All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:43 pm 
Cup Winner

BagBoy wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
And we have enough veteran players on our team. Ehrhoff, Myers, Vanek, Stafford, Ott, Weber, Ennis, Leino, should I go on? How is it a team with three rookie players on it and the rest veterans of at least a year or more doesn't have enough veterans? You can learn from any player on the team, whether we think they suck or not. Just because Tallinder is old and slow now, doesn't mean Myers can't learn more from him.

A true veteran who can provide leadership is not defined by a guy no longer being a rookie. We're talking about guys that have been around the block many times and have things they can share with the younger guys. In your list, I'll give you Ehrhoff, Vanek, Ott and Hank. But you consider Myers a veteran? And a veteran you want teaching younger players? Dude your bromance for Myers is completely robbing you of your reason. Same with Weber, Stafford and Leino. The only thing they can teach rookies is to not emulate them.

Did you even read what I wrote? Just because we view them as sucky players, does not mean they can't teach younger players. They all know what it's like playing in the NHL and what they need to do to get better. They have those growing pains which in turn can help provide insight on what to do if they get caught in those situations.

I don't have a bromance with Myers, I actually am subjective in my assessments of the players on this team. There is a reason these so called "great" players hardly work out as coaches. And those third and fourth line grinding type players make the best coaches. Because they know the game better than the ones with that natural talent.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

You do know subjective means biased right? I think maybe you mean objective.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:57 pm 
Cup Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
You do know subjective means biased right? I think maybe you mean objective.

Yea, guess so.

English has never been my strongest point in school.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

sabresindc wrote:

In my opinion, Darcy has made a fatal mistake with the current squad. He has stuffed this team with players who have less that four years experience in the league. Other than experience, what rookies need is veterans to learn from and look up too. I count, maybe two veterans the rookies can learn from on this team. THIS will cause the Sabres to Continue to fail year in and year out. Just because all these rookies have talent, doesn't mean they'll learn how to use it correctly.

I think this is as close to an explanation for the poor play we see as I can find. But I'd like to stress the lack of experience part as even more important than the lack of leadership part. Even if you have good mentors for young guys on a team, I think it just takes time to develop, good advice or no. Looking at the team there are just too many rookies to be competitive. Pysyk looks like a keeper, but the rest still look like crapshoots to me. Grigorenko is a bust I'm pretty sure, Ristolainen could be good but he's having trouble, Girgensons started off OK but has not looked good lately. Larsson I've only seen once but didn't look great. It's just too many rookies to be competitive. And when your "veterans" and "go-to guys" include Myers, Ennis, and Hodgson, all guys under 25, what do you expect?

Whoever said the longterm contracts over the last few years killed Buffalo was dead on as well. Those contracts to Myers, Stafford, and Leino were premature and wildly optimistic. They will be nearly unmovable, and will handcuff the Sabres to the point where they keep having to rush young players into the lineup.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

of course risto is having trouble. hes 18.

this is a rebuild. this is what was expected. rookies struggle. that was expected too. some of these kids havnt even played 10 games yet, and people are sounding panic alarms already? good grief.

there is a reason why the AHL doesnt allow kids into the league till they are 20 (in the US) and why players like armia were not brought over till they were 20. it takes time to develop. so lets not panic because girgensons isnt lighting up the world as a 19 year old with 1 pro season under his belt. he should be a sophomore in college.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:14 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

this is a rebuild. this is what was expected. rookies struggle. that was expected too. some of these kids havnt even played 10 games yet, and people are sounding panic alarms already? good grief.

there is a reason why the AHL doesnt allow kids into the league till they are 20 (in the US) and why players like armia were not brought over till they were 20. it takes time to develop. so lets not panic because girgensons isnt lighting up the world as a 19 year old with 1 pro season under his belt. he should be a sophomore in college.

I guess it's the way they're going about this rebuild I don't like. Seems like they are rushing along their most-prized investments (1st rounders) and I worry about the effect it will have on their confidence. Losing can build character, but it can also crush it. Winning begets a winning mentality. Let these guys dominate in the lower leagues while their brains start to catch up with their bodies instead of putting them in a league where 90% of the players are thinking faster than them. It takes a real special player to learn from starting at rock bottom like Peyton Manning did with the Colts, or Crosby with the Pens. Those are super-special players. These Sabres players are not. So I'd rather see the team filled with more Matt Ellis/Kevin Porter types and let the young guys develop longer.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:33 pm 
Captain Clutch

A 21 year old with a few years experience is not a veteran any rookie can learn from. Hell, most experts say that it takes five years for someone to begin to be comfortable in their career. So Ennis and Hodgson are not veterans IMO. As for Myers, sorry but a player who's "still trying to find his game" should NOT be teaching anyone and no rookie should look up to him. I'm hard on Myers because he is getting paid to be a top defenseman but barely played like 4th line player. Also experience not only means playing in the league but also playing at different levels, different game situations... How many of our vets have gone deep in the playoffs????

