It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 pm 
Cup Winner

It may speed up the process and it may not. Most of the time that 1st overall will get you the best possible player in the draft and can help you right away, other times it won't.

The thing with Edmonton is they have all these great forwards, yet only one or two really legit defensemen.

I still don't think this rebuild will take 5 years at all. The only way I see it taking long is if, and it's a big if, if if Miller actually does leave the team. Even with this bad year, he still has never indicated he would want out of Buffalo. I'd still hate to see Vanek go, but I hope he stays and management reassures him to stay.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:01 pm 
Captain Clutch

See, that's were you and I disagree. I see Miller and Vanek leaving before their contract expires. Not because of the way this season ended but the uncertainty of the teams future. They both want to win and want to win NOW!!! Not is 2, 3, 4..... years. Plus the Sabres need to take both of their contracts into consideration because of the cap issue Darcy created and was exacerbated by the new CBA. If they don't re-sign by the start of the season then they are all but gone....IMO.

I'm glad you have some faith in Darcy to make the right decisions that will make this team winners. You're becoming the minority...

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 pm 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
See, that's were you and I disagree. I see Miller and Vanek leaving before their contract expires. Not because of the way this season ended but the uncertainty of the teams future. They both want to win and want to win NOW!!! Not is 2, 3, 4..... years. Plus the Sabres need to take both of their contracts into consideration because of the cap issue Darcy created and was exacerbated by the new CBA. If they don't re-sign by the start of the season then they are all but gone....IMO.

I'm glad you have some faith in Darcy to make the right decisions that will make this team winners. You're becoming the minority...

Cap issues are the least of our worries for next year. We have 16 million dollars next year in cap space and the only player who can or should get a decent raise is Hodgson and that should only be around 3 million.

Everyone else hasn't earned anything higher than what they got last year.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 pm 
Captain Clutch

Open foot, insert mouth..... You're right, that's what I get for opening my mouth after I read something before checking cap geek.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am 
Captain Clutch

What is the thought now. Does any believe that something will happen over the Summer???

I honestly think that when they get traded, either the summer or at the deadline, we won't see anything blockbuster. They will mainly want draft picks and prospects. I almost guarantee there will be no big name players being sent here for Vanek and Miller. Anyone who believes that this "rebuild" will take only a couple years, keep dreaming.....

I almost see what Darcy's plan is....

2013 draft - mainly defense, a few offensive players
2014 draft - add more offense but still concentrate on defense
2015 draft - work exclusively on offense

Obviously this is highly dependent on how bad the Sabres get in the next couple of seasons.

Also did anyone hear the interview Darcy gave after the draft. How he wanted to concentrate on big defensemen because that is the way the league is going RIGHT NOW! Seriously, he just NOW thinks the league is going bigger with players???? Other teams have been building bigger teams for the last five season while the Sabres concentrated on smaller, faster players. How the HELL does Pegula think Darcy knows what the fuck he's doing when WE all have know the league changes for years but he is just realizing now.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm 
Hart Winner

So when was the last time we saw a long term rebuild? Really never. That's because you can assemble a good team through drafting and free agency and trades within a year or two.

As it stands now, Zadorov and Ristolainen have the potential to be amazing defensemen, and our D potentially can be solid. As well as Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, etc being in the AHL, nobody can even come close to predicting whether or not we'll be good or not.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:29 pm 
Cup Winner

BlueandYellow wrote:
So when was the last time we saw a long term rebuild? Really never. That's because you can assemble a good team through drafting and free agency and trades within a year or two.

As it stands now, Zadorov and Ristolainen have the potential to be amazing defensemen, and our D potentially can be solid. As well as Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, etc being in the AHL, nobody can even come close to predicting whether or not we'll be good or not.

Hate to break it to you, bu Grigorenko either is on the NHL roster next year, or he is back with his Junior team. He will not be 20 years old in time for the cutoff date in September or December.

But I still see the kid making the NHL roster next year and having a good year. He knows what it will take now to stay and play well.

Armia could also make the roster since he would have the most professional experience left. He already put up good numbers in his league. I could see him making the team out of training camp and having a solid year. He did have the second highest number of points during the World Juniors, second only to RNH.

Rud wrote:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:03 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
That's because you can assemble a good team through drafting and free agency and trades within a year or two.

Yeah, that worked out GREAT for the Sabres.... :laughing-rolling:

Potential potential potential... Potential is great but that means nothing until they prove themselves. I fully expect Grigorenko, Armia, Girgensons, and Ristolainen all get starting positions on the team next season. Does that mean they will be great players, not by a long shot. They have several years before we seen any true potential out of any one of them. Hell, Myers fucking suck and he was expected to be an "elite" defensman.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 pm 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
That's because you can assemble a good team through drafting and free agency and trades within a year or two.

Potential potential potential... Potential is great but that means nothing until they prove themselves. I fully expect Grigorenko, Armia, Girgensons, and Ristolainen all get starting positions on the team next season. Does that mean they will be great players, not by a long shot. They have several years before we seen any true potential out of any one of them. Hell, Myers fucking suck and he was expected to be an "elite" defensman.

