It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
The NHL most likely offered the 43% as an opening dream deal in order to negotiate. When the NHL finally offered 50/50, the players claimed it was unfair and insulting etc etc even though looking at the deal it wasn't even bad.

Again, the "make whole" provision is what stalled everything. The players were fighting for the owners to pay them what they already signed contracts for to be payed, and the owners were looking for every way out of it, which is where the "make whole" provision came in.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:05 pm 
Hart Winner

Not all owners made unfair deals, and some sort of change needed to be done. When you're as pampered as the players are (hell they even have PENSIONS now) I don't feel sorry for them.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 am 
Cup Winner

BlueandYellow wrote:
Not all owners made unfair deals, and some sort of change needed to be done. When you're as pampered as the players are (hell they even have PENSIONS now) I don't feel sorry for them.

The NHL actually has had a pension for retired players since 1947. Although it was a very weak pension before.

Now it's fully defined.

And all pro sports have a Pension, pretty much depending on how many seasons played.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

BlueandYellow wrote:

ZOMG PENSIONS!!!!

What is this world coming to?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:24 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Squanto wrote:
ZOMG PENSIONS!!!!

You know...when even the crappiest players are making half a million a year I lose a lot of compassion for such things.
Manage your money, you make enough.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:58 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Crosscheck wrote:
Squanto wrote:
ZOMG PENSIONS!!!!

You know...when even the crappiest players are making half a million a year I lose a lot of compassion for such things.
Manage your money, you make enough.

You can make a ton of valid arguments about greedy players, etc. I don't think a pension is one of them.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:00 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Squanto wrote:
You can make a ton of valid arguments about greedy players, etc. I don't think a pension is one of them.

I'm not calling the pension greedy, I'm calling it unnecessary.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm 
Hart Winner

Squanto wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

ZOMG PENSIONS!!!!

Why do people making millions need pensions? Pensions aren't bad, but come on, players don't really need them.

daz28
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm 
Star Sniper

What makes it funny is while the rest of the real world isn't keeping up with cost of living, is unemployed, and losing their benefits(and long ago pensions), the guys averaging a million a year are fighting to get BETTER pensions. Sure, their careers are short, but like cross said, manage your money. Most people would be VERY HAPPY to make what they make in 1 year in their entire world of shit work lives, which will end in eating cat food when SS runs out. I now have zero respect for Andrew Peters(who was a useless terd on the ice making millions of FANS money)who I had to listen to on the Sabres show talk about the players deserving MOAR respect. What an asshole.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:49 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Squanto wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

ZOMG PENSIONS!!!!

Why do people making millions need pensions? Pensions aren't bad, but come on, players don't really need them.

True, but it really wasn't made a big deal out of in this lockout. I remember it being mentioned maybe twice.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Squanto wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

ZOMG PENSIONS!!!!

True, but it really wasn't made a big deal out of in this lockout. I remember it being mentioned maybe twice.

It was something added in the new CBA, I believe. But pensions are just some of the things players fought for when it's just not necessary. They're rich among shit already. Not to say the owners didn't indulge in shitty practices too, but come on, to point fingers when you had just as much to do with the lockout as they did is, IMHO, not needed.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm 
Cup Winner

Have you looked at the pension plans for sports?

They aren't a lot of money. The NFL gives a retired player $200 at minimum for every season played in the NFL a month.

You also got to think, some of these NHL players that only play in 6 or 7 seasons and only make the league min and at ho bad a pension would be for them?

http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_1 ... iness.html This isn't updated to this current CBA, but the old NHL Pension plan, you couldn't live off of it after you retired.

The sport is still a job they have to do everyday for the duration of the season, if they can play for 15 years, they deserve a pension, just like the everyday American. And not all players are smart with their money, if they buy a huge house, maybe after they retire they can't afford the taxes on it anymore because they bought too many things.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

HipKat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 pm 
Garbage Man

BlueandYellow wrote:
Squanto wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

ZOMG PENSIONS!!!!

