It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:42 pm 
Penalty Killer

I'll continue to moan about this trade elsewhere, but what can you tell me about Moulson? What do we have to look forward to?

And can we start making jokes about Moulson being Golden? Or am I dating myself? LOL

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:52 pm 
Captain Clutch

Darcy didn't do anything to improve this team RIGHT NOW. Darcy got off on the 1st and 2nd round pick, thats it. Guarantee that Moulson (who is also a UFA at the end of the season) will be gone at the deadline.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm 
Cup Winner

If you honestly expected Darcy to improve this team with this trade you need to step away from hockey for this year.

We're in rebuild mode, it's quite obvious he's getting picks to build this team from the bottom up again.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:18 pm 
Penalty Killer

Ugh. It seems like he's been rebuilding this team from the bottom up for YEARS now.
I need something to look forward to THIS year, not another year of Buffalo press bitching & moaning about the team. Someone needs to see the glass as half full for a change. I want to hear about that!

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 pm 
Cup Winner

Those years weren't really fully fledged as a rebuild though. Honestly, 2010 and 2009 we could have went further in the playoffs, but didn't. Don't want to dismantle a team fully that did finish first in the division just 3 years ago the next year. Now he's committed to the rebuild, and us fans need to realize that.

We're in a true rebuild now, one that does include getting rid of all the veterans and replacing them with picks and our young drafted players.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:47 pm 
Captain Clutch

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Those years weren't really fully fledged as a rebuild though. Honestly, 2010 and 2009 we could have went further in the playoffs, but didn't. Don't want to dismantle a team fully that did finish first in the division just 3 years ago the next year. Now he's committed to the rebuild, and us fans need to realize that.

We're in a true rebuild now, one that does include getting rid of all the veterans and replacing them with picks and our young drafted players.

I know we're in a rebuild but you can't build a great team only by the draft. Since 95% of your draft picks will never be good enough to have a position on real teams. The Sabres have SEVENTEEN 1st and 2nd round draft picks in the next four years! thats a whole team of kids who have no fucking clue on how to play in the NHL. You do realize that means four years to get all these kids then another 3-5 years for them to get enough experience to be worth a damn.... As I've said in the past, you need real veterans with real experience to help the baby's to grow. Who on this team has that real veteran experience. Do you honestly think that ANY veteran with REAL experience will EVER want to step foot on the the Sabres locker room?????

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 pm 
Cup Winner

Weren't you the one saying to win a cup we need a top 3 draft pick?

Now you don't want that?

And last I knew, we still only had 4 out of 23 players on our team that are rookies.

And another thing, if we're in this rebuild right now. Some of these kids playing right now for the team, won't be kids by the time those later draft picks get on this team.

Funny how that work out. You aren't a rookie in 3 years.

Detroit has practically built great teams that won cups by the draft alone. You draft players to your team that stay with the team forever, then your future drafted players have them to look back on. You have to start somewhere, and I guess it's now for the Sabres to be built like that.

Boston was basically built by drafted players, especially when they won their last cup. When Pittsburgh won their cup, their star players were all drafted within 5 years of that date.

Rud wrote:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:18 pm 
Captain Clutch

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Weren't you the one saying to win a cup we need a top 3 draft pick?

Now you don't want that?

And last I knew, we still only had 4 out of 23 players on our team that are rookies.

Yes we do but since this season draft isn't worth much, our misery this season will be all for not. The Sabres NEED to be really bad NEXT season, that is when a true franchise changer will be in the draft (McDavid). Even Kris Baker said that next years draft will be very deep. We don't need all these 1st's this draft, we really don't.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 am 
Cup Winner

Reinhart would still be a very solid pickup if we get the chance to draft him. He is the top rated forward.

And trust me, I'd love to get McDavid next year. Imagine if we get Reinhart and McDavid. Plug them into what we should have in our lineup by then and the team could be a threat.

Our D is pretty set with, Myers, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Risto, Zadorov, right now and whoever else, and we will have Armia, Hodgson, Girgensons, Grigorenko hopefully starring on the team, even with a few of our other draftees from last year.

Rud wrote:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am 
Captain Clutch

I don't have a great outlook like you do. The Sabres need GOOD veterans on your team. Having a crap load of teenagers and limited experienced young vets are a recipe for disaster.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 am 
Franchise Defenseman

:( :( :(

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 am 
Hart Winner

sabresindc wrote:
I don't have a great outlook like you do. The Sabres need GOOD veterans on your team. Having a crap load of teenagers and limited experienced young vets are a recipe for disaster.

And I'm sure free agency and trades can get us those veterans

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 am 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:

And that's why you're complaining so much. :lol:

Try and have a good outlook on the future, it'll make this team you're watching now, not as painful.

I may not have been a fan as long as you, but having positive attitudes, even watching a shitty team, can help.

And B&Y is right. These veterans who can't get NHL contracts anymore that are FA's, could easily fill those roles, would they be the best players, no. But they have that experience you're looking for.

Rud wrote:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:26 pm 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

And I'm sure free agency and trades can get us those veterans

Trades, maybe but free agency. What self respecting decent veteran would ever WANT to come to the Sabres. Unless they overpay some who are not worth the paper they signed, no one is going to come here.

Quote:
These veterans who can't get NHL contracts anymore that are FA's, could easily fill those roles

Yeah, that's a good plan.....

I refuse to be optimistic for the future because because the person who is charge of it hasn't really proven anything in 16 years

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:37 pm 
Hart Winner

Hasn't proven anything except making it two the ECF two years in a row, one year being denied a cup because of injuries...

Considering he's done it before without even TRYING to rebuild, I'd say he can do it again.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

twice. the sabres went to back to back ECF twice. 97-98 and 98-99 and 05-06 and 06-07

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i say we draft ekblad if we have the chance.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 am 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i say we draft ekblad if we have the chance.

If the Sabres didn't go defense-defense at the draft this year, I'd agree with that, but this team needs scoring. If we have a top 2 pick, we can get an immediate jolt in scoring, so I want Sam Reinhart. Then I want to suck again next year and get Connor McDavid.

@TJLuckman550

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:07 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

I don't think Darcy has done a bad job here.
We get those 2 picks from the Vanek trade and we still have a valuable player in Moulson to shop at the deadline and maybe pick up a couple more.
By all objective accounts the Sabres cleaned up at the draft last year and we're primed to do the same thing again.
This year and probably next year are going to suck to watch though.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10 pm 
Penalty Killer

What about keeping Moulson as part of the new leadership group?
If he's a real 'character' guy then I'd be wanting him & Ott to stick around and lead the next generation of Sabres into a bright new future. (see, that's pretty positive thinking, right?) ;)