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:31 pm 
PP Quarterback

I am a life veteran. Maybe I can toss in my .02. The way this is going, with the kids twerking and what not, it could not hurt. We are clearly out of ideas. Maybe we could compile a list and help rol rol out.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:47 pm 
Cup Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

I guess it's the way they're going about this rebuild I don't like. Seems like they are rushing along their most-prized investments (1st rounders) and I worry about the effect it will have on their confidence. Losing can build character, but it can also crush it. Winning begets a winning mentality. Let these guys dominate in the lower leagues while their brains start to catch up with their bodies instead of putting them in a league where 90% of the players are thinking faster than them. It takes a real special player to learn from starting at rock bottom like Peyton Manning did with the Colts, or Crosby with the Pens. Those are super-special players. These Sabres players are not. So I'd rather see the team filled with more Matt Ellis/Kevin Porter types and let the young guys develop longer.

Being the top rated prospect in both their respective drafts is starting from rock bottom how? The only reason Manning wasn't drafted first overall was because Ryan Leaf was "better" in college.

Their team's might not have been that great to start, but they are not players that really struggled starting out. There was a reason Manning threw for the most yards and TD's ever as a rookie and Crosby put up over 100 points that year.

One other thing, the contracts really don't matter at this part. It can be a burden to some, but without some of those contracts we wouldn't even hit the cap floor.

Rud wrote:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:25 am 
Captain Dynasty

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

i feel you there. i feel the sabres routinely rush their youngsters and it stunts them. myers/stafford/ennis.... its something im very concerned about.

but also, im just some guy watching on TV. i assume the sabres know more than me.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:35 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Being the top rated prospect in both their respective drafts is starting from rock bottom how? The only reason Manning wasn't drafted first overall was because Ryan Leaf was "better" in college.

Their team's might not have been that great to start, but they are not players that really struggled starting out. There was a reason Manning threw for the most yards and TD's ever as a rookie and Crosby put up over 100 points that year.

Dude, do you just need to argue with everything said?

It's rock-bottom because they were both thrown into the league on the WORST TEAMS and had to start from the very beginning. They were just thrown right into the fire. Both their teams also didn't compete for a playoff spot, and these are not guys who had to suffer through a lot of losing before then. It was a big taste of losing and right at the very start of their pro careers.

Any problem with that?

Also btw, Manning WAS drafted first overall.

Last edited by Stuuuuuuu on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:38 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

but also, im just some guy watching on TV. i assume the sabres know more than me.

Wish I could say that's a good assumption, but from what I see, wouldn't be so surprised if you did know more.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:54 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

But I am glad you brought up Ryan Leaf Skyline, because he illustrates my point beautifully. Both Manning and Leaf were rushed along, started right from game 1 on below-average teams. Manning could handle it because like I said he's a special player. Leaf is not a super-special player and he could not, maybe he could have succeeded if they brought him along more carefully, but we'll never know. I'm afraid that right now Buffalo has a bunch Ryan Leafs without a Manning in sight, and they're treating them all like they are all Peyton Manning.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:57 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Wish I could say that's a good assumption, but from what I see, wouldn't be so surprised if you did know more.

zadarov playing tonight. why isnt he playing in london?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:54 pm 
Cup Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Dude, do you just need to argue with everything said?

It's rock-bottom because they were both thrown into the league on the WORST TEAMS and had to start from the very beginning. They were just thrown right into the fire. Both their teams also didn't compete for a playoff spot, and these are not guys who had to suffer through a lot of losing before then. It was a big taste of losing and right at the very start of their pro careers.

Any problem with that?

Also btw, Manning WAS drafted first overall.

I didn't feel like looking up that Manning Draft, thought Leaf was drafted first and him second. My mistake on that.

I missed the special player part. I thought it said they started at rock bottom as a player, not being a special player and starting at rock bottom, must have been from me being too sleepy and having some beer in me. My mistake on that part too. Had I read that properly I would have agreed on it.

Rud wrote:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:16 am 
Captain Dynasty

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

write the sabres. ill GM the shit out of that team.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:48 am 
Cup Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

write the sabres. ill GM the shit out of that team.

As long as you can get me a spot playing defense somewhere, I'm all for it.

I'll learn how to play like an NHL player in no time.

Rud wrote:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

no

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:36 pm 
Cup Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
no

Then you know nothing about hockey and would do a terrible job at GM.

Rud wrote:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:43 pm 
Captain Dynasty

you think there is suffering now? wait till luke adam in the number 3 C.

actually, the sabres should look at mcnabb and adam. adam has been good so far in rochester.

if zad doesnt work out, send him to london, bring up mcnabb. let risto develop in the A.