Because you fucking know how our prospects will do, right? And it hasn't even been two years. It's been a draft and three days of free agency. Fuck dude.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:32 pm 
Captain Dynasty

why the hell should they give girgensons starting minutes when, as an 18 year old in the AHL, he was given 4th line minutes to bring him along slowly? let the kid develop, shit.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 pm 
Hart Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
why the hell should they give girgensons starting minutes when, as an 18 year old in the AHL, he was given 4th line minutes to bring him along slowly? let the kid develop, shit.

Yeah, he needs time to develop. But Armia and Grigorenko could be ready to go.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:31 pm 
Cup Winner

BlueandYellow wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Yeah, he needs time to develop. But Armia and Grigorenko could be ready to go.

We all know Grigorenko is with the Sabres next year. No doubt about that.

And you can easily have a team be 15th in the East and end up in the playoffs the next year. And they only added their drafted players.

If these rookies are hungry enough, and we don't end up trading Miller we could easily be a 7th or 6th seed. Miller automatically makes up a possible playoff team.

Rud wrote:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:02 am 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Because you fucking know how our prospects will do, right? And it hasn't even been two years. It's been a draft and three days of free agency. Fuck dude.

NO ONE DOES!!!!! You don't, I don't, THE SABRES DON'T!!! The prospects don't even know how they will do. So everyone who said grigorenko will be GREAT, doesn't know IF he will be great. it will be several years before we can tell if he is worth all this. As I said, Myers was suppose to be an elite defenseman and he hasn't done shit since his rookie year. If you talk to anyone (outside of Buffalo) would say he's a bust right now. I'm not saying things won't change with him but I don't see it. Especially if he needs his hands held by Tallinder.

They Sabres have tried for several years to build a Stanley Cup team by the draft, free agency, and trades. How has that worked out for them???? As of right now, if you don't get a top four draft pick then you most likely will not win a Stanley Cup. Yes, there is a very few exceptions but those are few and far between.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

NO ONE DOES!!!!! You don't, I don't, THE SABRES DON'T!!! The prospects don't even know how they will do. So everyone who said grigorenko will be GREAT, doesn't know IF he will be great. it will be several years before we can tell if he is worth all this. As I said, Myers was suppose to be an elite defenseman and he hasn't done shit since his rookie year. If you talk to anyone (outside of Buffalo) would say he's a bust right now. I'm not saying things won't change with him but I don't see it. Especially if he needs his hands held by Tallinder.

They Sabres have tried for several years to build a Stanley Cup team by the draft, free agency, and trades. How has that worked out for them???? As of right now, if you don't get a top four draft pick then you most likely will not win a Stanley Cup. Yes, there is a very few exceptions but those are few and far between.

It nearly worked out for them from 2005-2007, so don't say it doesn't work, when that's the exact thing that put together those teams.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:37 am 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

You're very wrong about Myers, if you ask other teams if they would want him, they would say yes in a heartbeat. During the trade deadline everyone was wanting Myers from us, even on draft day they were saying they'd love to have Myers.

Rud wrote:

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 am 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

It hasn't worked? Well, considering we haven't had a top pick in A LOOONG TIME, and considering we almost won in 99, 2005-2006, and 2006-2007, it can be done. But when was the last time we had this much talent? We just drafted in the top 10 (8th) then with a 16th pick in an incredibly deep draft (ask anyone, Zadorov was projected to be better than Nurse at points). We also drafted Grigorenko last year, who was projected to be one of the top 5 before an injury. Then you count Armia, Girgensons, and the trade for Larsson. With Makarov, Ullstrom, Ristolainen, Zadorov, that's a supreme amount of prime prospects. When was the last time we had this? Not in a long time, if ever. Give this a chance...

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 am 
PP Quarterback

I am not too worried about Myers. I think having Hank and another year under his belt will work wonders for him. You could tell he was getting pissed at his own play. I think he hits the weight room hard this year and trains harder then he has before.
Defensemen take a very long time to develop. Soupy didn't
turn into what he was in 2-3 years. I believe his 4th or 5th was the turning point. I could be wrong about the timeline on him...it has been
awhile. Btw I miss soupy.

Also, you are forgetting Pommers is a free agent after this year. Let's just say we have a stout blueline with more in the wings. Also, grigs pans out and some of these young guys start playing better. You insert pommers and you could be rolling 2 solid lines within the next year

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:01 am 
PP Quarterback

If you plug in names we aren't that many missing pieces from 3 solid lines. They could be had in house for all we know. We won't know until we try. Also, if we sure up the blueline and Miller plays vezina form that in and of itself could carry us to the 10th-6th place finishing area. Miller has and can carry a team. He just needs defense.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am 
PP Quarterback

What's the most likely line-up next season (if nothing happens in the summer)? Please correct me if I missed something.

Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford
Leino - Ennis - Foligno
Ott - Grigorenko - Flynn (Armia)
Scott - Porter - Kaleta

Myer - Tallinder
Ehrhoff - Weber
Mcbain - Pysyk (Ristolainen)

Not much scoring in the line-up.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 am 
PP Quarterback

I actually like those lines(like as in the best possible scenario for us as of this moment) you need protection for grigs(otter) and ennis(foligno). I am not giving up on the Leino experiment yet. Guy has a lot of hand eye skill. One more year and you can say I told you so. Patience with him at this point cannot be a bad thing. I, also, think foligno comes into his own and adapts an otter style of play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next