It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 am 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
That's because you can assemble a good team through drafting and free agency and trades within a year or two.

Yeah, that worked out GREAT for the Sabres.... :laughing-rolling:

Potential potential potential... Potential is great but that means nothing until they prove themselves. I fully expect Grigorenko, Armia, Girgensons, and Ristolainen all get starting positions on the team next season. Does that mean they will be great players, not by a long shot. They have several years before we seen any true potential out of any one of them. Hell, Myers fucking suck and he was expected to be an "elite" defensman.

Because you fucking know how our prospects will do, right? And it hasn't even been two years. It's been a draft and three days of free agency. Fuck dude.

NO ONE DOES!!!!! You don't, I don't, THE SABRES DON'T!!! The prospects don't even know how they will do. So everyone who said grigorenko will be GREAT, doesn't know IF he will be great. it will be several years before we can tell if he is worth all this. As I said, Myers was suppose to be an elite defenseman and he hasn't done shit since his rookie year. If you talk to anyone (outside of Buffalo) would say he's a bust right now. I'm not saying things won't change with him but I don't see it. Especially if he needs his hands held by Tallinder.

They Sabres have tried for several years to build a Stanley Cup team by the draft, free agency, and trades. How has that worked out for them???? As of right now, if you don't get a top four draft pick then you most likely will not win a Stanley Cup. Yes, there is a very few exceptions but those are few and far between.

It hasn't worked? Well, considering we haven't had a top pick in A LOOONG TIME, and considering we almost won in 99, 2005-2006, and 2006-2007, it can be done. But when was the last time we had this much talent? We just drafted in the top 10 (8th) then with a 16th pick in an incredibly deep draft (ask anyone, Zadorov was projected to be better than Nurse at points). We also drafted Grigorenko last year, who was projected to be one of the top 5 before an injury. Then you count Armia, Girgensons, and the trade for Larsson. With Makarov, Ullstrom, Ristolainen, Zadorov, that's a supreme amount of prime prospects. When was the last time we had this? Not in a long time, if ever. Give this a chance...

Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus ranks the Sabres with the 3rd-best prospect group in the league, behind Tampa Bay and... I can't think of team #2, but that's pretty fantastic.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 am 
PP Quarterback

I liken this season to watching a season of middle school sports. Not a whole lot to cheer for other then your teams players to do well and grow. It's not a bad thing. I will just watch games a bit differently then I have in the past. Not a lot of expectations just watching the young bucks grow.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
What's the most likely line-up next season (if nothing happens in the summer)? Please correct me if I missed something.

Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford
Leino - Ennis - Foligno
Ott - Grigorenko - Flynn (Armia)
Scott - Porter - Kaleta

Myer - Tallinder
Ehrhoff - Weber
Mcbain - Pysyk (Ristolainen)

Not much scoring in the line-up.

ksquier89 wrote:
I actually like those lines(like as in the best possible scenario for us as of this moment) you need protection for grigs(otter) and ennis(foligno). I am not giving up on the Leino experiment yet. Guy has a lot of hand eye skill. One more year and you can say I told you so. Patience with him at this point cannot be a bad thing. I, also, think foligno comes into his own and adapts an otter style of play.

It doesn't look so bad on paper, but they're young, small and defensively weak in the middle and they lack scoring on the wings. Besides Vanek (if he's still here) there won't be real scoring threats.

The D doesn't look bad on paper if Myers and Mcbain get their shit together.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 pm 
PP Quarterback

I see Miller splitting some heavy time with another keeper. If the keeper is somewhat competitive then I see us shipping miller. If that is the case I think we also shop Vanek and stack up on draft picks. Why would we tell people we are shopping them now? We don't tell other teams our hand. We say we want to keep them and drive up the cost. Plus, the more competitive the team is through the season the better stats those players would theoretically have and they would then in turn net a better return. I would want to trade them and get as many first and second rounders as possible. Play the percentages in our favor.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 am 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
That's because you can assemble a good team through drafting and free agency and trades within a year or two.

Yeah, that worked out GREAT for the Sabres.... :laughing-rolling:

Potential potential potential... Potential is great but that means nothing until they prove themselves. I fully expect Grigorenko, Armia, Girgensons, and Ristolainen all get starting positions on the team next season. Does that mean they will be great players, not by a long shot. They have several years before we seen any true potential out of any one of them. Hell, Myers fucking suck and he was expected to be an "elite" defensman.

