It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 am 
Captain Clutch

Well, I am finished. Time for me to vent some steam here. I can't stand this organization right now. How can Pegula and his advisers truly believe that Darcy will be able to guide this team through another rebuild. Why, because he did it once, ten years ago??? That team did well, for a short while, but could never finish the job. Yeah, in 2006 they lost the ECF due to injuries. How about the next season? They won the President Cup, impressive.... Still couldn't make the Cup finals for the second straight year. That time with a health roster. Then all hell broke loose.

The league has changed significantly since that time and he was not able to adjust. NOW he says he learned.... How come other GM's were able to quickly see the change in tides and adjust but it took Darcy 5+ years??? That concerns me considerably. On top of the knee jerk decisions that has cost this team time and money. He's had 16 years to make this team a champion and he hasn't. I would love to see if anyone has done research on the time span the average GM spends with one team.

I wholeheartedly believe that Darcy fired Lindy to save his own ass... I did think that Lindy needed to go but not in the middle of a shortened season like this. Darcy was taking a huge amount of heat from the fans, media, and (most likely) Pegula to do something. So he fired Lindy in hopes that would change fate.... Well it didn't. Now his grand plan is a rebuild because the players HE hired are not working out. So we should expect great things from Darcy? I doubt it.

For all Sabres fans, I hope to god I'm wrong but I just have that funny feeling I'm not. You know that pit in your stomach you get when things have just gone from bad to worse. Yeah, I have that feeling.

Not a Sermon, just a thought.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:17 am 
Superstar Goalie

So the same old question....If we miss the playoffs again is Darcy out?

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 am 
PP Quarterback

I am actually excited to see this team gutted and have the young guys come up. Can Luke Adam find a place in this organization? Armia is up next year and from the looks of it will be a significant factor in whether this team will be productive in the next 2-3 year. Can Grigs become the stud we all know he can be? My answer is yes and he will show spurts next season. I think McNabb becomes a force on the blueline next year. He had an off year this past year but he has shown the ability to be the type of badass that will hitstick mothers trying to come across our blueline. There are more but those are four I am interested in right now.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:19 am 
Captain Clutch

ksquier89 wrote:
I am actually excited to see this team gutted and have the young guys come up. Can Luke Adam find a place in this organization? Armia is up next year and from the looks of it will be a significant factor in whether this team will be productive in the next 2-3 year. Can Grigs become the stud we all know he can be? My answer is yes and he will show spurts next season. I think McNabb becomes a force on the blueline next year. He had an off year this past year but he has shown the ability to be the type of badass that will hitstick mothers trying to come across our blueline. There are more but those are four I am interested in right now.

That's great to speculate but what if another team wants Armia and/or Mcnabb and Darcy trades them for picks? People are all assuming its just our core that may be dished. We have prospects other teams want.

This article from TBN is ok but I do think the last paragraph about Darcy's draft history is very interesting:

Quote:
Darcy Regier admits the Sabres have made mistakes. Buffalo’s prior blueprints for Stanley Cup glory featured inaccurate outlines.

“We have tried some things,” Regier said Monday. “Some things have worked better than others. Some things have not worked very well.”

This time, the Sabres insist they have a winning plan. Once again, they will have Regier implement it.

Sabres President Ted Black confirmed Monday that Regier will remain as general manager next season, his 17th in Buffalo.

Regier is confident he’s the right man for the job despite a record that includes playoff absences for two straight years, four of six and seven of 11.

“I recognize that you can look at the performance of the team, and it doesn’t reflect it,” Regier said in First Niagara Center. “The reality of it is if I didn’t have the confidence that I in the general manager’s position, along with the people I work with, could accomplish building a Stanley Cup winner, I wouldn’t be here.

“I don’t take any of this for granted in any way. I’m extremely grateful.”

As Regier sat next to Black during a season-ending news conference that was high on drama but low on information, the GM said no decision has been made regarding a permanent coach. Ron Rolston has held the interim title since replacing Lindy Ruff in February.

“He and I will sit down over the next week, maybe couple of weeks, re-evaluate the season and have discussions about our relationship going forward,” Regier said. “I would add that I think he did a very good job under trying circumstances. But again, we’ll address that down the road.”

Regier also had no insight regarding the futures of Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek. The franchise cornerstones have strongly hinted they are ready to move on.

“It may involve both of them being here, it may involve one of them being here, it may involve none of them being here,” Regier said. “I can only tell you that obviously they are upper-echelon, top-level players and can certainly be a part of a Stanley Cup team. We don’t know what the marketplace is going to make available.”

A trade to watch for involves amnesty buyout candidates. Each team can get salary cap relief by buying out two players over the next two summers, and the Sabres may use owner Terry Pegula’s wealth on other teams’ unwanted players for a draft pick or prospect.