I agree. Once you hit the Million per year mark, pensions are off the table

HipKat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 pm 
Garbage Man

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_1 ... iness.html This isn't updated to this current CBA, but the old NHL Pension plan, you couldn't live off of it after you retired

So, when you retire, at 32 years old, get a friggin' job...with a pension. Or take all that money and start a business.IRA's. CD's... etc.... all count

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 am 
Cup Winner

HipKat wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_1 ... iness.html This isn't updated to this current CBA, but the old NHL Pension plan, you couldn't live off of it after you retired

So, when you retire, at 32 years old, get a friggin' job...with a pension. Or take all that money and start a business.IRA's. CD's... etc.... all count

So at 32 without any sort of degree you expect them to just magically get a job making at least 50K to support a family?

Most of the players that argued over the pension where the guys who didn't make millions a year, who have only 5 years of playing time before they are no longer NHL players. Those superstars making 100 million over the duration of their contract aren't the ones complaining about a pension, it's the other 90% of the NHL players that were.

Rud wrote:

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 am 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
HipKat wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

So at 32 without any sort of degree you expect them to just magically get a job making at least 50K to support a family?

Most of the players that argued over the pension where the guys who didn't make millions a year, who have only 5 years of playing time before they are no longer NHL players. Those superstars making 100 million over the duration of their contract aren't the ones complaining about a pension, it's the other 90% of the NHL players that were.

Dude, I wish hipkat had of just left your post alone like everyone else did, but you must need a new abacus or something. They're using 900k as league min next year(plus entry deals are still 3 yrs I think), so that's 54 years of 50k security if you don't even lift a finger when you "RETIRE". I suppose a reverse mortgage won't be a horrible idea at age 75 to go along with their $600/ month from NHL plus their SS benefit. Ya, they really needed to fuck this season up to make sure they have it that good(bad).

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:56 am 
Superstar Goalie

50K a year is shit.....and considering a lot of them have chronic medical problems with little to no medical coverage....yup shittier. I'm not saying they are starving by any means but it is deeper than simply "Those guys make more than me per year so what are they complaining about?" Adding in the facts that they don't have degrees and have no experience in anything but hockey, if I were them I would fight for every damn nickle too and I don't slight them one bit for doing so.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am 
Superstar Goalie

Displaced Fan wrote:
50K a year is shit.....and considering a lot of them have chronic medical problems with little to no medical coverage....yup shittier. I'm not saying they are starving by any means but it is deeper than simply "Those guys make more than me per year so what are they complaining about?" Adding in the facts that they don't have degrees and have no experience in anything but hockey, if I were them I would fight for every damn nickle too and I don't slight them one bit for doing so.

That said, when they're "retired", they'll have made enough money to absolutely have paid off a FEW houses (investment properties....rent them out), etc. So let's not pretend that they're fucking infants. They're grown ass men who, if they can't plan properly, should reap what they sow.

I'm with you though; if I've got the position to barter or argue for some kind of pension, damn right I'm going to fight for it.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm 
Star Sniper

NYIntensity wrote:
They're grown ass men who, if they can't plan properly, should reap what they sow.

I think this is the bottom line that everyone can agree on. If you squander a couple million, no one should have to feel sorry for you(not even MC Hammer).

Also, if 50k is shit, then I'll gladly accept a raise to the shit salary, please. I'm assuming their wives also aren't inclined to bring in any income, either??

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:50 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I love how we the fans forget that these are people trying to do the best for themselves and their families. We aren't them, we don't know their problems or situations, we honestly don't know a thing aside from that the number on their check is bigger than the number on ours. Why should they be happy with 50k, or 60k or even 200k? Because you would with your particular background and demographic makeup? Why should they not try to grab every cent they can while they can? I would and I assume most of us would. We just happen to be upset that the NHL season was delayed because of problems which, up until the lockout, had nothing to do with us. I manage my money very well....the 50k that I get, but would I fight for more? You fucking better bet your sweet ass I would. Question as well....why simply because someone wishes to fight for a pension do we respond by saying they are men and must manage their money responsibly? Are they not? Are you their financial confidant? I don't understand how someone seeking a better pay check could be assumed to only need it because they did something unwise with their money. Are we talking about some shitty bankers who fucked Wallstreet but still got mega-bonuses? Fuck no, these are hard working hockey players who have short hockey careers and then have little else to fall back on after the lights go out. They worked their asses off to get to the top and they deserve to milk every cent they can in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next