Because you fucking know how our prospects will do, right? And it hasn't even been two years. It's been a draft and three days of free agency. Fuck dude.

NO ONE DOES!!!!! You don't, I don't, THE SABRES DON'T!!! The prospects don't even know how they will do. So everyone who said grigorenko will be GREAT, doesn't know IF he will be great. it will be several years before we can tell if he is worth all this. As I said, Myers was suppose to be an elite defenseman and he hasn't done shit since his rookie year. If you talk to anyone (outside of Buffalo) would say he's a bust right now. I'm not saying things won't change with him but I don't see it. Especially if he needs his hands held by Tallinder.

They Sabres have tried for several years to build a Stanley Cup team by the draft, free agency, and trades. How has that worked out for them???? As of right now, if you don't get a top four draft pick then you most likely will not win a Stanley Cup. Yes, there is a very few exceptions but those are few and far between.

It hasn't worked? Well, considering we haven't had a top pick in A LOOONG TIME, and considering we almost won in 99, 2005-2006, and 2006-2007, it can be done. But when was the last time we had this much talent? We just drafted in the top 10 (8th) then with a 16th pick in an incredibly deep draft (ask anyone, Zadorov was projected to be better than Nurse at points). We also drafted Grigorenko last year, who was projected to be one of the top 5 before an injury. Then you count Armia, Girgensons, and the trade for Larsson. With Makarov, Ullstrom, Ristolainen, Zadorov, that's a supreme amount of prime prospects. When was the last time we had this? Not in a long time, if ever. Give this a chance...

Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus ranks the Sabres with the 3rd-best prospect group in the league, behind Tampa Bay and... I can't think of team #2, but that's pretty fantastic.

I'm sorry, I just don't take alot of stock in prospects who have never played in this league. Kids who need a few years before they even think about putting on a NHL jersey permanently. Until they prove themselves on that ice, until they show that they can really make a difference..... Then I'll be excited. I'm not getting excited for 16-18 year olds who play a good game with other kids. Grigorenko was a perfect example of that last year. He came into the NHL with a huge fucking attitude and got his ass kicked all over the ice. Maybe that was what he needed. Maybe he'll be more humble now. Who knows but that was a perfect example why I don't get excited by what they do else where. I hate to bring it up again, but Myers is another perfect fucking example of people having these huge expectations of a player and they fall flat on their face.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely potential but that's all it is right now.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:54 am 
PP Quarterback

Everyone was a prospect at one point. I don't see how we can just bypass drafting talent because "they haven't proven anything" Crosby at one point hadn't proven anything. Plus, if we have a shitton of 1st and 2nd rounders then one would think a few of those would pan out. We have a lot of 1st and 2nd rounders and I am sure the percentage of those that reach the NHL and succeed is much better then the latter rounds.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:55 am 
PP Quarterback

Buying doesn't work out to well. Our best years were when we had the best grown in house via draft and trading for prospects. You pay people for what they are capable of doing. If you constanly pay people for what they have done you will grossly overpay and destroy your cap number, IE Leino, Stafford, Boyes. Buy low and sell high.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 am 
PP Quarterback

All those years of the Rangers buying all the players on the market. What came of that? Nothing.

You don't win in free agency. You add supplementary pieces to help your core players win. If you don't have a core, there's no use for the supplements.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 am 
Captain Clutch

I may have come off like I do not think we should develop our own talent through prospects. I do agree that is the best way to build a team. I just don't get excited, like so many do, over these kids. Since there is so much uncertainty with them at this stage. I also have no faith in the development system for the Sabres righ now. I almost feel like the plan is to do majority of their development in the NHL. The biggest reason why Darcy hired RR was his development skills. Personally, I think that's a really bad idea. I guess Darcy is ok rolling the dice. I just think the Sabres will become a developement team for the rest of the NHL.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
I may have come off like I do not think we should develop our own talent through prospects. I do agree that is the best way to build a team. I just don't get excited, like so many do, over these kids. Since there is so much uncertainty with them at this stage. I also have no faith in the development system for the Sabres righ now. I almost feel like the plan is to do majority of their development in the NHL. The biggest reason why Darcy hired RR was his development skills. Personally, I think that's a really bad idea. I guess Darcy is ok rolling the dice. I just think the Sabres will become a developement team for the rest of the NHL.

