It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

ironyisadeadscene
 Post subject: 2013 draft talk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 pm 
Captain Dynasty

lets hear it. what do you want to do? who? trades? picks? WHAT?

BlueandYellow
 Post subject: Re: 2013 draft talk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 pm 
Hart Winner

Trade up if possible, preferably to get one of the big three. If not, draft either Shinkaruk or Monahan, or the best available skater at that point, then draft a goalie with Minnesota's pick. Use a few extra picks (our seconds and fifths) to get a player, then sign/trade for the remaining holes.

Easier said than done lol.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:31 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Miller and the 8th pick to Florida for pick #1, take Seth Jones, then draft a goalie later on.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:36 am 
PP Quarterback

If they don't move up, I love Max Domi or Sean Monahan. As for trading with Florida, they really like Markstrom, so I don't know if they're looking for goalie help. Tampa Bay, on the other hand... I don't know if they're in love with Bishop or Lindback. I could see them trading for a top-flight goalie. The only hitch I see in this: If Colorado doesn't take Seth Jones, and Jones drops to 3, Tampa won't trade. They need a top defensman.

@TJLuckman550

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am 
Franchise Defenseman

You're probably right about Florida's goalie situation. And I don't think there's any way that Jones falls to #3, he won't even fall to #2. I's deal with Florida or no Jones IMO.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:47 am 
PP Quarterback

To be honest, I don't want Jones. We need star-power here. Drouin/MacKinnon are the options, for me. If not, take the top talent available when you draft at 8. Philadelphia got Coutourier at 8.

@TJLuckman550

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Star-power? You don't need to be a forward to be a star. Chara, Pronger, Bourque, Brian Leetch... all those guys don't have star-power? I'm not sure that Jones is going to be as good as any of them, but there's also no guarantee the forwards will turn into even B-level stars themselves. And Buffalo's D is just God-awful. I can at least feel good that Hodgson and Ennis are young and look like they could hold down two of the top three center slots for the near future. The D...well, at least there's prospects there to look forward to, but Myers and Ehrhoff don't look like the two defensive cornerstones they did two seasons ago.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Star-power? You don't need to be a forward to be a star. Chara, Pronger, Bourque, Brian Leetch... all those guys don't have star-power? I'm not sure that Jones is going to be as good as any of them, but there's also no guarantee the forwards will turn into even B-level stars themselves. And Buffalo's D is just God-awful. I can at least feel good that Hodgson and Ennis are young and look like they could hold down two of the top three center slots for the near future. The D...well, at least there's prospects there to look forward to, but Myers and Ehrhoff don't look like the two defensive cornerstones they did two seasons ago.

I don't know. Lately it seems you draft forwards high in the draft, and they're stars. Other than Vanek, we lack that forward on this team. We desperately need more of a scoring punch. I still have faith that maybe Myers can turn his game around and be that defensman. I keep harping on that it takes most defensmen a while before they become elite players. Players like Drew Doughty are the exception, and even he's had some drop-off.

Another thing: Defensman more towards the top of the draft don't seem to pan out. It's the second rounders that seem to be your elite guys (Keith, Weber, etc.)

@TJLuckman550

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I'm pretty sure no team in the top 3 or 4 would trade their pick for Miller and pick 8 anyway, but really Jones is the only player that I would want at that high a price. Now if they could package pick 8 and pick 16 in order to move up into say pick 4 or 5 and get someone like Drouin or one of the European forwards, I'd like that. But I feel like the teams at the top of the draft wouldn't take picks 8 & 16 in return for their 1st pick.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm 
Hart Winner

Now that Pomminville is gone we really need offense. Getting a forward should be a top priority since Myers looked good the second half of last year (deja vu) and Ehrhoff was as usual pretty good. Sulzer was good until he got injured, and Ruhwedel and Pysyk were great considering they were call ups. Pardy and Weber were on and off, and Sekera can go fuck himself.

What I would love? Trading to 4th like Stuuu said and getting a Drouin or Barkov.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I just feel like a Miller trade is on the way before or at the draft, and I'd like Buffalo to really get value in return. That's my biggest worry/hope for this draft.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm 
Hart Winner

Not to mention, we could put said forward with Ennis on the 2nd line and finally, Ennis will have a good linemate.

As for Miller getting traded, seems like some team would jump on that like Tampa or Florida.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:51 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Now that Pomminville is gone we really need offense. Getting a forward should be a top priority since Myers looked good the second half of last year (deja vu) and Ehrhoff was as usual pretty good. Sulzer was good until he got injured, and Ruhwedel and Pysyk were great considering they were call ups. Pardy and Weber were on and off, and Sekera can go fuck himself.

