It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:07 am 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
Myers could also continue to decline.... To me he hasn't proven that he can hang with the big boys. I don't give a shit if he ever wins the Norris as long as he plays like a decent d-man.

People wanted Darcy fired over losing Drury/Briere so yeah we would have given him shit. The biggest reason why this team was the middle of the pack (which means your good enough to not be good enough) was Miller and Vanek. There were a few seasons that Miller literally stood on his head for this team to try and get into 8th.

i guess you're ok with the Sabres not making the playoffs 7 out of the last 11 seasons? Even Darcy said during the press conference "How you keep your job, how you keep your fans happy by getting into the playoffs." I would say 4 playoff's in 11 years is a horrible ratio....

Just fathoms me that some of you do not think he not responsible for the way this team is made up. He's the one that makes all of the personnel decisions.

Did you forget he has only had two or three years to really actually spend to the cap? A year or two the league ran the team.

Myers could continue to decline, but I'm not willing to give up on a 23 year old defensemen yet either. Especially with his first year like it was and how I could see progress in his game until he got injured.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 am 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
You guys would've given Regier shit if he went into rebuild mode after Briere and Drury left. But he didn't, and we made the playoffs twice, and we've been a middle of the pack team. Because we didn't rebuild we were mediocre. Well since this year blew, and we have a good draft pick, if we can draft smart and made a trade or two we could easily become a force. I hope we find a way to trade up to get one of the big three, or some guys I like are Monahan and Shinkaruk. But either way, we need a forward or a defensmen. If we draft a good forward and trade/sign a D (or vice versa) we're in decent shape. Considering Grigs could play with Ennis and Leino, maybe.

Oh yeah, get rid of Stafford.

I like the potential for the Ennis, Grigs, Leino pairing. Who do we drop on the first line with Van and Coho. What we have to realize is that we are a few missing pieces on the first two lines and a remake on the bottom two from being solid. Vanek can produce, Coho can become an absolute stud. No ceiling too high for this kid. Ennis can produce at the winger at a very respectable pace in regards to points. Grigs ceiling, while not realized yet, is as high as anyone on this team. Leino can be a playmaker. I think he has a good year. If Stafford is willing to renogiate and wants to stay on the team let him. If he can produce some of what he has in the past he is fine on a third line role. If Luke Adam can get his fucking legs to move I would like him centering a third line with Gerbe and whoever else they decide to toss in. There are some pieces here. I would not nuke the young guys. If we are going for a rebuild axe Vanek and Miller for prospects and/or draft picks and let them work their way up with the young guys we already have. I think a 2 year time
frame is not out of the question so long as the right moves are made.

How was Girgenson this year?

I really want us to trade up to get Drouin, so we could put him with Vanek and Hodgson. But that's where my mind is, get an impact player in the draft that will be ready within a year or two. If Armia and Grigorenko pan out... Scary.

Girgensons apparently had a low score count but won a team award for most improved player. He has a few years in the AHL.

I've watched Girgensons. A lot. Whenever I go to Amerks games, I make sure to watch him whenever he's out there, and I'm excited. The kid is 18, but he skates harder than anyone, and he's not afraid to get dirty. His offensive skills need some work, but he has excellent coverage in the defensive zone. At worst, he's a 3rd line center in the NHL. At worst. That's extremely exciting to me.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 am 
Captain Clutch

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
Myers could also continue to decline.... To me he hasn't proven that he can hang with the big boys. I don't give a shit if he ever wins the Norris as long as he plays like a decent d-man.

People wanted Darcy fired over losing Drury/Briere so yeah we would have given him shit. The biggest reason why this team was the middle of the pack (which means your good enough to not be good enough) was Miller and Vanek. There were a few seasons that Miller literally stood on his head for this team to try and get into 8th.

i guess you're ok with the Sabres not making the playoffs 7 out of the last 11 seasons? Even Darcy said during the press conference "How you keep your job, how you keep your fans happy by getting into the playoffs." I would say 4 playoff's in 11 years is a horrible ratio....

Just fathoms me that some of you do not think he not responsible for the way this team is made up. He's the one that makes all of the personnel decisions.

