It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Stuuuuuuu
 Post subject: So, after 5 games...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:13 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

;) Don't mean to be too snarky about the after 1 game thread, but I REALLY wanted to do that.

However, I do have an actual topic here. Any thoughts or predictions on who the "real" Sabres are this year? Are they the team that went 2-0 with one of the best lines in hockey, or are they the team that's gone 0-3 since struggling to score as well as play defense?

I think we know what we're getting with Miller, and with Vanek, Pommer, and possibly Hodgson. I think we know what Steve Ott, Reghyr and Leopold bring. But what will we get with Ennis/Stafford/Foligno? What will we get from Tyler Myers? Can Lindy still get passion from his players?

Will the real Blue & Gold please stand up?

Crosscheck
 Post subject: Re: So, after 5 games...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

I like what I've seen out of Hodson and Ott. #9 has contributed more than I expected him to.
Of course, when Vanek is back that first line is pretty impressive. I think in the Caps game, Lindy told them to get the puck deep and grind it out, but they failed at strategy too.
Who the hell knows how this is going to shake out, but it seems they've got their first bit of adversity early on..typical Sabres.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I was going to post in the tone used by many on the WGR Whiner Line, but then I'd want to slap myself with a fish.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and the comments to follow should not be taken with any grain accuracy, credibility or with hopes that I have any idea what I'm talking about;

-Ott has been pretty well spot on with how I seen him fitting into the lineup. Energy guy that can produce chances.

-Van/Pommer/CoHo are as expected, although last night (the little bit of the game I watched) I wasn't too fond of Cody's play. Likely because the chemestry has been been altered by Vanek's absence. I expect them to return to form against 'Tronna tomorrow night. I know Van is battling a strain, but I'd sooner have a guy with his skill battle it out and keep the line together to start generating something, than have him sit. I know, you need your best players to be healthy, but before this ship starts to sink, you need your top gunners firing pucks in the net to get something rolling.

-Miller has done the best with what has been in front of him. I have no real complaints with his play except that time when he was good and then married a big-boobied Hollywood actress and his game went to teh suck afterwards. And, in case anyone who doesn't know my sick and twisted sense of humor, I am completely joking when I say the above statement. In all honesty, I have no issues with Miller's game this season, thus far.

-Our D, quite frankly; facepalm. Just my opinion.

-Staff/Enzo/Foligno haven't picked up where they left off last year, although they have been showing signs of returning. I'd like to give them a little more time before placing some C4 under them and blowing the line up.

-Myers (Wanted to keep him separate) looks to be playing a bit timid. Possible his ankle is still bothering him. Not saying he lacks drive or is playing without passion, but there is a big difference when a guy just can't do what he used to because of injury and just not giving a crap because he got paid big bucks.

The rest of the team, I'm not surprised/shocked with the play. Haven't wanted to pull my hair out but also not wanting to build their statues outside the FNC. Basically, I'd say they're .500. Grigo; I’d like to see him play some more skilled guys. By the looks (and sounds) of things, he’s here to stay. Which is cool by me.

Last, but not least...

-Lindy/coaching staff. I'm not screaming for a change (yet) but one would have to think if this slide is the beginning of something far worse and the players just quit on them, a change may have to come. Who will take over the bench? Well, currently, I'm unemployed and have a pretty good grasp on the game. So, in short, me.

;)

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:22 pm 
Superstar Goalie

They look like they're skating in mud. Every. Single. Player.

We've been outskated the past 3 games. Even my fiancee's brother (who moved in with us two weeks ago, and has watched his first 5 hockey games ever with me) said something about it.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:24 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

AudSabres wrote:
Who will take over the bench? Well, currently, I'm unemployed and have a pretty good grasp on the game. So, in short, me.

Seems legit

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Hodgson's defense hasn't been very good, although he's made some OK plays in his own end. But that's the hardest part of the game, especially for a center (or so I'm told). He looks to be developing well on the offensive side though, which is more than you can say for most player, so I'll take it.

