play, but has been accustomed to being the Sabres' workhorse.

He's appeared in 59 or more games in each of his past six seasons. That includes 2009-10, when he was the NHL's Vezina Trophy winner after going 41-18-8 in 69 NHL regular-season games. He also played six games at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, where he led the United States to a silver medal.

"I just want to be that guy, and we'll go by that," Miller said. "I think if I'm playing at a high-enough level, I'd like to be in net."

Unlike some NHLers who spent part of the lockout playing overseas, Miller elected to stay home. He said the insurance premiums on his contract proved expensive. He also noted that he wanted to make sure there were no lingering effects from the head injury he suffered last season.

Miller spent much of his time working out in California, where he skated three or four times a week. He mostly worked out with members of the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings such as Jarret Stoll, Brad Richardson, Justin Williams and Rob Scuderi. Several other NHLers, including Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby, also spent a few months working out with them.

"I've been skating pretty consistently since June, but it's not the same as playing with your teammates," Miller said. "It's been missing from my life for the past eight months, that's a long time."

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am 
Superstar Goalie

Ryan fucking Miller. Nice. This guy needs a cup in Buffalo.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:12 pm 
Hart Winner

Really Millzie? Bettman wanted it to go to January? How about the first 50/50 deal that Fehr basically said fuck you to?

Bauter88
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 pm 
Power Forward

I'm liking the fire that Miller has already. Hopefully he will bring that fire to the ice and have a very good season.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:26 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

the talking about the "lockout was waste of time" is waste of time.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:45 pm 
PP Quarterback

Yes, the NHLPA was fighting for all those player not making $6million a season. Riiiight, keep telling that the the public there Ryan.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:48 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Really Millzie? Bettman wanted it to go to January? How about the first 50/50 deal that Fehr basically said fuck you to?

You do realize that it wasn't just about the revenue split, right? Yeah, it got down to 50/50, but that's not all that needed to happen. I understand you're upset, but if you just keep harping on the 50/50, you're never going to get over it.

@TJLuckman550

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 pm 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

You do realize that it wasn't just about the revenue split, right? Yeah, it got down to 50/50, but that's not all that needed to happen. I understand you're upset, but if you just keep harping on the 50/50, you're never going to get over it.

True, but you realize that under the previous deal the NHL gave out a bigger percentage of the revenues that the NFL...an league that makes almost 3 times more revenue per year and every contract in the NHL is guaranteed.

I see a number of old barns in the NHL and less public funding of arenas in the future.

Bottom line...57% for the crap play that's put on the ice most night...way too much.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

OldTimeHockey wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

True, but you realize that under the previous deal the NHL gave out a bigger percentage of the revenues that the NFL...an league that makes almost 3 times more revenue per year and every contract in the NHL is guaranteed.

I see a number of old barns in the NHL and less public funding of arenas in the future.

Bottom line...57% for the crap play that's put on the ice most night...way too much.

I get that, but it's not the 50/50 they rejected. I'm not arguing that reducing from 57% to 50% wasn't the right thing to do, but this lockout wasn't just about hockey related revenue.

Mostly, it was the whole "make whole" issue the players weren't a fan of, which was designed to take money away from the players that they already signed contracts for. Take all the players that signed huge contracts right before the lockout. They're signing a contract being told they're going to make a certain amount, and then the NHL tells them now we want to reduce the money you signed that contract for. I know we're talking about millions of dollars here, but say you were a teacher who signed a contract for $30,000, and then the teachers union gets locked out, and the school board says they're going to reduce the money they're giving you in your contract to $25,000. You'd be pissed, too.

Again, I know it's a completely different ballpark when we're talking about NHL players and schoolteachers, but most of these players expect this money which they donate to charity (such as Ryan Miller's Steadfast Foundation). It's not all about greed in that case.

Miller is right, the lockout was unnecessary, for both sides. He acknowledged that both sides had their faults, but it seemed that the owners didn't even want to negotiate with the players, not until this past week did it seem like the owners were actually trying to negotiate rather than just give the players a take-it-or-leave-it deal. If the NHL would have just negotiated to begin with, this probably would have been resolved a lot sooner.

@TJLuckman550

daz28
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 pm 
Star Sniper

Hey Ryan, 3 things:
1. shut up
2. Buy a razor(you can afford it)
3. stop the puck

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:51 pm 
Hart Winner

The NHL didn't want to negotiate? The NHLPA didn't want to negotiate before the summer. The NHL was the first pushing for negotiations early on and the NHLPA turned them off. Both sides screwed up but Miller thinks it's the owners' fault...

Wozniak
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:09 am 
Franchise Defenseman

kind of. the NHL did want to start early in the summer (maybe mid spring?) and the PA didnt but when the PA did come around to want to start the NHL seemed to pull a childish "you didnt want to talk to us so we're not going to talk to you" mentality which manifested in outrageously stupid proposals from the league. It really wasnt until a few weeks ago that they seemed to stop being dicks about it.

as for miller saying this stuff...he was asked a question about the lock out. it wasnt like he called a press conference just to rant about the last 8 months and of course hes going to say its the owners fault. he (like anyone else who was in an argument) is going to stand up for their side.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:26 am 
Hart Winner

Meh... I just don't know why he seems to want to point fingers. Making comments on the owners really comes off the wrong way. Just saying it was a frustrating process and was bad for the fans would've been enough, right?

daz28
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 am 
Star Sniper

The lockout is behind us now, and I need to focus on getting ready for a game in 7 days might have been a good answer, too.

Not a big deal, but being clean shaven would have seemed more professional, too. You know, less like someone who's just been lazing about. I like Ryan, but I liked the quiet, weirdo guy who just hung around before the games with his stick better than the outspoken guy he's become.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 am 
PP Quarterback

He wasn't really pointing fingers. All he really said is that he thought it was stupid and that he wished the league and the players had a better relationship. He didn't point fingers, he said each side had their faults. He seemed to be as objective as possible.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:43 pm 
Hart Winner

And he laid the blame on the owners' side, specifically singling out commissioner Gary Bettman, whom he accused of being the reason why the four-month lockout wasn't resolved sooner.

"In my mind, it always had to be January in Gary Bettman's mind," Miller said. "Obviously, he had something in his head and he was going to see how far he could take it. So there's really no going up against Gary when he has something in his head."

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:

Well, he's right about that. I'll give him that.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm 
Hart Winner

The union did just as much to withheld the season as Bettman in my opinion...

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm 
PP Quarterback

When the union was ready to negotiate though, that's what they did. Negotiate. The NHL seemed to have a "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude up until the last two week leading up to the end of the lockout.

It's important to remember the NHL wanted the players to come down to 43% at first, and for about a month, the NHL firmly believed that could happen. The NHLPA was fully behind 50-50 for a long time, but as Ryan Miller said, it was about Gary Bettman seeing how far he could go with a certain amount.

The NHL did a lot to maximize what they could get out of a 50-50 deal with this whole "make whole" provision, which ultimately backfired. Unfortunately for the PA, the NHL wouldn't budge on this until recently.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:22 pm 
Hart Winner

The NHL most likely offered the 43% as an opening dream deal in order to negotiate. When the NHL finally offered 50/50, the players claimed it was unfair and insulting etc etc even though looking at the deal it wasn't even bad.