It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Next captain of the Sabres; who would you pick?
Vanek 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
Ott 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
Ehrhoff 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hodgson 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16
AudSabres
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 am 
Superstar Goalie

So, Rolston is going to be shedding some light on who wears the C this season and there are a few players to pick from. Who is your pick (and if you want to state why, that's cool) and also, who do you think will be getting the A's?

Go!

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am 
PP Quarterback

I am torn between otter and The Hoff. Ultimately went with Ott because I think he is more of a guy people can lean on when it comes to carrying yourself as a professional and the fact that he would throw himself under a bus if it meant keeping other players in the team safe. He skates his nuts off. The guy deserves it

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 am 
PP Quarterback

The A's Hoff and Vanek. With all this youth I think having three guys with experience carry the leadership load is a wise idea

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 am 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:
I am torn between otter and The Hoff. Ultimately went with Ott because I think he is more of a guy people can lean on when it comes to carrying yourself as a professional and the fact that he would throw himself under a bus if it meant keeping other players in the team safe. He skates his nuts off. The guy deserves it

the guy licked someone's facemask last year.

fred jackson and kiko alonso.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am 
PP Quarterback

I meant more carrying yourself overall as a professional. From everything I have seen he is well spoken, mild mannered off ice, never creating controversy, and practices hard every day.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 am 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:

Let's keep in mind that he licked a player.

@TJLuckman550

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:53 am 
PP Quarterback

I've said this many times before, and I'm going to say it again: Steve Ott is not the kind of captain that wins teams Stanley Cups, and in the end, that's always the ultimate goal.

@TJLuckman550

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 am 
Sober enough to run a server

I'm in the "Ott is great but not captain material" camp.
I think Vanek should get the C. He's the only guy we have who's capable of putting the team on his shoulders for multiple games.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am 
Superstar Goalie

Vanek. Any other suggestion is offensive. He is professional, a vet and a great player. Leads by example and should have been the Captain well before now.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 am 
PP Quarterback

Displaced Fan wrote:
Vanek. Any other suggestion is offensive. He is professional, a vet and a great player. Leads by example and should have been the Captain well before now.

My sneaking suspicion is he either declined it, or Lindy Ruff hated him that much.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 am 
Cup Winner

I'm torn between Vanek and Ehrhoff. I've always wanted Vanek to have it, he deserves it, but Ehrhoff is just one of those guys when he's on the ice everything just sorta slows down for the team. He's a calming effect on the guys out there.

We could go on a youth captain movement. Pysyk is an example and Hodgson. And even Myers, his play in the preseason was fantastic.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:55 am 
Superstar Goalie

Displaced Fan wrote:

Maybe. The 'leads by example' bit doesn't hold much water with me, because even though he's set the example for years on end, this team historically doesn't respond to that. Sure, there can be the locker room champion, I'm sure that's what Pommers was. The last person to wear a C that made ME feel like "HE is MY team's CAPTAIN" was Craig Rivet, and there were only flashes of it.

Ott wears his emotions on his sleeve during the game, and as a fan, that's what I want to see. Someone who's going to bust his nuts and rile the guys up when it needs to happen. When's the last time you saw Vanek trying to pump the team up?

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:08 pm 
PP Quarterback

NYIntensity wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

Maybe. The 'leads by example' bit doesn't hold much water with me, because even though he's set the example for years on end, this team historically doesn't respond to that. Sure, there can be the locker room champion, I'm sure that's what Pommers was. The last person to wear a C that made ME feel like "HE is MY team's CAPTAIN" was Craig Rivet, and there were only flashes of it.

Ott wears his emotions on his sleeve during the game, and as a fan, that's what I want to see. Someone who's going to bust his nuts and rile the guys up when it needs to happen. When's the last time you saw Vanek trying to pump the team up?

Pumping the team up isn't what a captain needs to do. Does Sidney Crosby, Johnathan Toews, or Nicklas Lidstrom (all Stanley Cup winners) seem like guys who "pump their team up"? No, they just go out there, do the work, maybe they give the team a pep talk every now and again, but mostly, the captain is the guy the players look up to to score the clutch goals, or make the right play at the right time. That's Toews, Crosby, Lidstrom, etc. to a tee. Every team is different, but that's a consistent thing most teams have in their captain. Hell, even Chara has that whole "Norris Trophy winning" thing going for him for his players to look up to. I think when it comes down to it, it's about the player's resume, and what other players see what that player can do for the team. It's not about giving rah-rah speeches in the locker room.

That being said, I don't think Thomas Vanek fits any of these qualities. Vanek is a solid player, but he's never been all that clutch of a player. He has dominating performances here and there, but then he'll disappear on you in spots, too. I've said it before, I'll say it again: the captain of the Buffalo Sabres is not currently on the roster or has not currently progressed far enough as a player (prospects.)

@TJLuckman550

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 pm 
PP Quarterback

We don't really have a say. Otter, Hof, and Vanek honestly all have an equal opportunity here. I think Van gets it, I want Otter. I will be happy with any.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:29 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek. What better way to send the "please don't leave" message than to give him the C.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 am 
Superstar Goalie

I voted Vanek for a few reasons:

-He and Miller are the longest serving players with the team and Miller can't wear a letter.
-He always makes himself available for the media during post game interviews and calls a spade a spade.
-My gut tells me if they slap the C on him, he re-ups for a few more years.
-I have WAY too many Vanek jerseys because I'm a homer like that and if he's not happy and either wants a trade or leaves at the end of the year I'll have no idea what to do with them. :lol:

Honestly though, I can see why they could name Ott as the next leader because he seems to be a hockey player's hockey player. He seems to be a great team guy that shoots from the hip. Downside of that; I think if you turn him into a company man, it could ruin his style of play that has caused so many fans to get on board with his ways.

Not that it matters to the team, but I'll be cool with anyone as long as they hold themselves accountable as well as the team. My only hope is that when they make the big announcement, the players selected aren't forced to wear the 3rd jersey to display the C's and A's. :|

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:09 am 
PP Quarterback

Based on comments of what Rolston said on WGR this morning, look for one of the younger guys to get the captaincy. My money's on Hodgson.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 am 
Cup Winner

I'd say Hodgson too. But I'm still going with my sleeper pick of Pysyk.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:37 am 
PP Quarterback

Captain will be named after practice. Any time, now.

@TJLuckman550

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:25 am 
Captain Dynasty

just announced to players. not media yet.