Did you forget he has only had two or three years to really actually spend to the cap? A year or two the league ran the team.

Myers could continue to decline, but I'm not willing to give up on a 23 year old defensemen yet either. Especially with his first year like it was and how I could see progress in his game until he got injured.

Again, that then goes back to a bad decision on Darcy's part NOT TO rebuild through the draft during the Golisano years. Like I've said previously, that would have been the better time to do this "rebuild" than now. Now he has money to burn and he has literally burned it with the signings he done in the recent years. We have no choice but to wait and see what the immortal Darcy "hockey guru" has in his grand plan.

How long will you give him to build a team that wins the Stanley Cup....2 years? 4 years? 8 years? At what point enough is enough for you guys?

Seriously, does anyone know the average life span of a GM with a single team??? Especially when that team has never won a Stanely Cup under his regime?

As for Myers, he has an amazing first year but he has been quickly declining since. This year he was a complete train wreck from day 1. He had just about the same exact stats in Austria as he did here (the difference only 17 games played in Austria compared to 39 games here) and the Sabres are paying him 12 million this year!!! The kid needs to fix what is broke quick or he is a great candidate for a buyout if his next season is similar.... IMO.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 am 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

Again, that then goes back to a bad decision on Darcy's part NOT TO rebuild through the draft during the Golisano years. Like I've said previously, that would have been the better time to do this "rebuild" than now. Now he has money to burn and he has literally burned it with the signings he done in the recent years. We have no choice but to wait and see what the immortal Darcy "hockey guru" has in his grand plan.

How long will you give him to build a team that wins the Stanley Cup....2 years? 4 years? 8 years? At what point enough is enough for you guys?

Seriously, does anyone know the average life span of a GM with a single team??? Especially when that team has never won a Stanely Cup under his regime?

As for Myers, he has an amazing first year but he has been quickly declining since. This year he was a complete train wreck from day 1. He had just about the same exact stats in Austria as he did here (the difference only 17 games played in Austria compared to 39 games here) and the Sabres are paying him 12 million this year!!! The kid needs to fix what is broke quick or he is a great candidate for a buyout if his next season is similar.... IMO.

Would you have gone into immediate rebuild mode after two Eastern Conference Finals?

If your answer is yes, you're a liar.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 am 
Captain Clutch

That's true and I could see that. I still think he made a major mistake by focusing on dropping the payroll and consentrated on the draft. Instead, he dropped payroll and acquired mostly sub-par UFA's or trades that caused this team to be mediocre. Now that he has money to burn, he literally burned it with bad UFA/RFA signings. He did make good trades last season, with Hodgson and this season with Ott. Anyway, all we can do is wait, hope, and pray that it can be done. Darcy is now back tracking from his "suffering" comment. The PR department must have fucking flipped after he said that. Honestly, he said it several times then he truly expecting it to take quite sometime before this team is worthy.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Last edited by sabresindc on Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
That's true and I could see that. I still think he made a major mistake by focusing on dropping the payroll and consentrated on the draft. Instead, he dropped payroll and acquired mostly sub-par UFA's or trades that caused this team to be mediocre. Now that he has money to burn, he literally burned it with bad UFA/RFA signings. He did make good trades last season, with Hodgson and this season with Ott. Anyway, all we can do is wait, hope, and pray that it can be done. I think everyone who thinks it will take only 2 years is setting themselves up for disappointment becasue we need to acquire top 1/2/3 picks for the next couple drafts.....

Darcy is now back tracking from his "suffering" comment. The PR department must have fucking flipped after he said that. Honestly, he said it several times then he truly expecting it to take quite sometime before this team is worthy.

