Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

sabresindc
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am 
Captain Clutch

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:
That's one thing that gets to me about this contract. If he thinks he is worth that much now why sign for 6 years where you would theoretically be worth more
and be in the prime of your career during the last 2-3 years. He will be getting the same if not less after this contract is over. If I were him play the 2-3 at this per year value and hope I rake a 4-6 year deal worth more after the bridge contract. Who knows. Maybe he is cash strapped, maybe he genuinely wants to stay in buffalo, maybe he knows what his long term ceiling is. This contract just seems odd given his years played, especially with one being a lockout season

Yeah, we'll never know what motivated him to sign this contract. Like Vanek-fanatic said, I was hoping Darcy wouldn't buck the system and stick to his guns with a bridge. Of course he couldn't, thats just not Darcy. Now we're stuck with Hodgson for the next six years. He has absolutely no reason now to fix his game until the last year of the contract. That's five years of him letting the opposing team score at will while he's on the ice.

I don't think it's that drastic. My thing about defense is that it's very rare for a player to develop the defensive side of his game after a certain point. Most players are good two-way players from the get-go. Toews, Bergeron, Pominville, even Tim freaking Connolly come to mind. Tim Connolly was a phenomenal defensive center. Watching Zemgus Girgensons play in Rochester, he definitely has that part of his game taken care of. I've never seen that out of Hodgson. The only player I can think who fixed that part of his game later on in his career is Ilya Kovalchuk. The Devils turned him in to a phenomenal defensive player out of no where after years of tolling about in Atlanta. Maybe it was the situation and he didn't care as much, but I've never seen someone commit and be good at defense as quickly as Kovalchuk did.

Out of 34 goals he was on the ice for, 24 he was a major contributing factor. I would say that's pretty damn good odds for the opposing teams..... Anyway, if he does change his game and becomes a force to recon with then Darcy will look like a genius. Hopefully Teppo can kick him in the ass defensively.... I'm definitely not looking for an immediate turnaround, it will take a looooong time.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:21 pm 
Cup Winner

Basically that article said exactly what he needs to do, and I've been saying this all along in this thread. If his skating improves as drastically as it did last year, most of his lackluster backchecks won't happen anymore. That is the worst part of his game right now. You become a better skater you immediately get better in the aspects of the game.

He made huge noticeable strides last year with only one year working with Gary Roberts, it should be just as noticeable after another year I hope.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Basically that article said exactly what he needs to do, and I've been saying this all along in this thread. If his skating improves as drastically as it did last year, most of his lackluster backchecks won't happen anymore. That is the worst part of his game right now. You become a better skater you immediately get better in the aspects of the game.

He made huge noticeable strides last year with only one year working with Gary Roberts, it should be just as noticeable after another year I hope.

I see what you did there.

@TJLuckman550

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

No reason to hate the term or length. The cap will be $80M in 3 years. If he performs, it's a steal. If he doesn't, it wouldn't be hard to move him with that cap hit.

Good deal. Little downside.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:09 pm 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:
That's one thing that gets to me about this contract. If he thinks he is worth that much now why sign for 6 years where you would theoretically be worth more
and be in the prime of your career during the last 2-3 years. He will be getting the same if not less after this contract is over. If I were him play the 2-3 at this per year value and hope I rake a 4-6 year deal worth more after the bridge contract. Who knows. Maybe he is cash strapped, maybe he genuinely wants to stay in buffalo, maybe he knows what his long term ceiling is. This contract just seems odd given his years played, especially with one being a lockout season

Yeah, we'll never know what motivated him to sign this contract. Like Vanek-fanatic said, I was hoping Darcy wouldn't buck the system and stick to his guns with a bridge. Of course he couldn't, thats just not Darcy. Now we're stuck with Hodgson for the next six years. He has absolutely no reason now to fix his game until the last year of the contract. That's five years of him letting the opposing team score at will while he's on the ice.

