It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 am 
Captain Clutch

Displaced Fan wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
You'd worry about a coach? Rolston is fine. We've been better with him. it's time for personnel change.

They have been better because half the team has been under him at one point in their career, but I'm still not convinced. He may be the best for the job since they'll be basically an AHL team for a few years.

There are more proven coaches out there without a team and to not look at them as options here in Buffalo would be foolish. Rolston may very well be the coach this team needs but a few weeks of bench time isn't enough to base that kind of opinion on. I would like to see this team get a new GM, new coach and new assistant coaches. Anything Darcy and Lindy related needs to be burned like leprosy blankets. I hope they look at available GMs as well who have had success with teams during rebuild years....but you know what happens to Buffalo fans who hope for logic and common sense.

Sadly we all know that Regier saved his ass by firing Lindy. Now he's going to get rid of all the vets that have been under Lindy for years. He has convinced Pegula the HE can build a team from fucking scratch.... :laughing-rolling: I guess we don't have a choice but to sit back and watch this team struggle for years. I really hope next season we really suck because if they sit in the middle of the pack, year after year we will NEVER see a cup here...NEVER!!!!!

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am 
Hart Winner

Why are you angry about Regier not making a team? According to you we need a coach more than anything. And Regier DID make a team. I.E trading for Drury and Briere, drafting Miller, Vanek, Pomminville, Roy (I guess lol), Afinogenov, and Campbell... That was a good team to me...

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Why are you angry about Regier not making a team? According to you we need a coach more than anything. And Regier DID make a team. I.E trading for Drury and Briere, drafting Miller, Vanek, Pomminville, Roy (I guess lol), Afinogenov, and Campbell... That was a good team to me...

So what you're saying is: Darcy has built a good team before.

I think he can do it again.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

lol yeah that's what I was *trying* to say. People like to complain that Regier is an awful GM but I just don't see it. Our best players on this team we drafted (Ennis, Miller, Vanek) and our prospects now look promising. Regier has drafted and built good teams before but people have it embedded in their minds that he hasn't. Not to mention he fleeces GM's in trades.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

lol yeah that's what I was *trying* to say. People like to complain that Regier is an awful GM but I just don't see it. Our best players on this team we drafted (Ennis, Miller, Vanek) and our prospects now look promising. Regier has drafted and built good teams before but people have it embedded in their minds that he hasn't. Not to mention he fleeces GM's in trades.

Yeah. People say he "lucked" into his team coming out of the lockout. Sorry, you don't just luck into teams like that. They were a solid bunch. If anything's been a problem for Buffalo, it's been keeping talent in the system and bringing free agents in, which you can't blame the GM for when your organization looks like crap from the outside looking in (Golisano era). Dumont, Briere, and Drury all left because of incompetent management.

@TJLuckman550

HipKat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm 
Garbage Man

BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Too bad he couldn't friggin' keep any of them here...

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 pm 
PP Quarterback

HipKat wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

How is that the GM's fault? Either the player wants to stay here or he doesn't.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:39 pm 
Hart Winner

HipKat wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Briere was the only one I blame him for, to be honest.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
HipKat wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Briere was the only one I blame him for, to be honest.

I think the Sabres severely underestimated what those players could get on the open market. Not just Regier. We have to remember that management pretty much gave him a money limit he could sign Briere, and everyone, to.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 am 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Yeah. People say he "lucked" into his team coming out of the lockout. Sorry, you don't just luck into teams like that. They were a solid bunch. If anything's been a problem for Buffalo, it's been keeping talent in the system and bringing free agents in, which you can't blame the GM for when your organization looks like crap from the outside looking in (Golisano era). Dumont, Briere, and Drury all left because of incompetent management.

A solid bunch that just couldn't bring home the prize..... So I guess you're ok with Regier's teams ability to win some playoff games, a few division and conference titles, and a president's trophy but NEVER win a Stanley Cup. He has build decent teams but i don't think he can build a Stanley Cup champions.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:02 pm 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

A solid bunch that just couldn't bring home the prize..... So I guess you're ok with Regier's teams ability to win some playoff games, a few division and conference titles, and a president's trophy but NEVER win a Stanley Cup. He has build decent teams but i don't think he can build a Stanley Cup champions.