I don't know. This situation is all so complicated. I feel like with Darcy he's always been told "do it this way" or "do it that way." He's never had the ability to just roll with it himself. Under Golisano, it was "don't go all out for the top players, stay status quo." Under Pegula, it seems like it was more "Here's the money. Go use it." I think Darcy finally said they have to do it his way, or it will never work. I can respect that if that's what happened.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
That's true and I could see that. I still think he made a major mistake by focusing on dropping the payroll and consentrated on the draft. Instead, he dropped payroll and acquired mostly sub-par UFA's or trades that caused this team to be mediocre. Now that he has money to burn, he literally burned it with bad UFA/RFA signings. He did make good trades last season, with Hodgson and this season with Ott. Anyway, all we can do is wait, hope, and pray that it can be done. I think everyone who thinks it will take only 2 years is setting themselves up for disappointment becasue we need to acquire top 1/2/3 picks for the next couple drafts.....

Darcy is now back tracking from his "suffering" comment. The PR department must have fucking flipped after he said that. Honestly, he said it several times then he truly expecting it to take quite sometime before this team is worthy.

I don't know. This situation is all so complicated. I feel like with Darcy he's always been told "do it this way" or "do it that way." He's never had the ability to just roll with it himself. Under Golisano, it was "don't go all out for the top players, stay status quo." Under Pegula, it seems like it was more "Here's the money. Go use it." I think Darcy finally said they have to do it his way, or it will never work. I can respect that if that's what happened.

And he is correct by building a Stanley Cup winning team is by the draft. What he's not coming out directly and saying is, it takes the top four draft spots to be able to build a winning team. Since the 05 lockout all of the Stanley Cup teams have drafted in the top four spots, most have the top two spots (with the expection of Detroit). Unless he trades away some serious assets, the Sabres will not draft in the top four this draft. He stated today that they are working on moving up in the draft and I bet you he's trying his damnest to get in the top four. If he cannot draft that high, this team will most likely never win a Stanley Cup. If they do it's going to take much much longer to build up top assets

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Darcy did not "literally burn" the team's money. That would mean he put it in a big pile, covered it with gas, and threw a match.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:37 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Darcy did not "literally burn" the team's money. That would mean he put it in a big pile, covered it with gas, and threw a match.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

:D

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:53 pm 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

And he is correct by building a Stanley Cup winning team is by the draft. What he's not coming out directly and saying is, it takes the top four draft spots to be able to build a winning team. Since the 05 lockout all of the Stanley Cup teams have drafted in the top four spots, most have the top two spots (with the expection of Detroit). Unless he trades away some serious assets, the Sabres will not draft in the top four this draft. He stated today that they are working on moving up in the draft and I bet you he's trying his damnest to get in the top four. If he cannot draft that high, this team will most likely never win a Stanley Cup. If they do it's going to take much much longer to build up top assets

Chicago drafted Toews in the second round. You don't need a top four pick to win. It helps, certainly, but with this year's draft it's a real deep talent pool. If Darcy isn't able to move up in the draft (which is doable, we have two firsts, a bunch of seconds, two fifths, etc) I won't be worried. Because two picks could nab us something good.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:55 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

Chicago drafted Toews in the second round. You don't need a top four pick to win. It helps, certainly, but with this year's draft it's a real deep talent pool. If Darcy isn't able to move up in the draft (which is doable, we have two firsts, a bunch of seconds, two fifths, etc) I won't be worried. Because two picks could nab us something good.

Ummmm... Toews was drafted 3rd overall.

Duncan Keith, however, was a second round pick.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Ummmm... Toews was drafted 3rd overall.

Duncan Keith, however, was a second round pick.

Correct sir and Kane was also 1st over. Duncan also spent two years developing when Toews and Kane hit the NHL ice immediately.

B&Y research it please because I did. The only team that won the Cup, after the 2005 lockout, that did not have a top 4 pick was Detroit. I agree with you that it can be done but it would take a very long time. mainly because you have to do it by trades and then later with free agency. Remember, Darcy has been trying that route for a few years now with very little success, especially with free agency. You have to convince a top UFA/RFA that they are going to a team that WILL WIN. There is no way the Sabres would be able to convince their fan base, let along a top UFA/RFA, that they will win sooner than later.

This draft is deep and the Sabres will get a good prospect at 8th but immediately NHL ready, not likely. Most of those other picks won't see the NHL for, at least, two years (if ever).

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 pm 
Hart Winner

My bad, Toews wasn't drafted in the 2nd round.