I don't think it's that drastic. My thing about defense is that it's very rare for a player to develop the defensive side of his game after a certain point. Most players are good two-way players from the get-go. Toews, Bergeron, Pominville, even Tim freaking Connolly come to mind. Tim Connolly was a phenomenal defensive center. Watching Zemgus Girgensons play in Rochester, he definitely has that part of his game taken care of. I've never seen that out of Hodgson. The only player I can think who fixed that part of his game later on in his career is Ilya Kovalchuk. The Devils turned him in to a phenomenal defensive player out of no where after years of tolling about in Atlanta. Maybe it was the situation and he didn't care as much, but I've never seen someone commit and be good at defense as quickly as Kovalchuk did.

Out of 34 goals he was on the ice for, 24 he was a major contributing factor. I would say that's pretty damn good odds for the opposing teams..... Anyway, if he does change his game and becomes a force to recon with then Darcy will look like a genius. Hopefully Teppo can kick him in the ass defensively.... I'm definitely not looking for an immediate turnaround, it will take a looooong time.

CoHo was only a minus four. Considering he was also on the 1st line, it comes as no surprise he's on the ice for most of the goals.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm 
Captain Clutch

He wasbt "just on the ice" he was a major contributing factor on majority of them. I hope the kid turns out to be a star. I'm not jumping on his band wagon for sometime...that's for sure. The Sabres have had a lot of players become complacent and lazy until their last year of their contract. We'll see how comfortable he gets.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:43 pm 
Hart Winner

"he was a major contributing factor"
Somehow I don't think you have every single highlight. But mmk.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:57 pm 
Cup Winner

BlueandYellow wrote:
"he was a major contributing factor"
Somehow I don't think you have every single highlight. But mmk.

WGR550 actually has a list of every Sabres goal and a remark next to it if he was on the ice and his contribution to it.

It's interesting. I wish it had video for every goal so we could see if he was truly at fault, because it's still at the judgment of the writer.
http://www.wgr550.com/Hodgson-Goal-Spreadsheet/17263939

Like the one were it was accidentally tipped by Hodgson past Miller, well it may have been Cody's fault but things like that happen. D-men have that happen all the time but it's not like they purposely did it.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:40 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

That is a complete joke. "Poor back check, but little to do with why goal scored." Really?

Does the writer understand the defensive assignments on each and every play? What is the criteria for assigning 'blame'? A play that the writer says CoHo doesn't factor into, yet assigns a 'low' level of blame?

This is absolute shit. Trash. Unobjective, unintellectual analysis by people who know fuck all about the game.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:36 pm 
Cup Winner

Squanto wrote:
That is a complete joke. "Poor back check, but little to do with why goal scored." Really?

Does the writer understand the defensive assignments on each and every play? What is the criteria for assigning 'blame'? A play that the writer says CoHo doesn't factor into, yet assigns a 'low' level of blame?

This is absolute shit. Trash. Unobjective, unintellectual analysis by people who know fuck all about the game.

Yea, reason I wish it had video with it on that list.

Rud wrote:

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:55 pm 
Penalty Killer

Unobjective, unintellectual analysis by people who know fuck all about the game.

Wait, are we talking about Hodgson's contract, or Buffalo sports writers?? :confusion-confused:

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm 
Cup Winner

The WGR writers on that chart about how goals that were scored when Hodgson was on the ice were his fault.

Rud wrote:

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:52 am 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:

I'm probably biased when it comes to this, but Matt watches a ton of hockey, studies a lot from watching the game, and is thorough in how he looks at Corsi (I know, not the biggest part of the game, but Matt puts a lot of it in context.)

@TJLuckman550

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:14 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I love this deal...and I really don't know why everyone claims Hodgson is a defensive liability.

He's a young kid, but he was only a -4 last season, compared to Ennis being -14, and Stafford being -16...I'd say we need to upgrade from those two way before we discuss running Hodgson out of town for his defensive play...

I'll hang up and listen.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:44 am 
PP Quarterback

jvaccaro6 wrote:
I love this deal...and I really don't know why everyone claims Hodgson is a defensive liability.

He's a young kid, but he was only a -4 last season, compared to Ennis being -14, and Stafford being -16...I'd say we need to upgrade from those two way before we discuss running Hodgson out of town for his defensive play...

I'll hang up and listen.

I mean the whole team was a defensive tire-fire, to be fair

@TJLuckman550