It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 am 
Captain Clutch

Sabres tweeted that Rolston has been named head coach..... I know, shocking!!!!

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:08 am 
PP Quarterback

Oops. Beat me by a few minutes. I had it open for a little bit, so I didn't notice.

I think this picture Yahoo used is hilarious. Caption this, anybody?

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 am 
Captain Clutch

The new Sabres logo

Attachments:
rolosabres.jpg
rolosabres.jpg [ 78.65 KiB | Viewed 6914 times ]

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 am 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Oops. Beat me by a few minutes. I had it open for a little bit, so I didn't notice.

"I got this job in the bag BITCHES!!!!"

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 am 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

"I got this job in the bag BITCHES!!!!"

Hodgson: "Oh, shit. He's going to make me back-check."

@TJLuckman550

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 am 
Captain Clutch

Man this interivew is such a suck job.

I foresee his brother being brought on as an assistant. Funny how he recently retired.....

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am 
PP Quarterback

Honestly, if the Sabres are in all-out rebuild mode, this move makes sense. No need to hire the big-name coach if he isn't going to take the team anywhere. If you're going to go down, might as well go down with a relative no-name.

@TJLuckman550

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Did anyone else catch the not so minor fact that Rolston was given a multi-year contract when he was named "Interim" coach?

This announcement was a foregone conclusion....we just didn't know it.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I want Ruff back

:)

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 pm 
PP Quarterback

Crosscheck wrote:
Did anyone else catch the not so minor fact that Rolston was given a multi-year contract when he was named "Interim" coach?

I don't get the whole "dicking around" thing the Sabres like to do. If he's going to be the coach, why not just say it?

@TJLuckman550

Montalo
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:21 pm 
PP Quarterback

If people are going to constantly bitch about him(not here per say, but in general), then Rochester will gladly take him back next year.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:04 pm 

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
I don't get the whole "dicking around" thing the Sabres like to do. If he's going to be the coach, why not just say it?

Yeah, they should have just piled this announcement on top of the shit sandwich that was the last press conference.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:37 pm 
Cup Winner

Crosscheck wrote:

Well that contract could have easily been for the Amerks position had they decided to not go with Rolo.

I'm fine with this move. With what he had been given, he did quite well last year.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

Well that contract could have easily been for the Amerks position had they decided to not go with Rolo.

I'm fine with this move. With what he had been given, he did quite well last year.

Yeah, now that I think about it, is there a rule where he would have had to have been signed to a separate contract when moving up from the AHL to the NHL?

@TJLuckman550

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:52 pm 

I doubt it...he was already under contract with the Sabres organization.
I really doubt the league regulates any staff related contracting.

So he had a contract for the Amerks, then he signed a new, multi-year, one to come up to the Sabres.

At least we know now, when Darcy said in the last press conference that no coaching decision had been made, he was flat out lying.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:06 pm 
Captain Clutch

Crosscheck wrote:

So he had a contract for the Amerks, then he signed a new, multi-year, one to come up to the Sabres.

At least we know now, when Darcy said in the last press conference that no coaching decision had been made, he was flat out lying.

I think what they're trying to say is that the contract is semantics. Being the coach of the Amerk makes him apart of the Sabres Organization by default. So technically that doesn't prove he was lying. Either they will be signing a completely new contract as head coach or amend the current contract with the new terms. Darcy not opening up the coaching interviews to anyone else proves that he had made the decision before the season ended.... THAT proves he's a liar. This just shows how inept his management skills are. If you have a job opening, even if you have a person in mind, you HAVE to do your due diligence and interview other candidates. just in case someone out there comes in and blows your socks off??? He didn't give anyone a chance.

Why is everyone bitching about this??? well because most don't see him as a true NHL coach, let alone a coach that could take a team to the playoffs. What bugs me is his statement that this team will be a playoff-caliber team next season :laughing-rolling: . That is complete and utter bullshit or he has absolutely no clue what it take to be in the playoffs.

On another note.... Rolston is great developing young talent, supposedly. The Sabres plan on relying heavily on the draft and filling the ranks of Rochester with young, underdeveloped, immature players. Wouldn't it be logical to have him return and develop this crop of future NHL "stars" (using that term very lightly)????? That is why I think this was an absolutely horrible decision. I want the players on the Sabres to be NHL fucking ready when they hit the ice at the FNC. Now we will have all this immature, underdeveloped talent in Sabres jerseys next season.... AND he said the team is playoff-calibre. What a fucking joke!!! The more I think about it, the more I get pissed off

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

I think what they're trying to say is that the contract is semantics. Being the coach of the Amerk makes him apart of the Sabres Organization by default. So technically that doesn't prove he was lying. Either they will be signing a completely new contract as head coach or amend the current contract with the new terms. Darcy not opening up the coaching interviews to anyone else proves that he had made the decision before the season ended.... THAT proves he's a liar. This just shows how inept his management skills are. If you have a job opening, even if you have a person in mind, you HAVE to do your due diligence and interview other candidates. just in case someone out there comes in and blows your socks off??? He didn't give anyone a chance.

Why is everyone bitching about this??? well because most don't see him as a true NHL coach, let alone a coach that could take a team to the playoffs. What bugs me is his statement that this team will be a playoff-caliber team next season :laughing-rolling: . That is complete and utter bullshit or he has absolutely no clue what it take to be in the playoffs.

On another note.... Rolston is great developing young talent, supposedly. The Sabres plan on relying heavily on the draft and filling the ranks of Rochester with young, underdeveloped, immature players. Wouldn't it be logical to have him return and develop this crop of future NHL "stars" (using that term very lightly)????? That is why I think this was an absolutely horrible decision. I want the players on the Sabres to be NHL fucking ready when they hit the ice at the FNC. Now we will have all this immature, underdeveloped talent in Sabres jerseys next season.... AND he said the team is playoff-calibre. What a fucking joke!!! The more I think about it, the more I get pissed off

6-10-1 under Lindy Ruff this year and 15-11-5 under Rolston. 35 points in 31 games. I know it's a tiny sample, but even at that clip, it turns out to be 92/93 points in a full 82 game season, or 54 points in from this season. Which is funny, but it's one point out of the playoffs.

Which would make them a fringe playoff team. This team is good enough to make the playoffs. A first round loss would be the most likely outcome from this group though.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:03 pm 

Hey, for all I know RR is an awesome coach and the perfect guy for this job (Hell, Steve Ott said that today, but of course he would say that).
I'm not anti-Ron, I'm just floored by the lack of process and professionalism.

Admitting you never even opened the position to outside candidates seems like a really really bad thing to say, much less do.
Since now we know the time and situation required for Darcy to fire a coach, I have a feeling we'll be seeing Ron for a very, very long time.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:12 pm 
Captain Clutch

You just basically said that in an 82 game season that they would be good enough to just be not good enough..... Like last season and the season before and the season before.... I really don't consider that "playoff-calibre."

We'll see what happens... I complete agree with XC about the way the decision was made. It's just very bad business practice to make such a huge decision without interviewing all qualified candidates.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:25 pm 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
You just basically said that in an 82 game season that they would be good enough to just be not good enough..... Like last season and the season before and the season before.... I really don't consider that "playoff-calibre."

We'll see what happens... I complete agree with XC about the way the decision was made. It's just very bad business practice to make such a huge decision without interviewing all qualified candidates.

And how do you know they didn't interview anyone? Just because it was reported doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Rud wrote: