It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
sabretoothpick
 Post subject: Re: Lindy Fired
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm 
PP Quarterback

Displaced Fan wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
BagBoy wrote:
The TSN message boards have Lindy going to Colorado, NY Rangers, Columbus, Edmonton, Toronto, the GM in Toronto, etc. Someone said that some team will fire their current coach just to get Ruff. Popular sentiment appears to be that Regier should have gotten the axe, not Lindy.

That's how I feel. I think Regier is more responsible for the lack of success than Ruff.
Think about the outrage when Ruff wins a cup with his next team.

How so? The reason I ask is that the roster has changed....talent has been injected....moves have been made but still the team flounders. We have a good team on paper and a terrible one on the ice. That makes me believe, and I'm not alone in this, that the fault doesn't lie with Darcy but instead the guy who's job it is to transfer the good team on paper to wins on the ice. It seems like mismanagement when there is such a disparity between high ability and low achievement.

Now, where I am torn is that if you know your coach's style then at what point does fault lie with Darcy for trying to add square pegs to Lindy's round hole system? He got great pieces but not ones that fit into what Ruff was trying to do. That being said, we have had many roster changes and the overall product was one of failure.

The team is not as good on paper as a lot of fans want it to be. I agree with Lebruns take on the team. The D is deep but not good enough and soft and the center position is very weak (especially defensively).

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 pm 
PP Quarterback

I don't know how to show the tweets, but Lebrun tweeted:
Quote:
Lindy Ruff will re-emerge just like Carlyle and a year from now we'll be writing stories on what a great hire Ruff was. And it will be true

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 pm 
Cup Winner

We all know how good of a coach Ruff is and was. His time here just got stall and boring. His players looked like they weren't listening to him.

Some of the best coaches in history of all sports get fired from their teams.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 pm 
Hart Winner

sabretoothpick wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
BagBoy wrote:
The TSN message boards have Lindy going to Colorado, NY Rangers, Columbus, Edmonton, Toronto, the GM in Toronto, etc. Someone said that some team will fire their current coach just to get Ruff. Popular sentiment appears to be that Regier should have gotten the axe, not Lindy.

That's how I feel. I think Regier is more responsible for the lack of success than Ruff.

How so? The reason I ask is that the roster has changed....talent has been injected....moves have been made but still the team flounders. We have a good team on paper and a terrible one on the ice. That makes me believe, and I'm not alone in this, that the fault doesn't lie with Darcy but instead the guy who's job it is to transfer the good team on paper to wins on the ice. It seems like mismanagement when there is such a disparity between high ability and low achievement.

Now, where I am torn is that if you know your coach's style then at what point does fault lie with Darcy for trying to add square pegs to Lindy's round hole system? He got great pieces but not ones that fit into what Ruff was trying to do. That being said, we have had many roster changes and the overall product was one of failure.

The team is not as good on paper as a lot of fans want it to be. I agree with Lebruns take on the team. The D is deep but not good enough and soft and the center position is very weak (especially defensively).

Regher, Ehrhoff, Myers, all three D men are good. Regher was Calgary's best d man, Ehrhoff was Couver's best offensive D man, Myers is supposed to be an elite D man and has played like one before. Sulzer plays well, Sekera meh, Weber and Brennan haven't ever sucked this bad.

Our D on paper is capable of being elite. It was decent last year. Now all the sudden it blows. Players shouldn't blow for no reason when they haven't before.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
BagBoy wrote:

Regher, Ehrhoff, Myers, all three D men are good. Regher was Calgary's best d man, Ehrhoff was Couver's best offensive D man, Myers is supposed to be an elite D man and has played like one before. Sulzer plays well, Sekera meh, Weber and Brennan haven't ever sucked this bad.

Our D on paper is capable of being elite. It was decent last year. Now all the sudden it blows. Players shouldn't blow for no reason when they haven't before.

I have to disagree. Regehr is over the hill and besides Weber we have no hitters and toughness on D. They are quite soft. We have elite offensively talented D-men, but their defensive skills aren't elite. Sekera, Ehrhoff, Sulzer and Leopold aren't elite in their own end, even on paper.
Sulzer should be a 7th D-men at best. I don't think he would be on any top-team D-roster.
Myers has certainly all the tools but he hasn't shown it since his calder year. I think it's wrong to blame the coach for all the stupid mistakes they made.

EDIT: TL,DR: I just think it's too easy to blame the coach and give the players and Darcy an excuse for the poor play and lack of success.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 pm 
Cup Winner

You do realize Myers and Leopold both have 20 hits, and Regher only has 22?

Weber has 38.

But hits don't mean the are playing good D at all, that normally means you're chasing for a puck. I'd rather see higher blocked shots and takeaways with our D-men than more hits.

