It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 am 
Offline
Cup Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm
Posts: 13019
Location: North Carolina
Well we are basically guaranteed a top two pick. So, who do you think the Sabres should draft this year with their first pick, hopefully first overall?

I personally think we should go after German Leon Draisaitl. Kid is probably the most poised to make an immediate impact next year. And also out of the top forwards is the biggest weight wise at 209. He is also 18 so he has an extra year of development over the other guys and will be 19 at the beginning of the next NHL season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71913

Who do you think should be drafted by the Sabres with their first pick at the 2014 draft?

_________________
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
No need for violence, just tell her she's got a game misconduct and show her the door.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.


Top
 Profile  
 
BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:34 pm 
Offline
Hart Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm
Posts: 9770
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bennet, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Del Collie. Forward, forward, forward.

_________________
"Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone!" ~ Michael Poulsen, Volbeat, Still Standing.


Top
 Profile  
 
BagBoy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:49 pm 
Offline
Face-Off Specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:26 pm
Posts: 713
Location: Greensboro, NC via 14052
I saw a lot of Draisaitl during the World Juniors, and he looked really good.

However, I'd take Reinhart. Reinhart is the total package in terms of what we need. He's a center with size who could be very productive offensively in the NHL, and he's a captain, so his leadership is also a big asset.

_________________
This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.
--Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 am 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:28 am
Posts: 1877
Location: Graz, Austria
If the plan is to tank next year we shouldn't draft for immediate impact. We should draft whoever might be the better player in 2-3 years.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm 
Offline
Cup Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm
Posts: 13019
Location: North Carolina
BagBoy wrote:
I saw a lot of Draisaitl during the World Juniors, and he looked really good.

However, I'd take Reinhart. Reinhart is the total package in terms of what we need. He's a center with size who could be very productive offensively in the NHL, and he's a captain, so his leadership is also a big asset.

Reinhart is about 30 pounds lighter than Draisaitl and they are both 6'1".

_________________
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
No need for violence, just tell her she's got a game misconduct and show her the door.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.


Top
 Profile  
 
jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:38 pm 
Offline
Certifiably Hotter than ETC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:19 pm
Posts: 3689
Aaron Ekblad...reminds me of a young Shae Weber, build from the blue line out, imagine having 5 top 2 defensive men in 3 years (Myers, Ehrhoff, Ristolenin, Zadorov, and Ekblad) that's a team I could get behind...scorers can be found in later rounds of the draft.

_________________
"She's like plan C after an 18 pack"

Squanto 7/27/2010


Top
 Profile  
 
BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 pm 
Offline
Hart Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm
Posts: 9770
Location: Buffalo, NY
I think we need a top scorer on the team. Relying on the later rounds is too shaky a decision. I think we could use our later picks to bolster our D, but having Zadorov and Ristolainen really removes that need.

Especially if we have two 1st round picks this year which, probably not if the Islanders are smart...

_________________
"Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone!" ~ Michael Poulsen, Volbeat, Still Standing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:33 am 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
BlueandYellow wrote:
I think we need a top scorer on the team. Relying on the later rounds is too shaky a decision. I think we could use our later picks to bolster our D, but having Zadorov and Ristolainen really removes that need.

Especially if we have two 1st round picks this year which, probably not if the Islanders are smart...


Hell, we could have three if the Blues are awesome.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:02 am 
Offline
Cup Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm
Posts: 13019
Location: North Carolina
Or if Miller resigns with the team before the draft.

_________________
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
No need for violence, just tell her she's got a game misconduct and show her the door.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:29 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Or if Miller resigns with the team before the draft.


I'd be putting my money on the Blues waiting until after the draft to sign Miller somehow.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:50 pm 
Offline
Cup Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm
Posts: 13019
Location: North Carolina
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Or if Miller resigns with the team before the draft.


I'd be putting my money on the Blues waiting until after the draft to sign Miller somehow.

That's only one of the many stipulations that can happen for us to get their first round pick from them this year.

_________________
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
No need for violence, just tell her she's got a game misconduct and show her the door.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:43 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Or if Miller resigns with the team before the draft.


I'd be putting my money on the Blues waiting until after the draft to sign Miller somehow.

That's only one of the many stipulations that can happen for us to get their first round pick from them this year.


Here's how it works:

It's a 1st round pick this year if:
A) Miller re-signs before the draft.
B) The Blues make the Conference Finals.

It's a 2nd-round pick next year if the Blues sign him after the Draft.

No other stipulations result in a first-rounder.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
My philosophy is you should take the best player available, regardless of what your need is. If the defensman is the best player there, then take him. If not, and it's one of the forwards, take them.

Right now, my guy gut tells me Ekblad's the best player in the draft. He's big, he can shoot the puck from the blue line. He's got everything you'd need in a franchise defensman. Imagine having two in Ristolainen and Ekblad. Plus, I'm not sure if Zadorov is that guy. I like him, but I feel like his ceiling is top 4.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:16 pm 
Offline
Hart Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm
Posts: 9770
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
My philosophy is you should take the best player available, regardless of what your need is. If the defensman is the best player there, then take him. If not, and it's one of the forwards, take them.

Right now, my guy gut tells me Ekblad's the best player in the draft. He's big, he can shoot the puck from the blue line. He's got everything you'd need in a franchise defensman. Imagine having two in Ristolainen and Ekblad. Plus, I'm not sure if Zadorov is that guy. I like him, but I feel like his ceiling is top 4.