“You can acquire a player and buy him out if somebody wants to pay you enough to do that, some other currency other than the dollars,” Regier said. “Whether it happens or not, it’s one of the options.”

Regier’s definitive plan involves rebuilding through the draft, which mirrors Black’s recent comments. To get top draft picks the team will have to finish near the bottom of the NHL.

“If there was another alternative and if there is another alternative, we will do everything we can to find it,” Regier said. “Short of that alternative, then it may well require some patience, but the payout is what it’s about.

“We have gone with more determination in a very distinct direction, which is about the Stanley Cup. So I feel good about it. I love the opportunity. I understand what we’re talking about here. I understand our fan base, and I would like to think that people will give up some suffering in order to win a Stanley Cup. I’m willing to do it. I believe our fan base is willing to do it. We certainly don’t want to extend it for a long period of time. We want to make it as short as possible, and that’s the goal.”

The Sabres’ new vision for winning their first Cup came about as a collective effort, Regier said. Pegula helped form and endorse it.

“It may require some suffering,” Regier said. “… It’s a shift because generally in the National Hockey League, how you keep your job, how you keep fans happy is by getting in the playoffs, by playing a round. It’s not the happiest, it’s not the saddest, but it’s a level. It’s an acceptable level. It’s an acceptable standard around the league. It’s just not the standard here – and I recognize I’m saying that in light of two missed playoffs.”

Regier’s emphasis on the draft comes after failed attempts to contend through free agency and trades. The Sabres will select eighth after not winning the draft lottery Monday night — Colorado won it, bumping Florida to second. His draft history has been spotty – only 10 of the 22 first- and second-round picks between 2000 and 2009 have made NHL contributions – but Black feels the GM has the tools to finish the job.

“Our scouting staff has doubled or more than doubled since Terry took over the team,” Black said. “Now we have to be right.”

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Last edited by sabresindc on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 am 
PP Quarterback

Trading prospects is the exact opposite of what Regier and Co. want to do at this point in time. They want to build around guys like that. If Regier trades Vanek, he'll be expecting Armia to develop into a high-scoring player, because that's what he's recognized for.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 am 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Trading prospects is the exact opposite of what Regier and Co. want to do at this point in time. They want to build around guys like that. If Regier trades Vanek, he'll be expecting Armia to develop into a high-scoring player, because that's what he's recognized for.

Don't take anything for granted. He has basically said no one is safe.... Vets, prospects, etc

Also, I have no expectations for any prospects until they actually prove themselves in the NHL. Learned that after watching Myers implode.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 am 
PP Quarterback

I think Myers comes back and has a good
year

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am 
Captain Clutch

Hope he does, if not, he's making crazy money to be mediocre at best. He has done nothing to prove he deserves the money he's being paid. He had one GREAT season. For all we know that was an anomaly. I honestly don't think anyone will have a good season next season mainly because of our recent history and how Darcy is preparing the fans for painful transition. Obviously that can change, either way, depended on what Darcy does this off season. I don't have high hopes

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 pm 
Superstar Goalie

i think we all will be bitching about these fucktard shit bags exactly one year from today. Saw it in my magic crystal ball.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 pm 
PP Quarterback

Thank god you gave up the booze lol. We are talking sand in the butthole type
ass pounding. My liver is going to take a fucking beating.

Last edited by ksquier89 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:21 pm 
Captain Clutch

Displaced Fan wrote:
i think we all will be bitching about these fucktard shit bags exactly one year from today. Saw it in my magic crystal ball.

Hahaha and the year after that, and the year after than....and so on

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:48 pm 
Superstar Goalie

ksquier89 wrote:
Thank god you gave up the booze lol. We are talking sand in the butthole type
ass pounding. My liver is going to take a fucking beating.

:lol: Seriously. I mean, my uncle died and my marriage has been up and down but nothing has made me want a glass of Captain except Sabres hockey. These fucking assholes are acid chewing through the calm little bubble of zen sobriety I have wrapped around me. :lol:

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:19 pm 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
Hope he does, if not, he's making crazy money to be mediocre at best. He has done nothing to prove he deserves the money he's being paid. He had one GREAT season. For all we know that was an anomaly. I honestly don't think anyone will have a good season next season mainly because of our recent history and how Darcy is preparing the fans for painful transition. Obviously that can change, either way, depended on what Darcy does this off season. I don't have high hopes

Because no player has ever had a good or great season despite the team failing. :roll:

I think we all tend to forget Myers is playing the hardest position in hockey to master. His big frame can also be a hindrance because not many coaches understand that size. He skates fantastic, which keeps him in most plays and he really played well at the end of the season. He will also come back next season completely healthy, and plenty of game tape on his mistakes. And a new coach for him too.