Grigorenko...maybe he's be better off back in juniors, maybe not. I don't see him having a huge impact on the Sabres this year based on what I've seen so far.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

To me, they look a lot like they did last year, except now they can't win a faceoff. Hopefully the kids will blossom and get better.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm 
Cup Winner

Crosscheck wrote:
AudSabres wrote:
Who will take over the bench? Well, currently, I'm unemployed and have a pretty good grasp on the game. So, in short, me.

Seems legit

As long as I can be some sort of assistant.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm 
Superstar Goalie

My opinion is that our top line has been great, no complaints other than Hodgson sometimes trips on his own dick. Ott has been a bigger impact than I thought he would be, I kind of expected what we got out of Torres but he's been much more than a pest/goon. Erhoff has looked terrible, constantly turning shit over, being out of place and making dumb decisions. Myers is a shadow of his Calder trophy form. I had made my mind up last year about Lindy and I have seen nothing that should change my opinion on that. He's LOOOOOONG past that time when the team listened and gave a shit about what he has to say. Even the best coach in the world is useless if their team can't hear them, that being said, Lindy is not the best coach in the world. Overall I am just gonna have to wait and see.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm 
Power Forward

sekera and leopold have done nill and should lose there jobs. without that 1st line we barely got any offense. we need another legitimate scoring threat out there besides vanek/

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

My hockey chubby for this team has quickly deflated after back to back losses (gag) to the (gag) canes.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 pm 
PP Quarterback

Jammerz04 wrote:
sekera and leopold have done nill and should lose there jobs. without that 1st line we barely got any offense. we need another legitimate scoring threat out there besides vanek/

Sekera has been one of our better defenders, and he was directly responsible for Foligno's goal on Sunday.

@TJLuckman550

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 pm 
Power Forward

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

Sekera has been one of our better defenders, and he was directly responsible for Foligno's goal on Sunday.

hes been shit. responsible for 1 goal :dance:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 am 
Captain Dynasty

this will rile some people up..

i think its time lindy goes. dont get me wrong, lindy is a great coach, but i believe his voice is being tuned out, and he doesnt have the burn like he used to. i think if someone else is out there and could help the team, i think maybe its time lindy is thanked for his time in buffalo, and a new voice takes over.

but i wouldnt make that move just to make it. someone better has to be available.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 am 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

i think its time lindy goes. dont get me wrong, lindy is a great coach, but i believe his voice is being tuned out, and he doesnt have the burn like he used to. i think if someone else is out there and could help the team, i think maybe its time lindy is thanked for his time in buffalo, and a new voice takes over.

but i wouldnt make that move just to make it. someone better has to be available.

Wow, it didn't take long for the "tuning Lindy out" comments to start.

But I have to ask, when they went on the runs they did in the last two seasons (albeit falling a bit short each time) were they listening really hard to him then?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 am 
Cup Winner

I'm all for the Lindy Be Gone to happen also.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 am 
Superstar Goalie

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
AudSabres wrote:

Seems legit

As long as I can be some sort of assistant.

Sure man, you're in!

So, any other takers? We need to fill out the coaching staff. Lord knows we can't do any worse!

..Right?

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

OldTimeHockey wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Wow, it didn't take long for the "tuning Lindy out" comments to start.

But I have to ask, when they went on the runs they did in the last two seasons (albeit falling a bit short each time) were they listening really hard to him then?

I feel like the good streaks over the last two seasons happened when the players finally got motivated and started acting like they want to be there, or like their jobs were on the line. Well, that's what it should be like all the time, and it's Ruff's job to get them into that head space. If he can only get them there for streaks late in the season, then he's not doing his job very well at all.

patkane88
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 pm 
Captain Clutch

... I still think Lindy Ruff has to go. That's just me though.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 am 
PP Quarterback

Have you ever noticed how many goals the sabres give up to skaters who don't net a lot a season?

If you want to beat the Sabres, bench you Phil Kessel and put in the guy who was bagging groceries in Saskitoon the week prior to his call up.

I love Ryan Miller, I even hang his Hallmark ornament on my tree, but he seems to like letting skaters bust their cherry against him....and this is in like game 67 of the season, not just the first week.