That philosophy hasn't worked out for the Oilers.

_________________
"Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone!" ~ Michael Poulsen, Volbeat, Still Standing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:36 pm 
Offline
Cup Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm
Posts: 13019
Location: North Carolina
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Or if Miller resigns with the team before the draft.


I'd be putting my money on the Blues waiting until after the draft to sign Miller somehow.

That's only one of the many stipulations that can happen for us to get their first round pick from them this year.


Here's how it works:

It's a 1st round pick this year if:
A) Miller re-signs before the draft.
B) The Blues make the Conference Finals.

It's a 2nd-round pick next year if the Blues sign him after the Draft.

No other stipulations result in a first-rounder.



We are gonna get their first round next year regardless of if we get it this year or not, as it was part of the trade.

Don't really care about a first rounder from them this year, want it more next year.

I also don't agree with taking the best player available regardless of position in the draft either. You take what you need, and we need forwards, and there are three very damn good forwards in Draisaitl, Bennet, or Reinhart and one of those three will be in Buffalo next year, or at least drafted by Buffalo.

_________________
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
No need for violence, just tell her she's got a game misconduct and show her the door.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:38 am 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
My philosophy is you should take the best player available, regardless of what your need is. If the defensman is the best player there, then take him. If not, and it's one of the forwards, take them.

Right now, my guy gut tells me Ekblad's the best player in the draft. He's big, he can shoot the puck from the blue line. He's got everything you'd need in a franchise defensman. Imagine having two in Ristolainen and Ekblad. Plus, I'm not sure if Zadorov is that guy. I like him, but I feel like his ceiling is top 4.


That philosophy hasn't worked out for the Oilers.


Unfortunately for the Oilers, the best player has always been a forward. How often is it a defensman?

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 am 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Or if Miller resigns with the team before the draft.


I'd be putting my money on the Blues waiting until after the draft to sign Miller somehow.

That's only one of the many stipulations that can happen for us to get their first round pick from them this year.


Here's how it works:

It's a 1st round pick this year if:
A) Miller re-signs before the draft.
B) The Blues make the Conference Finals.

It's a 2nd-round pick next year if the Blues sign him after the Draft.

No other stipulations result in a first-rounder.



We are gonna get their first round next year regardless of if we get it this year or not, as it was part of the trade.

Don't really care about a first rounder from them this year, want it more next year.

I also don't agree with taking the best player available regardless of position in the draft either. You take what you need, and we need forwards, and there are three very damn good forwards in Draisaitl, Bennet, or Reinhart and one of those three will be in Buffalo next year, or at least drafted by Buffalo.


To each his own, but I'm going to call it now the Sabres pick Ekblad, and I'm pretty sure Bob McKenzie has said the same thing.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:14 pm 
Offline
Hart Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm
Posts: 9770
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
My philosophy is you should take the best player available, regardless of what your need is. If the defensman is the best player there, then take him. If not, and it's one of the forwards, take them.

Right now, my guy gut tells me Ekblad's the best player in the draft. He's big, he can shoot the puck from the blue line. He's got everything you'd need in a franchise defensman. Imagine having two in Ristolainen and Ekblad. Plus, I'm not sure if Zadorov is that guy. I like him, but I feel like his ceiling is top 4.


That philosophy hasn't worked out for the Oilers.


Unfortunately for the Oilers, the best player has always been a forward. How often is it a defensman?

Last 1st overall D man was Erik Johnson I'm pretty sure.

And yeah, the best player has always been a forward. But the Oilers needed a D man way more than a forward. And it showed when they took the forward and still blew buns.

_________________
"Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone!" ~ Michael Poulsen, Volbeat, Still Standing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
My philosophy is you should take the best player available, regardless of what your need is. If the defensman is the best player there, then take him. If not, and it's one of the forwards, take them.

Right now, my guy gut tells me Ekblad's the best player in the draft. He's big, he can shoot the puck from the blue line. He's got everything you'd need in a franchise defensman. Imagine having two in Ristolainen and Ekblad. Plus, I'm not sure if Zadorov is that guy. I like him, but I feel like his ceiling is top 4.


That philosophy hasn't worked out for the Oilers.


Unfortunately for the Oilers, the best player has always been a forward. How often is it a defensman?

Last 1st overall D man was Erik Johnson I'm pretty sure.

And yeah, the best player has always been a forward. But the Oilers needed a D man way more than a forward. And it showed when they took the forward and still blew buns.


To each his own. I just think, especially in a not so top heavy draft, you don't fuck around. Take the best player that's there. Tank it for McDavid next year as long as the lottery doesn't change. Continue the plan. Next year won't be any better.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:27 pm 
Offline
Cup Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm
Posts: 13019
Location: North Carolina
I'd be fine with our D core moving forward.

Myers, Ehrhoff, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk. and whomever else will be good in a few years, Risto looks like he's gonna be a stud, and even if Zadorov isn't a top 2 guy, he'll be a great defensive guy and Pysyk is solid.

Our forward group is looking very dim with just Girgensons, Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno as the core. No true real threats yet, even though Grigorenko has the potential to be that threat. I'd draft a forward this year and hopefully we are lucky to get McDavid next year and we can have a great team once all those guys hit age 25.

_________________
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
No need for violence, just tell her she's got a game misconduct and show her the door.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron