All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

icehound
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:29 pm 
Star Sniper

Courtesy of TSN.ca:

SABRES LOOK TO BE REWARDED THIS SEASON

"A somewhat quiet off-season in the Queen City, but sometimes that can be a good thing. For the first time in recent memory the Sabres did not head into the summer worried about a star walking away from the team in free agency leaving the Sabres empty handed. Although Maxim Afinogenov will be taking his ball and likely going home, few tears will be shed in Sabre-land for the Russian's uneven play.

The team acquired some additional grit for its defensive unit by picking up Steve Montador in free agency. The took a chance bringing Joe DiPenta back to the NHL on a one-year deal while securing the services of Cody McCormick and bringing back Mike Grier. Jaroslav Spacek joined the Montreal Canadiens while classy veteran Teppo Numminen closed the curtains on a solid 20 year career."

....Nothing new, here. Pressure's on Miller to perform...blah blah blah....Connolly needs to stay healthy...more blah blah...Vanek keeping up a scoring clip..

Don't know why I'm even posting this, other than we fans being so starved for news, and itching for puck drop. Missing the playoffs sucks - No Buffalo Hockey for FIVE fucking months...bastards. Don't you dare miss them again.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:32 pm 
MegaDouche

grit does not equal wins. grit just scares the shit out of the other team so your better guys have the room to perform. which is EXACTLY what this team need.

icehound
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 pm 
Star Sniper

Pounding other teams relentlessly does generate turnovers and give your scorers more time and space to operate effectively. Yes.

dontbethatguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 pm 
Brawler

Looking forward to this season. It has been hell watching the past 2 knowing that unless we were up by 2 going into the third we weren't going to try. Mike G you better smash some skulls in that locker room.

TRBirdman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:57 pm 
Brawler

icehound wrote:
Pounding other teams relentlessly does generate turnovers and give your scorers more time and space to operate effectively. Yes.

Agreed. Scaring the bejeebies out of the opponent, making them back off the puck in corners, and back up in general, is huge.

I just hope we always have someone that can score. If I remember correctly, it was those years with Dom, when we were begging for someone to score, anyone, always having a sharpshooter on the XMAS list . . . that was incredibly frustrating. Those memories still make me cringe.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:58 am 
Power Forward

To be honest I am looking forward to this season. It will be interesting to see how much the grit level will change, and to see how much the new grit will change how Vanek and Roy and Pommers play... Im hoping that the grit will give them more opportunities to score and such. Should be a good season. Hopefully we can compete. I miss those days of winning all the time... lol im sure everyone does...