05-06 WAS a Stanley Cup team. Until they all got injured.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:41 am 
Captain Clutch

They may have been but we will never know.... His chance to rebuild this team was when they lost Drury and Briere. That would have been the perfect excuse to get rid of everyone. They had a owner who wanted a tiny payroll and they lost their two best players. He should have dropped all his high dollar players, brought up a bunch of cheap AHL players and tanked the team. Did he, nope.... The Sabres haven't been a good team since that debacle. So Darcy waited until we had a owner with deep pockets who made promises that his GM couldn't keep. Now we all have to suffer for SEVERAL MORE YEARS of shitty hockey in hopes he makes the right moves to be competitive. Sorry, I don't trust his ability to do it... I just don't.

No matter what anyone say, this team will not be competitive for several years. Yes, I say it will take at least 5 years to be competitive. They plan on building a winning team through the draft. That means they have to be bottom feeders for a few years to get great young talent. Finishing 10 or 11 will never do it....

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:47 pm 
Hart Winner

So you're blaming him for not making the team filled with AHLers and you blame him for not keeping Drury, who went to NY after receiving an offer the same to ours, and Briere, the only one I get.

You don't see the stupidity in this? What team ever purposely shitted up the team to tank?

I'll wait for you to spend nine hours on google.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:24 pm 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
They may have been but we will never know.... His chance to rebuild this team was when they lost Drury and Briere. That would have been the perfect excuse to get rid of everyone. They had a owner who wanted a tiny payroll and they lost their two best players. He should have dropped all his high dollar players, brought up a bunch of cheap AHL players and tanked the team. Did he, nope.... The Sabres haven't been a good team since that debacle. So Darcy waited until we had a owner with deep pockets who made promises that his GM couldn't keep. Now we all have to suffer for SEVERAL MORE YEARS of shitty hockey in hopes he makes the right moves to be competitive. Sorry, I don't trust his ability to do it... I just don't.

No matter what anyone say, this team will not be competitive for several years. Yes, I say it will take at least 5 years to be competitive. They plan on building a winning team through the draft. That means they have to be bottom feeders for a few years to get great young talent. Finishing 10 or 11 will never do it....

Detroit seems to do well, you know drafting in the bottom half of the rounds and have the longest playoff appearances in all four major sports...

And tanking the team for draft picks is the best way to get fired, unless your owner is in full agreement a full rebuild is needed. And a full rebuild is not what is needed. We need to drop the dead weight and older players who are useless now for younger and better guys. We have some great young talent, and next year they may possibly be able to play. We got Armia, Grigorenko, Girgesons, Adam, and so many others that could very well be in the lineup next year.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:39 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
So you're blaming him for not making the team filled with AHLers and you blame him for not keeping Drury, who went to NY after receiving an offer the same to ours, and Briere, the only one I get.

You don't see the stupidity in this? What team ever purposely shitted up the team to tank?

Hahahaha, where in my post did I blame Darcy for Drury/Briere????? Please show me.... What I said was "His chance to rebuild this team was when they lost Drury and Briere." Where in that statement did I blame him for it??????????? Several of the top teams today had miserable years where they WERE at the bottom. then they were able to get one, or several, number one draft picks. Did they purposely plan on being bad, probably not but no team would admit it if they did.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:56 am 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Hahahaha, where in my post did I blame Darcy for Drury/Briere????? Please show me.... What I said was "His chance to rebuild this team was when they lost Drury and Briere." Where in that statement did I blame him for it??????????? Several of the top teams today had miserable years where they WERE at the bottom. then they were able to get one, or several, number one draft picks. Did they purposely plan on being bad, probably not but no team would admit it if they did.

