It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:13 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

I'm going to go ahead and disagree that this team is actually stacked with talent left untapped by coaching.
I think we're way off in the talent department when compared to teams like the Pens or Chicago.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:56 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Absolutely correct, XC. Our players just aren't. that. good.

They proved that when they got a new coach.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:57 pm 
Captain Clutch

Awww, come on guys. This is the biggest sleeper team in the league..... Lol.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:06 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

sabresindc wrote:

maybe you're onto something...let's give them a couple years and BANG! They'll surprise everyone!

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 pm 
Penalty Killer

BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
[

It should be noted that in the games Leino played this season (8), he had six points. He was played with top-line players. No reason to believe he can't continue his minimal success when playing with the right players.

Yeah, Leino was good. Which is why getting a good player to play with him/Ennis (assuming they put him there) would be scary if he continues that play.

Wasn't Leino developing chemistry with Grigs in the preseason? And wasn't that line looking good?

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:11 am 
Captain Clutch

Crosscheck wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

maybe you're onto something...let's give them a couple years and BANG! They'll surprise everyone!

Attachments:
253692_det.jpg
253692_det.jpg [ 74.16 KiB | Viewed 5996 times ]

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:16 am 
PP Quarterback

Nuthatch wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
[

It should be noted that in the games Leino played this season (8), he had six points. He was played with top-line players. No reason to believe he can't continue his minimal success when playing with the right players.

Yeah, Leino was good. Which is why getting a good player to play with him/Ennis (assuming they put him there) would be scary if he continues that play.

Wasn't Leino developing chemistry with Grigs in the preseason? And wasn't that line looking good?

Seeing as there was no preseason...

The line was supposed to be Ott-Grigorenko-Leino, and that's what they were rolling in "training camp." Then Leino got injured and missed for a while. He looked good in minimal action this year.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:37 pm 
Cup Winner

Crosscheck wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and disagree that this team is actually stacked with talent left untapped by coaching.
I think we're way off in the talent department when compared to teams like the Pens or Chicago.

When you compare our team, or almost any other team to them you're always going to get that result.

Hey lets compare talent levels of the two very best teams in the league to a team not even in the playoffs. Yea, real logical.

Would you agree that the Islanders weren't a very talented team compared to the Pens, yet they showed everyone the Pens are a very vulnerable team.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:03 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

When you compare our team, or almost any other team to them you're always going to get that result.

Hey lets compare talent levels of the two very best teams in the league to a team not even in the playoffs. Yea, real logical.

Would you agree that the Islanders weren't a very talented team compared to the Pens, yet they showed everyone the Pens are a very vulnerable team.

The Islanders are different. They have a lot of young talent. Okposo, Nielsen, Tavares, Hamonic, Grabner are all guys who have great talent. They're just really young players. The Islanders are a lot better than an 8 seed in an 82-game season.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 pm 
Hart Winner

Well, Ennis, Vanek, and Hodgson are talented. So was Pomminville when he was here. Stafford COULD be talented if he wasn't a lazy fuck. Leino COULD be talented, but injuries and a bit of the Stafford he's got going on there.

Idk. I find Ennis, Vanek, and Hodgson to be a solid three we need to build behind. If we can get a good player from this draft, whether it be a 2nd line or a 1st liner, it could make the signing and trading a lot easier.

Which, with four picks in the first two rounds, isn't that hard.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:51 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Well, Ennis, Vanek, and Hodgson are talented. So was Pomminville when he was here. Stafford COULD be talented if he wasn't a lazy fuck. Leino COULD be talented, but injuries and a bit of the Stafford he's got going on there.

Idk. I find Ennis, Vanek, and Hodgson to be a solid three we need to build behind. If we can get a good player from this draft, whether it be a 2nd line or a 1st liner, it could make the signing and trading a lot easier.

Which, with four picks in the first two rounds, isn't that hard.

Honestly, I don't see Hodgson and Ennis as integral pieces. They're good players, I just don't think they're franchise cornerstones. Playing with Vanek helped Hodgson a lot. His play noticeably dropped off after being taken off Vanek's line. I think he's a good player, but that's about it.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:04 am 
Cup Winner

Hodgson was also in his second full NHL season. He may not be a cornerstone now, but I'm sure he will be.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 am 
PP Quarterback

We'll see. I'm not his biggest fan.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:45 pm 
Hart Winner

Ennis is a cornerstone piece, at this point. He plays on the second line with nobody of actual value, and still racks up 31 points this season (53 points in 82 game schedule). 53 points playing with Foligno (who only had 18 points this year) and Stafford (18 points but can't hit/fight like Foligno) as his best players is pretty good. Put him with Leino, and somebody decent we may pick up, I see a 60-70 point season from the guy.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:00 pm 
PP Quarterback

Half of those points (14) came on the powerplay. Also, the second half of the season, he played mostly with Vanek, so I can think you can attribute most of his point totals to playing on a power-play and as a winger on a line with Vanek.

The way I see it, if they're going to continue to move Ennis to the wing, he's useless. He's utterly useless if he's not a center on this roster. We're so deep at center that I feel he's more expendable at center. We need more two-way centers, and Ennis doesn't fit that mold in the slightest.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 pm 
Hart Winner

27 of Ovechkin's points came on the powerplay. It makes no difference, in fact our PP is so bad it makes him even more valuable.

But btw, he didn't mostly play with Vanek at the second half of the year, if he did his and Vanek's +/- would be sort of similar, but they're not.

Face it dude, Ennis is the second best player on this team, get him a legit linemate and he does well.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
27 of Ovechkin's points came on the powerplay. It makes no difference, in fact our PP is so bad it makes him even more valuable.

But btw, he didn't mostly play with Vanek at the second half of the year, if he did his and Vanek's +/- would be sort of similar, but they're not.

Face it dude, Ennis is the second best player on this team, get him a legit linemate and he does well.

The problem with Ennis and Hodgson is that they completely blow when it comes to defense. Hell, they are a liability when they are in their own zone. They WON'T BE the best players on the ice until they realize that they need to play defense well and not cough up the puck as much as they do. I guess I can chalk that up to youth but I know of players around their age that are better two-way players

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:06 pm 
Hart Winner

Hodgson I agree with. Ennis is hit and miss. I see him hit (oddly enough) and backcheck sometimes.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Hodgson I agree with. Ennis is hit and miss. I see him hit (oddly enough) and backcheck sometimes.

I agree with this. Ennis at least backchecks. He's always skating, always working. I guess, if anything, I can't take that away from Ennis.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:05 pm 
Hart Winner

We agree? No way! ;) :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next