The guy has all the potential in he world, and can easily become a dominate force. Not every D wins a Norris in their first few years in the league. It took years for Campbell to become the player he is today, it took Chara 5+ years to also.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 pm 
Hart Winner

You guys would've given Regier shit if he went into rebuild mode after Briere and Drury left. But he didn't, and we made the playoffs twice, and we've been a middle of the pack team. Because we didn't rebuild we were mediocre. Well since this year blew, and we have a good draft pick, if we can draft smart and made a trade or two we could easily become a force. I hope we find a way to trade up to get one of the big three, or some guys I like are Monahan and Shinkaruk. But either way, we need a forward or a defensmen. If we draft a good forward and trade/sign a D (or vice versa) we're in decent shape. Considering Grigs could play with Ennis and Leino, maybe.

Oh yeah, get rid of Stafford.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 pm 
PP Quarterback

I'm a huge fan of Max Domi.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:36 pm 
PP Quarterback

Drew Stafford looks like a retard trying to hump a dorknob on the ice. About as useful as a cock flavored lollipop

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm 
Hart Winner

ksquier89 wrote:
Drew Stafford looks like a retard trying to hump a dorknob on the ice. About as useful as a cock flavored lollipop

In all fairness, cock flavored lollipops can be pretty useful for jay prep.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
You guys would've given Regier shit if he went into rebuild mode after Briere and Drury left. But he didn't, and we made the playoffs twice, and we've been a middle of the pack team. Because we didn't rebuild we were mediocre. Well since this year blew, and we have a good draft pick, if we can draft smart and made a trade or two we could easily become a force. I hope we find a way to trade up to get one of the big three, or some guys I like are Monahan and Shinkaruk. But either way, we need a forward or a defensmen. If we draft a good forward and trade/sign a D (or vice versa) we're in decent shape. Considering Grigs could play with Ennis and Leino, maybe.

I like the potential for the Ennis, Grigs, Leino pairing. Who do we drop on the first line with Van and Coho. What we have to realize is that we are a few missing pieces on the first two lines and a remake on the bottom two from being solid. Vanek can produce, Coho can become an absolute stud. No ceiling too high for this kid. Ennis can produce at the winger at a very respectable pace in regards to points. Grigs ceiling, while not realized yet, is as high as anyone on this team. Leino can be a playmaker. I think he has a good year. If Stafford is willing to renogiate and wants to stay on the team let him. If he can produce some of what he has in the past he is fine on a third line role. If Luke Adam can get his fucking legs to move I would like him centering a third line with Gerbe and whoever else they decide to toss in. There are some pieces here. I would not nuke the young guys. If we are going for a rebuild axe Vanek and Miller for prospects and/or draft picks and let them work their way up with the young guys we already have. I think a 2 year time
frame is not out of the question so long as the right moves are made.

How was Girgenson this year?

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 pm 
Captain Clutch

Myers could also continue to decline.... To me he hasn't proven that he can hang with the big boys. I don't give a shit if he ever wins the Norris as long as he plays like a decent d-man.

People wanted Darcy fired over losing Drury/Briere so yeah we would have given him shit. The biggest reason why this team was the middle of the pack (which means your good enough to not be good enough) was Miller and Vanek. There were a few seasons that Miller literally stood on his head for this team to try and get into 8th.

i guess you're ok with the Sabres not making the playoffs 7 out of the last 11 seasons? Even Darcy said during the press conference "How you keep your job, how you keep your fans happy by getting into the playoffs." I would say 4 playoff's in 11 years is a horrible ratio....

Just fathoms me that some of you do not think he not responsible for the way this team is made up. He's the one that makes all of the personnel decisions.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm 
Hart Winner

ksquier89 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

I like the potential for the Ennis, Grigs, Leino pairing. Who do we drop on the first line with Van and Coho. What we have to realize is that we are a few missing pieces on the first two lines and a remake on the bottom two from being solid. Vanek can produce, Coho can become an absolute stud. No ceiling too high for this kid. Ennis can produce at the winger at a very respectable pace in regards to points. Grigs ceiling, while not realized yet, is as high as anyone on this team. Leino can be a playmaker. I think he has a good year. If Stafford is willing to renogiate and wants to stay on the team let him. If he can produce some of what he has in the past he is fine on a third line role. If Luke Adam can get his fucking legs to move I would like him centering a third line with Gerbe and whoever else they decide to toss in. There are some pieces here. I would not nuke the young guys. If we are going for a rebuild axe Vanek and Miller for prospects and/or draft picks and let them work their way up with the young guys we already have. I think a 2 year time
frame is not out of the question so long as the right moves are made.

How was Girgenson this year?

I really want us to trade up to get Drouin, so we could put him with Vanek and Hodgson. But that's where my mind is, get an impact player in the draft that will be ready within a year or two. If Armia and Grigorenko pan out... Scary.

Girgensons apparently had a low score count but won a team award for most improved player. He has a few years in the AHL.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next