It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Jammerz04
 Post subject: Hodgson?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 pm 
Power Forward

How much will he command after this season?

BlueandYellow
 Post subject: Re: Hodgson?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:05 pm 
Hart Winner

525k- 11 million is my estimate.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:55 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

He's been solid this season...nothing spectacular, but solid.
I'd say he's worth in the 2.8-3.5 milllion range, so the Sabres will give him 5.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

He's been solid offensively. Defensively, he's a train-wreck. I worry about that side of his game.

On that same token, I've noticed Ennis has made some strides in his defensive game, so it's not impossible for Hodgson to add that element, as well.

@TJLuckman550

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:41 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
He's been solid offensively. Defensively, he's a train-wreck. I worry about that side of his game.

On that same token, I've noticed Ennis has made some strides in his defensive game, so it's not impossible for Hodgson to add that element, as well.

I don't think he's as bad defensively as he's looked this year. Early on he was on the ice for a lot of goals and looked bad, but he was on the ice with Myers and Leopold, so he had to try to cover up for them as well as play center.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

I don't think he's as bad defensively as he's looked this year. Early on he was on the ice for a lot of goals and looked bad, but he was on the ice with Myers and Leopold, so he had to try to cover up for them as well as play center.

If we're going to go by how he's looked with the Sabres, it's been horrible defensively. He shows no urgency to get back in the play, and coasts. When he's in position, he still seems lost. It wasn't much better in Rochester, either.

Great offensive skill, questionable defensive ability.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:29 pm 
Cup Winner

His defensive skill? Not too worried yet, still only his second full year in the league and he's 22. It'll come in time of course. But then again, some of the greatest superstars out there have no defensive game. Sedin's anyone?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:33 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the book on hodgson coming over was he was extremely dependable in his own end. hes a two way forward with excellent offensive skills, and above average in his own zone.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 am 
Cup Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
the book on hodgson coming over was he was extremely dependable in his own end. hes a two way forward with excellent offensive skills, and above average in his own zone.

I see that also. He needs to limit turnovers in our end, but other than that, he's not as bad as people are saying he is.

He's playing center, he's gonna get the most flack for backchecking and getting the puck out.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 am 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
His defensive skill? Not too worried yet, still only his second full year in the league and he's 22. It'll come in time of course. But then again, some of the greatest superstars out there have no defensive game. Sedin's anyone?

Their Corsi numbers tell a different story.

@TJLuckman550

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Thanks, now i need to go figure out what the hell 'corsi' numbers are.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:56 pm 
PP Quarterback

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Thanks, now i need to go figure out what the hell 'corsi' numbers are.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2009/10/ ... ons-3-what

In short, stat that relates to puck possession, accounting for shots taken, which includes shots on goal, blocked shots, missed shots, etc (shots that are directed at the net). Positive indicates that the player is on the ice for more shots their team takes than their team allows. Negative, obviously the opposite. The stat is then expressed at a rate over 60 minutes.

Both Sedins are at the top of the league in this stat and their relative Corsis, which is a stat that takes into account the Corsi of the team while the Sedins are off the ice compared to when their on the ice.

Long story short, it's a misconception that the Sedins don't play defense. It also helps that they generate shit tons of offense.

@TJLuckman550

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The Corsi number is also abused and treated as gospel by WAAAAAAAY too many. It's a decent idea, but like any other statistic, by itself it holds little value. Needs context.

Re CoHo, he is a 23 year old kid who is NOT terrible defensively when compared to most players with similar NHL experience.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
The Corsi number is also abused and treated as gospel by WAAAAAAAY too many. It's a decent idea, but like any other statistic, by itself it holds little value. Needs context.

Re CoHo, he is a 23 year old kid who is NOT terrible defensively when compared to most players with similar NHL experience.

I'll give you that. Pairing it with QualComp, Quality of Teammates, as well as zone start percentages helps.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 pm 
Cup Winner

Squanto wrote:

And we all got to think that this is his second full NHL season too.

Rud wrote:

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 pm 
Power Forward

Squanto wrote:

I'm with you.