It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Ennis should have had a hat-trick last night. For someone who is supposed to be a skilled, quick, goal-scorer, he sure is whiffing on a lot of BE-A-UTIFUL chances.

I realize it might take some time to develop the poise around the goal that is necessary to be burying these chances, but....wtf, he's missing some REALLY great opportunities.

Thoughts?

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

He probably should have scored more than once last night. But, he has 2 goals in 7 games I think. That would project out to about 24 goals in a full 82-game season, which is an OK total for a 2nd liner. So it's not like he's not producing, he's just not lighting it up.

daz28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 pm 
Star Sniper

The way he was playing last night in the 3rd period was great. There are no worries at all with Enzo as long as he plays at 110%. That's pretty much the key to our success.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

I'm a lot more worried about Myers than Ennis at this point.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 pm 
Hart Winner

I'm worried about our D as a whole. Our offense looks great, and Ennis is more of a hands/passing guy than a scorer. But players like Myers and Leopold have gotten progressively worse over the course of these games.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I do agree Enzo is an awesome passer and playmaker, but he's getting so many opportunities in front of the net (a skill in and of itself), and seems to lack the composure to pull off what vanek did for his third goal last night. Remember that? He had all the time he needed, he used it, and assuredly put the puck in the net. Ennis is nowhere near that level of poise, and I don't know if it's innate, or acquired. I hope he figures it out at some point.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:47 pm 
PP Quarterback

no, he's Afinogenov.

in regards to the original question.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:48 pm 
Hart Winner

Well at least he buried a chance last night.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

true. but did you hear his interview? lol...it was something like "A blind grandmother could have buried that chance" or something like that, it was pretty funny.

And I like the kid, I think he's going to be good and i'm glad we've kept him. I happen to think that poise will come, and he'll start finishing more effectively than he has up to now.

That is if he can survive long enough to mature like that, he seems to take a lot of abuse.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 am 
Cup Winner

We just need to fix our defensive woes first.

Not everyone is a goal scorer, he is that skilled guy who should not be in front of the net, his size doesn't allow it, that is why the FES line worked so great last year, two big guys who could do the dirty work and Ennis could set them up, which is also good for the SEO line too.

And if being 4th on the team in points is bad, I guess he's just bad. 5 points in 7 games is a good amount of points to have right now.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Hart Winner

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
We just need to fix our defensive woes first.

Not everyone is a goal scorer, he is that skilled guy who should not be in front of the net, his size doesn't allow it, that is why the FES line worked so great last year, two big guys who could do the dirty work and Ennis could set them up, which is also good for the SEO line too.

And if being 4th on the team in points is bad, I guess he's just bad. 5 points in 7 games is a good amount of points to have right now.

Especially since Pommers and Vanek are scoring like crazy while Ennis is on the 2nd line.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ennis is going to a 20-30 goal scorer, and his speed and skill will fill in 25-35 assists a year. not bad at all.

daz28
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:51 pm 
Star Sniper

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
ennis is going to a 20-30 goal scorer, and his speed and skill will fill in 25-35 assists a year. not bad at all.

At least, depending who he plays with. If Roysie was putting up those numbers with TV, imagine what Ennis would have done?? The only thing that was maybe missing from Enzo was understanding he has to work harder than he ever imagined. He's starting to understand that, and it will be a big key to this teams success.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:06 pm 
PP Quarterback

ennis is not and will never be better than roy.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 pm 
Hart Winner

PatGreen wrote:

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 pm 
Superstar Goalie

BlueandYellow wrote:
PatGreen wrote:

He said "ennis is not and will never be better than roy". I believe it is his opinion that Tyler Ennis is currently not a better player than Derek Roy, and that he does not have the capability to become better than Derek Roy. Unless he means Patrick Roy, in which case, we're comparing apples and bananas.

I agree with Pat, to an extent. Ennis won't ever be a better hockey player when it comes to raw talent. That said, he's probably better for the team than Derek Roy.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:49 pm 
Hart Winner

If anything, raw talent is the one thing Ennis has on Roy. Ennis is a stronger skater, puck handler, and has more moves. Stronger defensively, too. The only thing he doesn't have on Roy is point production and the shot, both of which could still come.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm 
PP Quarterback

you can have your opinion, and i won't fight that part, but you are DEAD wrong on the defensive part. there's a reason why roy was one of the best two way defensemen in his first 5 or 6 years. he played on the PK and on the last minute d lines.

daz28
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
Star Sniper

PatGreen wrote:

I call BS big time.

'11-12:

Roy 17 goals in 80 games
Ennis 15 goals in 48 games.

Roy was great as a 3rd liner playing against 5-6 D-men, but he's a dogshit giveaway machine against top competition. His point production has declined every year since '07-08(something you NEVER want to see). This year 4 games, no goals. The only time he was really impressive was his injury shortened season. Maybe w/o the injury your statement would have been correct, but fuck coulda,woulda, and shoulda. I'd argue with FES last season, Ennis was very impressive, not to mention he's still very young. We've already seen Roy's best hockey.

Any good Roy does defensively is immediately overridden by the fact he gives the puck right back.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 pm 
Hart Winner

PatGreen wrote:
you can have your opinion, and i won't fight that part, but you are DEAD wrong on the defensive part. there's a reason why roy was one of the best two way defensemen in his first 5 or 6 years. he played on the PK and on the last minute d lines.

I think Roy having a reputation for puck hogging and giving it away proves my point enough.