What I would love? Trading to 4th like Stuuu said and getting a Drouin or Barkov.

Am I the only one that sees how good Sekera is?

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm 
Captain Clutch

I'm ok with Suckera, we still need his veteran. I also really like Sulzer and Pysyk too. Even Ruhwedel seems to be able to hold his own (unlike Myers), not like we can send him anywhere.... I am very leery of Myers, i really am. He really has to play damn good hockey come next season or it should be buy out time. No kid comes into 12 million dollar contract and play like he's in juniors. If I was Darcy, I would be fucking pissed off at his audacity to think he can play like that. Remember throughout the season the reporters would ask him about his horrendous play and he would say "I don't think I'm playing bad" Some needs to give him a reality check

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:03 pm 
Captain Dynasty

with the 16th pick, theres a goalie in the Q who is supposedly as athletic and fast as marc andre fleury, but can control himself, which, MAF can not.

zach fucale.

guess this kid is super fucking fast and agile. but also has great positioning and awareness.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:35 pm 
Hart Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
with the 16th pick, theres a goalie in the Q who is supposedly as athletic and fast as marc andre fleury, but can control himself, which, MAF can not.

zach fucale.

guess this kid is super fucking fast and agile. but also has great positioning and awareness.

That's another reason why I'd keep the two picks... Get Fucale, hopefully he'd still be available.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm 
Cup Winner

I may be the minority here, but I don't want defense in he first round. I'd rather take another scoring player. We won't be seeing the 8th pick in Buffalo next year with Grigorenko being a lock for the team and hopefully Armia being the other lock.

I may also get flamed for this, but Pysyk is the real deal for this team, he was so calm. Going in with Weber, Myers, Pysyk, Ehrhoff, Sekera, and the last to be named. I'd be up for resigning Sulzer for that spot. I know it doesn't exactly instill full confidence, but if Myers keeps up his good play from the end of the season, that group can be fine. They showed some good promise at the end of the year. And McNabb could also most likely fill a 7th spot or that 6th spot too. I'm obivously worried about offense here. After Vanek, Hodgson, and Ennis, we don't have much at all. Hodgson with Vanek is a must still, possibly put Grigorenko with Ennis or Hodgson.

Draft wise, I'd love if we could grab Drouin or McKinnon.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:05 pm 
Captain Clutch

I'm in for offense especially with the possibility of losing Vanek. I did like what I saw with those who came from Rochester. I don't know where you thing Grigs is a lock for the roster next season. Kid needs some more work and to lose the attitude he has.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
I'm in for offense especially with the possibility of losing Vanek. I did like what I saw with those who came from Rochester. I don't know where you thing Grigs is a lock for the roster next season. Kid needs some more work and to lose the attitude he has.

What attitude does he have?

Grigorenko is a sure lock for next year. If you really think him going back to the Q next year will all but help him, you are surely mistaken with him. That would stunt his development more than helping. He needs to play with the big boys. If you actually watched him playing you would have seen he has that knack of just being in the right place. Did it result in lots of points, no, but some great chances. He also was very solid on the defensive side.

Also playing with Hecht doesn't help, he still was the best person on those lines. He needs to be playing top 6 minutes with Ennis or Hodgson.

And unless we get someone great in FA, who else would you rather be on the team than him?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm 
Captain Clutch

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

What attitude does he have?

Grigorenko is a sure lock for next year. If you really think him going back to the Q next year will all but help him, you are surely mistaken with him. That would stunt his development more than helping. He needs to play with the big boys. If you actually watched him playing you would have seen he has that knack of just being in the right place. Did it result in lots of points, no, but some great chances. He also was very solid on the defensive side.

Also playing with Hecht doesn't help, he still was the best person on those lines. He needs to be playing top 6 minutes with Ennis or Hodgson.

And unless we get someone great in FA, who else would you rather be on the team than him?

I don't know who I'd want on the top line but not grigs. He still needs to develop more, he was rushed way to quickly. I know he'll be up with the Sabres next season but he's not going to at top line minutes. As for the attitude there has been some rumblings that he came in the locker room like a huge chip on his shoulder. Some who had watched a few of the last practices said no one talked to him or even stood by him. They saw him take draws against ott. Ott took two draws, won them and just turned and skated away from him without a word. Its also been confirmed that his locker was moved right next to Ott. Most the biggest guy to give him the most shit but also show him the ropes. This was confirmed by Sylvester and Andrew Peters on their show.