It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

DieHardFan
 Post subject: Boarding Gerbe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

Will the NHL ever smarten the f**k up and make any boarding call at LEAST a 4 minute minor if not a 5-minute major, regardless of presumed "intent" to injure. I, for one, am nauseated by these sickening hits from behind on a defenseless guy that could leave him paralyzed if his neck hits the board the wrong way. I'm throwing random pieces of furniture and pets at the TV last night watching Gerbe get nailed from behind and the refs treating him like their bitch because he was pissed off about almost getting knocked out of hockey for another 6 months.

Get rid of (or minimize) this ugly part of the game once and for all by consistently throwing the book at guys when they do it.

Crosscheck
 Post subject: Re: Boarding Gerbe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

I forget who it was but I hope the Ref who skated him against the boards and pinned him there while screaming in his face gets a talking to by the league.
I've never seen behavior like that from an official. At the very least that was unprofessional.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm 
Hart Winner

I thought it wasn't even allowed for a ref to treat a player like that. If it was somebody like Scott or Foligno, I know he'd think twice.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm 
Cup Winner

BlueandYellow wrote:
I thought it wasn't even allowed for a ref to treat a player like that. If it was somebody like Scott or Foligno, I know he'd think twice.

Refs can pretty much do what they want, because they are never held accountable and if you don't have an A or a C you aren't even suppose to talk to them.

And if a player actually hit a ref, he would be suspended for life.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 pm 
Hart Winner

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Refs can pretty much do what they want, because they are never held accountable and if you don't have an A or a C you aren't even suppose to talk to them.

And if a player actually hit a ref, he would be suspended for life.

A ref still wouldn't rough up someone bigger than Gerbe let alone move them.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:40 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Here's Gerbe's side of the story...sounds like O'Halloran was trying to protect him from getting into a fight?

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres ... outh-shut/

Quote:
“He said he wanted to keep me away,” Gerbe said this morning inside the First Niagara Center prior to tonight’s rematch with the Hurricanes. “But if we can’t touch them, then why can they grab us? … It’s a Catch-22 there. So I just decided to not touch him and keep my mouth shut. I don’t feel like doing any suspensions or anything like that.”

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Nice restraint Gerbs...not sure i'd have managed to do the same.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:10 pm 
Cup Winner

Well apparently even if you have a letter on your jersey you can't talk to the refs. Tonight Vanek wanted that explanation on his penalty and he has an A, and got another 2 minutes for asking a question?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Well apparently even if you have a letter on your jersey you can't talk to the refs. Tonight Vanek wanted that explanation on his penalty and he has an A, and got another 2 minutes for asking a question?

Refs have been totally sketchy these last two games. And that is on both sides, not just from a blue/gold colored sunglasses perspective.

Some of the calls are just, wtf?! Just happens to be more in the buffalo games I've watched as opposed to the other games this season.

Put it behind you and move on. We're not getting any help from the zebras so get ready for the Crapitals.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

lamaisonbleu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm 
Late-Round Gem

The ref was trying to protect Gerbe and also to keep him from getting a penalty. I'm guessing that the ref might have known about Gerbe's back surgery whereas Bowman didn't seem to, or didn't care.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

lamaisonbleu wrote:
The ref was trying to protect Gerbe and also to keep him from getting a penalty. I'm guessing that the ref might have known about Gerbe's back surgery whereas Bowman didn't seem to, or didn't care.

The clearly explains why the official slammed Gerbe's back right into the boards, right? Because that's clearly good for a post-surgical area.

:roll:

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am 
PP Quarterback

Crosscheck wrote:
I forget who it was but I hope the Ref who skated him against the boards and pinned him there while screaming in his face gets a talking to by the league.
I've never seen behavior like that from an official. At the very least that was unprofessional.

Was it Chris Rooney..the worse ref I've even seen live or on TV. Check for a 5 on his blouse.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

Getting back to the original intent of the thread:

Again, last night, Kaleta hit from behind awkwardly, gets what looks like head or neck injury, maybe concussed, misses rest of game, goes to hospital, and all Brown gets is the same penalty as if he flipped the puck over the glass.

And then Lindy defends the hit. Screw you Lindy and shame on NHL for not taking any steps to help protect players in defenseless positions. Maybe when Crosby gets his neck broken after being boarded, something will change.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 pm 
Hart Winner

Mike Weber got more minutes (2+10+5) than Brown (2+5). That REALLY ticked me off. 10 minutes for defending your player? The refs gave him a two, I wish someone other than Weber (he did good but man he cannot fight) could've got a hold of that fuck hole, maybe Foligno or Scott. He deserved more than two minutes, definitely.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:17 pm 
Hart Winner

And it also pisses me off that Brown may not get a suspension because Kaleta "turned" at the last second.

1. Brown had enough time, maybe 2-3 seconds, to not hit Kaleta. He saw his numbers and could've reacted or went for the puck instead.
2. Kaleta never was facing Brown and was turned around the whole time. He looked over his shoulder for a second to see if someone was coming. If Kaleta wouldn't have moved at all, he still would've been hit in the numbers.