And Sekera and Sulzer have been our best defensmen on both ends of the ice. Maybe they wouldn't be a top pair guys, but they sure aren't making the mistakes others have made.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 am 
Power Forward

sabretoothpick wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
BagBoy wrote:

I have to disagree. Regehr is over the hill and besides Weber we have no hitters and toughness on D. They are quite soft. We have elite offensively talented D-men, but their defensive skills aren't elite. Sekera, Ehrhoff, Sulzer and Leopold aren't elite in their own end, even on paper.
Sulzer should be a 7th D-men at best. I don't think he would be on any top-team D-roster.
Myers has certainly all the tools but he hasn't shown it since his calder year. I think it's wrong to blame the coach for all the stupid mistakes they made.

EDIT: TL,DR: I just think it's too easy to blame the coach and give the players and Darcy an excuse for the poor play and lack of success.

Yeah Regehr was vastly overrated IMO. Hope he leaves this offseason. He was definately not calgarys best defenseman. I disagree with you about Sulzer he's been awesome this season don't know why u don't see that? I believe we should call up McNabb he was awesome last year way better to have then Leopold. It's give us some physicality back there. Other than Weber no one really has a physical aspect to there game on the blue line. Hopefully this firing will spark some trades coming our way.

HipKat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am 
Garbage Man

BlueandYellow wrote:
HipKat wrote:
I hope it's not one of the guys that have coached under Ruff and would just keep his tired system going. We need fire in here that will light a match under the asses of the players that Ruff has lulled into a coma.

Well, if a coach under Ruff would take over, I'd assume it'd be temporary.

I worded that wrong. It was assumptive that someone within the organization would take over, I just didn't want to see the same complacency and same tired system.

I'm, actually pretty pleased with the choice to bring up Rolston.

HipKat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 am 
Garbage Man

Jammerz04 wrote:

Yeah Regehr was vastly overrated IMO. Hope he leaves this offseason. He was definately not calgarys best defenseman. I disagree with you about Sulzer he's been awesome this season don't know why u don't see that? I believe we should call up McNabb he was awesome last year way better to have then Leopold. It's give us some physicality back there. Other than Weber no one really has a physical aspect to there game on the blue line. Hopefully this firing will spark some trades coming our way.

The good thing about having Rolston come up is the influence he may have over bringing players like McNabb up with him

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 am 
PP Quarterback

HipKat wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

The good thing about having Rolston come up is the influence he may have over bringing players like McNabb up with him

I heard/read that McNabb sucked this year in Rochester

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Jammerz04 wrote:

Sulzer is a train wreck in his own end most nights.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:36 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
We all know how good of a coach Ruff is and was. His time here just got stall and boring. His players looked like they weren't listening to him.

Some of the best coaches in history of all sports get fired from their teams.

Very true. And it was obvious that the team needed a fresh set of eyes

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm 
resident car guy

sabretoothpick wrote:
HipKat wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

I heard/read that McNabb sucked this year in Rochester

He's had his struggles as any young player would. He's made some bad turnovers, pinched at the wrong times, and been burned, but it's just growing pains. With that being said he's also made some good plays and shows signs that he'll be a good player. I wouldn't call him up yet.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:00 pm 
Power Forward

Crosscheck wrote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :evil: :evil: :evil:

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:07 pm 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

Thank god, I'm not alone. I want him as a 7th D-man at best.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:25 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le8923492/

Quote:
Like most NHL teams, the Sabres make sure their farm team plays the same style as the big club so Rolston is not promising a new blue print.

“There’s not going to be any major changes,” he said. “The players know what needs to be done. The responsibility falls on [the coaches] to make sure they get the message.”

Officially, Rolston is the interim head coach through the rest of this season. He is going to work hard to make that a permanent position.

“Yeah, without question,” he said, “that’s certainly the goal.”

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:30 pm 
Star Sniper

sabretoothpick wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

Thank god, I'm not alone. I want him as a 7th D-man at best.

It's his skating. The guy gets visibly nervous when he has to make his turn, and skate backwards. He usually flips around at about the red line after skating to full speed, and can't make a play until the face-off circle. I'm utterly shocked so many people don't notice this, and if any players watch film on him, he's an easy target because of it. It severely limits how he can play his gap and puck pressure. He does however have the smarts, it's just a shame his feet aren't cooperating. I wouldn't necessarily call him a #7, and I'm ok with him getting 5-6 minutes. We should have grabbed Ben Lovejoy. He can at least skate, and still gets pucks to the net. Then again, we should have got Winnick instead of Hecht, too. Oh Darcy!

Crosscheck wrote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/new-coach-rolston-offers-blunt-assessment-of-sabres/article8923492/

Quote:
Like most NHL teams, the Sabres make sure their farm team plays the same style as the big club so Rolston is not promising a new blue print.

“There’s not going to be any major changes,” he said. “The players know what needs to be done. The responsibility falls on [the coaches] to make sure they get the message.”

Officially, Rolston is the interim head coach through the rest of this season. He is going to work hard to make that a permanent position.

“Yeah, without question,” he said, “that’s certainly the goal.”

This is reassuring. lol

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm 
Hart Winner

Squanto wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

That +4 is pretty hard to ignore.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:41 pm 
Star Sniper

BlueandYellow wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

That +4 is pretty hard to ignore.

Haha, the old +/- argument. Ya got me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next