Hey, the Pittsburgh Pirates have come around!

@TJLuckman550

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:54 pm 
PP Quarterback

I'll be honest. Unless it's a Rochester signing, I don't see any more moves being made for the main roster this summer. The roster is full with 13 forwards, 8 defensmen, and 2 goalies. If the Sabres are truly sticking with what they have, I'm pretty sure we can close up shop for free agency watch this summer.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:18 pm 
Hart Winner

It better not be. Our forward depth is awful for forwards that are actually a sure thing to play. Brunner, Grabovski, Penner... There's a lot of forward free agents to add to our 2nd/3rd line. All we need is ONE.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 pm 
PP Quarterback

Tank it. Tank it real good.

I want a top 3 pick and to build a brick shithouse of winning.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
I'll be honest. Unless it's a Rochester signing, I don't see any more moves being made for the main roster this summer. The roster is full with 13 forwards, 8 defensmen, and 2 goalies. If the Sabres are truly sticking with what they have, I'm pretty sure we can close up shop for free agency watch this summer.

I second that motion, all in favor?

As for...
BlueandYellow wrote:
It better not be. Our forward depth is awful for forwards that are actually a sure thing to play. Brunner, Grabovski, Penner... There's a lot of forward free agents to add to our 2nd/3rd line. All we need is ONE.

Darcy isn't worried about the offense right now. He was focused on rebuilding the defense during this off season. He will evaluate the current offense this season and will start the offense rebuild next off season.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 pm 
PP Quarterback

Our offense is going to be funneling guys up and seeing what they can do. It's not going to be pretty but I believe we have a lot of potential already in the system. We will finish in the bottom 5 if we stand pay with what we have. And as mentioned before we could be a top 3 draft pick away from having some serious scoring potential. I think Grigs is one full year off from realizing his potential. Expect a Maxim Afinogenov type year. Flashes of brilliance followed by a several game lull. foligno will go back to what he did when he first got here. That is grind, crack skulls, and let the play come to him. He could have 10-15 gordie Howe hattricks next year. Ennis can and will be a 25-30 goal scorer with 30-40 assists. Leino should come into his own as the ultimate set up man. His drag and ability to carry a puck and let people position themselves for a shot is amongst the best in the league. we all know what Vanner can do. I think Hodge has a huge year for this team. Aside from that we will have guys trying to find their way which is fine. If Pommers is interested in coming back we all know what he can do(free agent next year) if things go swimmingly it could be 1-2 years for playoffs again. I am a realist and think 2-4 is more accurate. This year I won't get all rilled up at the score but pay attention to player development. With our blueline I expect some low scoring games.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:13 pm 
Cup Winner

I also hope Armia gets a crack at the NHL roster. I feel like he's going to be a top winger in the league, especially with his showing at the WJC this year, second only to RNH in points is pretty neat.

Grigorenko, I hope he works out hard this summer and is ready next year.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 am 
PP Quarterback

The Russians are a prideful people. Almost to a fault. I am guessing his romping this year really put a hurt on his ego. I expect him to be faster and stronger then last year. I hope his on ice attitude is more 100% every shift. Otter will make Grigs his whipping boy during practice. I have no doubts about that. Otter must realize it is incumbant upon him to push this kid and his raw skill to become as good as he can. I don't think grigs frame fills out until next year

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:02 am 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:
The Russians are a prideful people. Almost to a fault. I am guessing his romping this year really put a hurt on his ego. I expect him to be faster and stronger then last year. I hope his on ice attitude is more 100% every shift. Otter will make Grigs his whipping boy during practice. I have no doubts about that. Otter must realize it is incumbant upon him to push this kid and his raw skill to become as good as he can. I don't think grigs frame fills out until next year

Grigs' frame really isn't the issue. He's around 200 lb. so he has the size to play. His skating is a little weird, though, which hampers his natural ability. Once he gets that resolved, he could be a top player. His effort seemed to be a huge problem as well. It almost seems like once he's down, he stays down. That's a little worrisome, considering this team's penchant for panicking in "losing" situations.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 am 
PP Quarterback

I was talking about man weight. Pack on more muscle

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:02 pm 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

So Darcy basically said that they are done. Vanek and Miller will be here till, at least, training camp. They are stacked with forwards so they don't need anymore and he flat out lied about Gerbe. Saying it was a mutual decision

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next