It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 am 
Sober enough to run a server

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/201 ... abres.html

He can't sign until the CBA is ratified but apparently there's an agreement and he's on his way to Buffalo.
I suppose if the price is right we could use his depth, but it's rather ho-hum.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:31 am 
Superstar Goalie

I'm good with this signing, as long as the price is right and he's in good health. Can't imagine they'd break the bank on a depth move but it'll be kind of nice to see that wacky German backhander in action.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am 
Sober enough to run a server

I had a feeling this was inevitable after what Pommers then Darcy said....and his numbers from Germany are pretty damn good.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:21 pm 
PP Quarterback

I don't like it unless he signed for cheap. NHL is way more physical than the DEL and with his history his career might end early.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:43 pm 
PP Quarterback

I can deal with this. In a short season, he's a known commodity and when he's in the lineup, it actually helps. His two-way play is still one of the more underrated features of his game. He's a solid penalty killer, also.

If it's just for this season, yeah. It's a good signing.

@TJLuckman550

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I dig this. He's not super durable but it's half a season and from reports it looks like he is 100% and putting up great numbers.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 pm 
PP Quarterback

Displaced Fan wrote:
I dig this. He's not super durable but it's half a season and from reports it looks like he is 100% and putting up great numbers.

Yes, but the DEL is much more about skating than physical play like the NHL. I like him on the PK but I can't find a place for him 5 vs. 5. I don't want him on the top 6 and I'm worried about his health on a 3rd line with Ott and Kaleta (or Leino).

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Hecht won't play in the top six. Ruff has already said on different occasions he's keeping Vanek and Pominville and Vanek and Hodgson together, so your top line is 26/19/29. He's already said he's keeping Ennis' line together from last season, so your second line is 82/63/21. With Gerbe (back) and McCormick (finger) injured or recovering, there are open spots in the bottom six. Hecht would likely play center on the third line, giving us a trio of 9/55/23. That leaves John Scott, Matt Ellis, and Patrick Kaleta on the fourth line. Bingo bango, opening day line-up...except for the Grigo question.

If Grigorenko does indeed get a look with Vanek and Pominville and makes the team on the top line as the wunder-prospect we all hope he is, that rejiggers the third line by bumping Hodgson down and displacing Hecht. At that point, Hecht either takes up space on the fourth line or is a healthy scratch. Grigorenko is the only question mark at this point.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

If Grigs makes the team, does that put Cody down the the third line? He wasn't happy with that with his last team. But in this shortened season, three scoring lines would be nice. Unless you're Briere doesn't Hecht kill your offense on the ice?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:15 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

There's always the chance that Grigo gets third line time with a drastically-rearranged offensive set-up. He would have less responsibilities and easier minutes while still getting NHL time with NHL linemates. I think that's the most appealing option for his development, but he may just be so good with Vanek and Pominville that first line may be his only destination. Who the hell knows at this point.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:20 pm 
Hart Winner

Top centers:

Hodgson
Ennis
Grigorenko
Hecht

Wouldn't it look something like that?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 pm 
Cup Winner

I'm glad he's back. He is a good fit to be that veteran presence. I believe this now makes him the second oldest guy on the team behind Regehr.

He's not a top 6 forward, but in a third line Center role, he will do fine.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

mechaphil wrote:
There's always the chance that Grigo gets third line time with a drastically-rearranged offensive set-up. He would have less responsibilities and easier minutes while still getting NHL time with NHL linemates. I think that's the most appealing option for his development, but he may just be so good with Vanek and Pominville that first line may be his only destination. Who the hell knows at this point.

Very true, who knows at this point. I know the ice has tightened up since then, but I think back to when we had Vanek on a 3rd line.

I just don't see the need for him to go back to Quebec...he's torn up that league for 2 seasons now.

But I'd also be okay with him being a healthy scratch for the Bruins games....those dirty bastards.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Top centers:

Hodgson
Ennis
Grigorenko
Hecht

Rather see Hecht on the wing and McCormick centering the 4th line against the Bruins.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm 
PP Quarterback

OldTimeHockey wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Top centers:

Hodgson
Ennis
Grigorenko
Hecht

Rather see Hecht on the wing and McCormick centering the 4th line against the Bruins.

McCormick is injured and may not play this year, which is why Hecht is being brought in. I don't see Grigorenko staying past the five games he'll probably get before burning a year of his contract. Hecht was a good stop-gap to bring in, and the advanced stats say it's a good idea. Hecht's only issue was staying healthy.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 pm 
Cup Winner

With Grigorenko on this short season, if he makes the roster for a tryout, he is staying the entire year.

There is no reason to give him a tryout in this short of a season. Either let him destroy the Q, or play in the NHL for the entire year.

That is what many guys at nhl.com have said about prospects and ones who would have gotten a tryout this year will probably just make the teams.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:46 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Regier said that burning the first year of Grigo's deal will not factor into whether or not he stays with the team. If he's good enough, he's sticking around, period.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:26 pm 
PP Quarterback

It's official. $1 Million with incentive bonus of $250K. One-year deal.

@TJLuckman550

patkane88
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Captain Clutch

Question is why bother??

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:24 pm 
PP Quarterback

patkane88 wrote:
Question is why bother??

Depth, familiarity with the system, solid 3rd line player. Hecht is good if he stays healthy.

Edit: Familiarity with the system is the most important aspect of this signing in a shortened season. Continuity is extremely important.

@TJLuckman550