It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:25 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Jones is ranked #1 in both NHL central scouting and the international scouting service. MacKinnon is #3 in both lists, with different players at #2 on both lists. To me, that seems to say Jones is the clear-cut scouts' favorite. Not sure why most everyone here just puts MacKinnon and Jones at the same level. I would personally be disappointed (to put it lightly) if Buffalo got the 1st pick and took MacKinnon.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 pm 
Hart Winner

Mackinnon was hurt, that made his ranking less.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:35 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

BlueandYellow wrote:

Yeah, you've said that before. But he's not hurt anymore, so why is he not only not back at the top spot, but also not even #2 on either list yet? I'd have to say because, as things stand now, injury or no, the scouts don't think he is the top prospect anymore.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 pm 
Hart Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Yeah, you've said that before. But he's not hurt anymore, so why is he not only not back at the top spot, but also not even #2 on either list yet? I'd have to say because, as things stand now, injury or no, the scouts don't think he is the top prospect anymore.

Because it would be unjust for scouts to put him to back to the top just a few weeks after his injury, especially since the other two are doing good too.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

That neglects the fact that Jones was already ranked above Mackinnon before the knee injury, and that there are actually 3 other players we're talking about because NHL has Drouin at #2, and the ISS has this Russian Valery Nichushkin at #2. Jones has been North American #1 since January, and MacKinnon was injured February.

Mash it all together, and it looks to me like Jones is a cut above, with four or five players, including Mackinnon, within some sort of spitting distance. But I feel like there's still a perception that it's Jones vs. MacKinnon around here and I just don't see it that way.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:14 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
That neglects the fact that Jones was already ranked above Mackinnon before the knee injury, and that there are actually 3 other players we're talking about because NHL has Drouin at #2, and the ISS has this Russian Valery Nichushkin at #2. Jones has been North American #1 since January, and MacKinnon was injured February.

Mash it all together, and it looks to me like Jones is a cut above, with four or five players, including Mackinnon, within some sort of spitting distance. But I feel like there's still a perception that it's Jones vs. MacKinnon around here and I just don't see it that way.

I'd say it has a lot to do with their WJC performances. Jones was great, playing on a top pairing. Nathan MacKinnon didn't really get much of a chance to show his stuff on a low line.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 pm 
Hart Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

And MacKinnon at one point was actually #1.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I've seen MacKinnon first hand this season and to be honest, I'd rather Jones or Drouin over him. He has some amazing skill with the puck but away from it, he reminds me too much like Ovechkin; just a body out there.

Drouin would be my pick, tbh.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

I'd say it has a lot to do with their WJC performances. Jones was great, playing on a top pairing. Nathan MacKinnon didn't really get much of a chance to show his stuff on a low line.

Absolutely. That's the main reason I feel so strongly about Jones as the #1. He got to play against all the top talent in the world there, and he and MacKinnon were playing against the same competition. I barely noticed MacKinnon. Drouin was pretty good. But Jones was awesome.

Like I said in a different thread, I think the WJC was huge in this draft comparison, because it's the only direct comparison I have of the players in the same situation.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:22 pm 
Hart Winner

AudSabres wrote:
I've seen MacKinnon first hand this season and to be honest, I'd rather Jones or Drouin over him. He has some amazing skill with the puck but away from it, he reminds me too much like Ovechkin; just a body out there.

Drouin would be my pick, tbh.

I'd like a forward before a D at least. I'd be content with Jones, though, if we take him.

Basically, someone good.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:06 am 
Cup Winner

So say there is a forward in this draft that is NHL ready now, like a Hall, Tavares, Eberle, or a RNH player that will instantly make a difference in the NHL. Do you draft that guy or draft Jones who will clearly not see any time in the NHL with a Sabres team with so many defensmen in the system?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:10 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
So say there is a forward in this draft that is NHL ready now, like a Hall, Tavares, Eberle, or a RNH player that will instantly make a difference in the NHL. Do you draft that guy or draft Jones who will clearly not see any time in the NHL with a Sabres team with so many defensmen in the system?

Not so sure Jones wouldn't be in the opening night lineup for Buffalo next year. He is the most NHL-ready player in the draft. The WHL is the league most like the NHL according to scouts, and he's tearing the league up. This isn't Mark Pysyk (not that he's bad, just there's a big difference in raw talent).

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 pm 
Cup Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

Not so sure Jones wouldn't be in the opening night lineup for Buffalo next year. He is the most NHL-ready player in the draft. The WHL is the league most like the NHL according to scouts, and he's tearing the league up. This isn't Mark Pysyk (not that he's bad, just there's a big difference in raw talent).

Well it could also depend how free agency goes for us. Most likely Leopold and Regher won't get resigned so that opens up plenty of room on the Blueline.

But saying we resign our D or fill the open roles. I don't think we see anyone new on the blueline from the draft. Possibly the AHL though but not the draft.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.