But let's go with the obvious ones. Datsyuk and Zetterburg. Backes was in the 2nd round. Alfredsson? Lidstrom? Examples top picks=/= good players automatically. Come now, Edmonton has gotten the 1st overall many times and they still blow out loud. A high draft pick doesn't mean cup.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:50 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
My bad, Toews wasn't drafted in the 2nd round.

But let's go with the obvious ones. Datsyuk and Zetterburg. Backes was in the 2nd round. Alfredsson? Lidstrom? Examples top picks=/= good players automatically. Come now, Edmonton has gotten the 1st overall many times and they still blow out loud. A high draft pick doesn't mean cup.

The Oilers are one of the most gifted offensive teams. They never use their top picks on defense. Ever.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm 
Captain Clutch

He is right, the Oilers have absolutely no defense and not much on the goalie front also. Obviously getting the top few picks doesn't automatically make you a contender, true. The team needs to continue to add other pieces also. Look at the Capitals, they are a great team both offensively and defensively. their problem was, for years, they have young, immature goalies. Now that Holby and Neuvirth have a ton more experience they're getting to contender status quickly.

I'm not denying great players are out there but you have to be either damn lucky or a great scouting department that can see something others can't. That is a looooooooong shot if you're hoping for a diamond in the rough type star.

You have to accept reality, it will take several years to build this team properly. Even with the good prospects the Sabres have. Miller and Vanek most likely have a foot out the door. Not because the franchise sucks, not because the Sabres cant afford them, not because they hate the city or fans... Its none of that, they want to have a shot at winning, sooner than later. Unfortunately they, and Darcy, knows it may take longer then Miller and Vanek are willing to wait.

We will see, the Sabres may get lucky. :roll: :whistle:

Honestly, I'm starting to come to my senses and accept the fact that it will take time. I'm not as angry as I was yesterday but I still feel that Darcy can't put all the pieces together. Obviously we will have to see if he can do it, Pegula is all in. :pray:

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:08 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
He is right, the Oilers have absolutely no defense and not much on the goalie front also. Obviously getting the top few picks doesn't automatically make you a contender, true. The team needs to continue to add other pieces also. Look at the Capitals, they are a great team both offensively and defensively. their problem was, for years, they have young, immature goalies. Now that Holby and Neuvirth have a ton more experience they're getting to contender status quickly.

I'm not denying great players are out there but you have to be either damn lucky or a great scouting department that can see something others can't. That is a looooooooong shot if you're hoping for a diamond in the rough type star.

You have to accept reality, it will take several years to build this team properly. Even with the good prospects the Sabres have. Miller and Vanek most likely have a foot out the door. Not because the franchise sucks, not because the Sabres cant afford them, not because they hate the city or fans... Its none of that, they want to have a shot at winning, sooner than later. Unfortunately they, and Darcy, knows it may take longer then Miller and Vanek are willing to wait.

Honestly, I'm starting to come to my senses and accept the fact that it will take time. I'm not as angry as I was yesterday but I still feel that Darcy can't put all the pieces together. Obviously we will have to see if he can do it, Pegula is all in. :pray:

I would argue that Dubnyk is a solid goalie who has zero help on defense. Other than that, yes.

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:19 pm 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

I would argue that Dubnyk is a solid goalie who has zero help on defense. Other than that, yes.

yeah, true

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:52 pm 
Hart Winner

Well, what I SHOULD be arguing is not every 1st round pick is a diamond in the rough. Eberle was 22nd overall, for example. We're not really going for a long shot picking 8th is what I mean. Neither are we going for a long shot picking, what is it, 16th if Minnesota loses? It's just that trading up almost guarantees a good pick, though it will come at a price and may not happen.

I'm content with either move, trading up or staying pat. We're in a good draft position.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:58 pm 
Captain Clutch

Of course you can get a dud anywhere in the draft but 8th is good a good spot. Would of been better if the Sabres kept pace with losing (I think we would be 3rd). I just don't want people to think that whoever we draft will be the end all, be all. The journey is just beginning. I know the team won't tank purposely but a couple really bad season could do a team good...

Not a sermon, just a thought :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next