It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
BlueandYellow
 Post subject: Re: 2013 draft talk
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:02 pm 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:
You mean to tell me that Vanek and a first would not fetch a top 3?

Not in this draft, no way in hell. The top three prospects are considered NHL ready and are expected to be franchise type players. Tampa will pick up either MacKinnon or Drouin.... Either would be lethal with Stamko.... This is definitely bad for the Sabres.

IF any of the top three decide to trade it would cost the Sabres dearly. Something like, Vanek, Hodgson, first and second.... possibly a defensive prospect also.

If you honestly think we would need to trade Vanek, Hodgson, our first, our second, and a prospect to get one player that may or may not be a great player, you're high.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:43 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

Not in this draft, no way in hell. The top three prospects are considered NHL ready and are expected to be franchise type players. Tampa will pick up either MacKinnon or Drouin.... Either would be lethal with Stamko.... This is definitely bad for the Sabres.

IF any of the top three decide to trade it would cost the Sabres dearly. Something like, Vanek, Hodgson, first and second.... possibly a defensive prospect also.

If you honestly think we would need to trade Vanek, Hodgson, our first, our second, and a prospect to get one player that may or may not be a great player, you're high.

Well, to go that high in the draft, you'll need to part with a lot, but that seems way too high.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:04 pm 
Hart Winner

Yeah, we need to part with a lot. But two first/second line players, a prospect, and two picks? Nowhere near that high. Vanek + our 1st and second would do it.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:46 am 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Yeah, we need to part with a lot. But two first/second line players, a prospect, and two picks? Nowhere near that high. Vanek + our 1st and second would do it.

+1. vanek, first this year, first or second next year

ksquier89
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:47 am 
PP Quarterback

Vanek is fucking good

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:06 am 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

Maybe I went overboard a tad bit. What I was saying was, it would take a huge offer for any of the teams with the top 3 draft slots to give up that positioning. I know the Sabres wouldn't do it..... Vanek and a pick is NOTHING!!! Not for prospects that everyone is expect to make an immediate impact to the teams that draft them. That is what the top three players are expect to do. The top three teams will definitely demand more.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:01 am 
Hart Winner

Yes, but Vanek IS an immediate impact. And will be. Those top picks are assumed to be, but may not. Vanek and two picks (1st and second) will provide them with a top line forward, and two prospects, one of which has a decent chance of being good (our eighth). So yes, Vanek, a 1st, and a 2nd are perfectly viable for a top three pick.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:18 pm 
Captain Dynasty

listen, if you dont think the 8th pick + vanek would get a top 3 pick, i have to disagree. but there is no point in moving up for such a dramatic price. you can get a VERY solid player with the 8th pick. a potential franchise guy if you hit the jackpot. otherwise, you are still getting a likely star.

dont forget darcy has acquired a mass of second rounders. you could see a package of those to move up from the 16th spot, or with a vanek or miller to get a good first round pick or player. if the sabres are serious about a rebuild, and it appears they are, there are alot of moves to be made, possibly.

and as much as i love miller, i would be comfortable going with enroth/hackett next year if the need be and it bettered the club long term. but please, darcy. FUCALE!

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Hart Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
listen, if you dont think the 8th pick + vanek would get a top 3 pick, i have to disagree. but there is no point in moving up for such a dramatic price. you can get a VERY solid player with the 8th pick. a potential franchise guy if you hit the jackpot. otherwise, you are still getting a likely star.

dont forget darcy has acquired a mass of second rounders. you could see a package of those to move up from the 16th spot, or with a vanek or miller to get a good first round pick or player. if the sabres are serious about a rebuild, and it appears they are, there are alot of moves to be made, possibly.

and as much as i love miller, i would be comfortable going with enroth/hackett next year if the need be and it bettered the club long term. but please, darcy. FUCALE!

I'd definitely use our seconds and Minn's 1st to get up to get Fucale.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:22 pm 
PP Quarterback

Here's the thing with trading for a high pick. If you trade Vanek and the 8th for a top-3, Vanek only has maybe 5-6 years ahead of him. The player picked in the top 3 has the chance to be one of the best players in the league year-in and year-out. It would take a little bit more than Vanek and the 8th, I think.

@TJLuckman550

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:28 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Here's the thing with trading for a high pick. If you trade Vanek and the 8th for a top-3, Vanek only has maybe 5-6 years ahead of him. The player picked in the top 3 has the chance to be one of the best players in the league year-in and year-out. It would take a little bit more than Vanek and the 8th, I think.

thats where the 8th comes in. the 8th pick has a great potential to produce a star too. maybe not as great as the 3rd, but still a star to build with or around.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:04 pm 
PP Quarterback

Deep draft. 8th is solid. Said team is getting a 25-40 goal scorer and a top tier playerf for a franchise(hopefully player). It is a pretty even tradeoff. And the way Vanek plays he has more then 5-6 years left in him. He will deflect and snipe 20 goals a year for 6-8 more years

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:11 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Top 3 isn't a guarantee for a franchise player. It's a decent bet that the player will be a solidified player on your squad, but definitely not a league top player all the time.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Top 3 isn't a guarantee for a franchise player. It's a decent bet that the player will be a solidified player on your squad, but definitely not a league top player all the time.

The opportunity is too great for a team not to get a good haul back, though. That's all I'm saying.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:19 pm 
Hart Winner

Well trading our team for it makes little sense, too. Top 3 pick could be gotten from trading either Miller or Vanek, and two picks.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:25 pm 
Cup Winner

JVR isn't a league superstar, and he was the second overall pick after Patrick Kane.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:59 pm 
Captain Clutch

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
JVR isn't a league superstar, and he was the second overall pick after Patrick Kane.

True, there is duds and surprises everywhere. Who would of thought a goalie picked 138th would be a star....it does happen. We could not do anything, pick 8th had have the next superstar.... We could pick 3rd, and get a career AHL'er. Its all a crap shoot buuuuuuuut everyone wants to ignore the fact that 10 out of last 13 Stanley Cup winners had a top overall draft pick on their roster, some had more than one. If you don't have a top overall draft pick on your roster there is a damn good chance you will never win the Stanley Cup.

The biggest plus the Sabres have right now is that this draft is so deep. If it was a normal class, I wouldn't be all that excited about being 8th.

If the Sabres stay at 8th, what's the going thought. I know some have the Sabres picking Lindholm.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Better watch the Memorial Cup, all you folks talking about Fucale. He'll be in the net for Halifax.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:49 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Better watch the Memorial Cup, all you folks talking about Fucale. He'll be in the net for Halifax.

Is Xavier LaFlamme playing? ;)

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:58 pm 
Hart Winner

ksquier89 wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Is Xavier LaFlamme playing? ;)

Do you like hotdogs?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next