It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

ksquier89
 Post subject: Re: Hodgson
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:39 am 
PP Quarterback

We have a lot of money coming off the books in the next 2 years so a two year contract for 2-3.5 mill is perfect. And I hope he plays his way to earning a decent paycheck and long term contract. Kid is good already and most players don't really take off an become a force until they are in their 3rd year. At least that is how i normally see things go. Hopefully this is it.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 am 
Captain Clutch

Cody has potential, offensively. He is a massive defensive liability which is a significant problem. Unfotunately I don't see him fixing that. I'm almsot leaning towards letting him go while the getting is good.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 am 
PP Quarterback

Cody works for us. You are entitled to your opinions but i think he improves slightly defensively this year. That is my eteral optimist working there but it's hard to believe someone as young as Cody is is unable to improve aspects of his game. He is young and the determination seems to be there. I hope he pans out to the a studly second liner with grigs ahead of him and girgs snapping necks on the third line.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:54 am 
PP Quarterback

Here's a fantastic article by Matthew Coller on Hodgson. Always love reading his stuff.

http://www.wgr550.com/What-Should-the-S ... -/17263968

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:25 am 
Cup Winner

It is fantastic, but the writer does fail to include the time Hodgson has spent in the league compared to the players he mentioned at age 23.

Hodgson did not come into the league at 18, he came into the league at 21. And his skating last year compared to the previous year was much improved. Obviously not the best, but vastly improved, and he seems to have the drive to continue to get better.

I'm not saying Hodgson is going to be the best 2 way player in the league, but not every number 1 center is the best Defensive forward on their team. Hodgson only needs to become competent defensively, he does not need to be Toews, Bergeron or Datsyuk on D. If his skating improves as much as it did last year, his problems keeping up with the play on the backcheck will be a non-issue.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 am 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
It is fantastic, but the writer does fail to include the time Hodgson has spent in the league compared to the players he mentioned at age 23.

Hodgson did not come into the league at 18, he came into the league at 21. And his skating last year compared to the previous year was much improved. Obviously not the best, but vastly improved, and he seems to have the drive to continue to get better.

I'm not saying Hodgson is going to be the best 2 way player in the league, but not every number 1 center is the best Defensive forward on their team. Hodgson only needs to become competent defensively, he does not need to be Toews, Bergeron or Datsyuk on D. If his skating improves as much as it did last year, his problems keeping up with the play on the backcheck will be a non-issue.

Commenting on the statement in bold: I think his point was the best teams have this build of #1 center. The Bruins have Bergeron, the Blackhawks have Toews, the Kings have Kopitar (who is still a secret because he's in LA... a damn shame), the Red Wings have Datsyuk. All these guys have Stanley Cups. It's a more common theme than any other Stanley Cup winner over the last 7-8 years, probably more if I really thought about it.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:30 pm 
PP Quarterback

We don't need him to be that guy. We are hoping grigs can fill that role. He only has to be a complimentary piece if all goes as planned

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:30 pm 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:
We don't need him to be that guy. We are hoping grigs can fill that role. He only has to be a complimentary piece if all goes as planned

Could have fooled me. Seems like since Hodgson's been here, people have wanted him to be the guy.

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm 
PP Quarterback

He could be that guy. But we don't need him to be. Grigs has the mold of "that guy". Coho is Roy Lite at this juncture.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm 
Hart Winner

Grigs needs to be handled/trained properly before even being considered "that guy". I felt so bad for him getting benched half of the games and having a year burned off his contract, when he could've continued ripping ass in the Juniors.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:32 pm 
PP Quarterback

I am just saying he has the build and skillset to fill the role. And who is to say if that at all stunted his growth. He went back to juniors and tore ass so I don't think it stunted his growth at all. Playing with the big boys for awhile could have given him some insight as to what to do to get himself NHL starter ready. Time will tell though

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm 
Cup Winner

ksquier89 wrote:
I am just saying he has the build and skillset to fill the role. And who is to say if that at all stunted his growth. He went back to juniors and tore ass so I don't think it stunted his growth at all. Playing with the big boys for awhile could have given him some insight as to what to do to get himself NHL starter ready. Time will tell though

And it has, Grigs has even said it, go to the Sabres blueprint on him and his little interview.

He knows what he needs to do, and it's the reason he stay in Buffalo to train with other teammates this year. He knows what work he needs to do.

He's aiming for the Calder Trophy this year, straight from his mouth.

And with CoHo, he has the talent to the a number one center. But if Grigs takes that role, him and Coho are one hell of a 1-2 punch. Then add in Girg on the third line, or you could easily bump Girgs to second line and Coho to a top winger.

Imagine that, Coho, Grigerenko, and Armia on a line together. This is all assuming Vanek isn't here in a couple years.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:08 pm 
Captain Clutch

After reading that article, I am convinced that he's a major defensive liability. He has some time to improve but he needs to humble himself and accept a 2 year bridge. If he's demanding a big payday then he doesn't recognize that he has major problems that need to be addressed.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:31 pm 
Hart Winner

I'm sure Hodgson's defense will improve with time.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:

Couldn't get much worse lol

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:02 pm 
Captain Clutch

ksquier89 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Couldn't get much worse lol

:laughing-rolling:

Other than actually shooting the puck into his own net, he is at rock bottom defensively.....