And look at several of the bottom teams that have REMAINED on the bottom. Edmonton. They drafted Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, Yakupov, etc. And they still blow. Look at Florida. Look at Tampa. Come now. You NEVER EVER say a GM is bad because he won't tank. And he never actually rebuilt, because after Drury and Briere left he felt he actually had a decent team that only needed a few renovations, which to a point was true because we made the playoffs twice. But I digress. He's actually rebuilding now. And since he has built a good team before, he most certainly can do it again, and pointing fingers at the GM without any reason to is common when the team sucks.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:09 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

And look at several of the bottom teams that have REMAINED on the bottom. Edmonton. They drafted Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, Yakupov, etc. And they still blow. Look at Florida. Look at Tampa. Come now. You NEVER EVER say a GM is bad because he won't tank. And he never actually rebuilt, because after Drury and Briere left he felt he actually had a decent team that only needed a few renovations, which to a point was true because we made the playoffs twice. But I digress. He's actually rebuilding now. And since he has built a good team before, he most certainly can do it again, and pointing fingers at the GM without any reason to is common when the team sucks.

I'll give you Tampa and Edmonton but Florida hasn't had a first round pick since 1994. Obviously that will probably change this season.

The reason why people point fingers at the GM when their team sucks is because he's the one that builds the team. He's the one that hires the scouts and the coaches. He's the one is the final say on who they draft, trade, pick up in free agency using the info obtained by the staff he hires. So it is on him when the team doesn't perform as expected, year after year after year..... Obviously Pegula and his advisors hold Darcy in high regards so we have no choice. We, as fans, have to wait and see what Darcy will do to rebuild the team. If he builds this team and they win the Stanley Cup within the next 5 years.... Then I'll eat crow and give him props.

Honestly, I'm venting because I don't see a light at the end of this tunnel. We were promised, yes promised a Stanley Cup within three seasons. The reason why, because the owner put his complete faith in Darcy Regier because I'm sure Darcy told him this team would be in the right spot after some "renovations" as you called it. Well they're not.... Darcy failed to add the right pieces to the puzzle. Our top goal scorer and top goalie will be leaving the team by the end of next season (if not sooner). Now we have to endure a rebuild again by the same GM who wasn't able to succeed with the last rebuild. Yeah they had some great moments, some great players but they didn't win the prize. They didn't bring home the cup.... For that i would call his last rebuild a failure.

As I said, there is no light at the end of this tunnel and I just feel like we'll be crashing into a brick wall eventually.

Man, I appreciate this debate we've had. Neither of us really know what will happen and both of us have decidedly different views on what could happen. I hope your view comes through, I really do.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:49 pm 
Hart Winner

Yeah, looking at a team that seams fucked isn't fun. I agree. But what with our prospects that look decent (Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Makarov, McCabe) the good team might already be in progress.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 pm 
Cup Winner

I hope you mean first overall pick and not a first round pick, because Florida has had a first round draft pick all but 3 years since 1994.

And in 2011 they picked Huberdeau at third overall, in 2010 they drafted Erik Gudbranson 3rd overall also.

You don't need to draft first overall to get good players in the draft anyways.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm 
Captain Clutch

I meant 1st overall. Yes, there are good players in the first round, especially in the top 15 but I think you are at an advantage if you get the 1st or 2nd overall. It is true that you need to build around that 1st or 2nd overall to have a winning team but it's the start you need.

Looking at recent history (last 10 years or so). The Penguins and the Blackhawks are the two best examples. Penguins were able to get Fluery (1st overall 2003), Malkin (2nd overall 2004), and Crosby (1st overall 2005). Three years later they won the cup. Blackhawks were able to get Toews (2nd overall 2006) and Kane (1st overall 2007). They won the cup in 2010. The Caps had an amazing team a couple years after drafting Ovie, they just couldn't get around their goalie issues. Even the Islanders are resurging after drafting Tavares (1st overall) in 2009. Oh and Tampa had the 1st overall in 1998 and won in 2004.

Now the Bruins and the Kings did win the cup but they took the hard way. They were just not good enough forever and built their team by drafts, trades, and free agency. That is why it took the Bruins 39 years to win the Stanley Cup. Hell, the Bruins had the first overall in 1997.... Thorton who is still on their team.

So there is some correlation with getting the 1st and/or 2nd overall and being a winning team. It still takes several years to build your team around your top pick. THAT is Edmonton's problem, they are being very impatient and possibly not making the right moves. That is why their GM is looking for a new job. Not saying you NEED the top 2 overall's but it sure helps and speeds up the process a bit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next