It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:25 pm 
Hart Winner

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I'd be fine with our D core moving forward.

Myers, Ehrhoff, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk. and whomever else will be good in a few years, Risto looks like he's gonna be a stud, and even if Zadorov isn't a top 2 guy, he'll be a great defensive guy and Pysyk is solid.

Our forward group is looking very dim with just Girgensons, Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno as the core. No true real threats yet, even though Grigorenko has the potential to be that threat. I'd draft a forward this year and hopefully we are lucky to get McDavid next year and we can have a great team once all those guys hit age 25.

Especially, since you have those main five, you could bolster it with FA signings and other draft picks. We need better forwards, cause outside of Ennis nobody on this team is a complete player with a scoring touch.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 pm 
PP Quarterback

jvaccaro6 wrote:
Aaron Ekblad...reminds me of a young Shae Weber, build from the blue line out, imagine having 5 top 2 defensive men in 3 years (Myers, Ehrhoff, Ristolenin, Zadorov, and Ekblad) that's a team I could get behind...scorers can be found in later rounds of the draft.

Right now we're like 40 goals behind the 2nd worst team. Put the puck in the net, win games.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 pm 
PP Quarterback

OldTimeHockey wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:
Aaron Ekblad...reminds me of a young Shae Weber, build from the blue line out, imagine having 5 top 2 defensive men in 3 years (Myers, Ehrhoff, Ristolenin, Zadorov, and Ekblad) that's a team I could get behind...scorers can be found in later rounds of the draft.

Right now we're like 40 goals behind the 2nd worst team. Put the puck in the net, win games.

One top-pick forward isn't going to change how often the Sabres put the puck in the net much. Maybe 20-25 goals.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
OldTimeHockey wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

One top-pick forward isn't going to change how often the Sabres put the puck in the net much. Maybe 20-25 goals.

The idea is, you get that top pick forward and bolster it with other draft picks and FA signings.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:51 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
OldTimeHockey wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

The idea is, you get that top pick forward and bolster it with other draft picks and FA signings.

I understand the idea, but it's not like goal-scoring free agents are just going to suddenly flock to Buffalo.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
OldTimeHockey wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

I understand the idea, but it's not like goal-scoring free agents are just going to suddenly flock to Buffalo.

Even more of a reason to go with scoring forwards in the draft...

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:45 am 
PP Quarterback

CSS Rankings are out. They have Sam Bennett ranked as the top North American skater, Aaron Ekblad 2nd, and Sam Reinhart 3rd.

Meanwhile, the ISS Rankings have Aaron Ekblad ranked as their top skater, with Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett ranked 2nd and 3rd. It's a crapshoot. I still think the Sabres should take Ekblad, as while their current crop of defensmen is promising, there's no guarantee they develop the way they're expected to.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:04 pm 
Hart Winner

Uh, there's not even a glimmer of hope that our forward class develops into an actual forward class. When you are last in the league for goals, you don't take a defensemen.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:17 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
Uh, there's not even a glimmer of hope that our forward class develops into an actual forward class. When you are last in the league for goals, you don't take a defensemen.

We still have Armia and Grigorenko waiting in the wings, and Girgensons has untapped offensive top 6 potential. We're in better shape than we realize because a lot of our guys were in Rochester this year rather than up here. We're going to be bad for a while. I'd rather build the right way, and that's from the back end out. I'd rather suck again next year and take a forward with superstar potential like McDavid or Eichel.

Edit: We have to remember. This isn't about being good next year. This is about being good eventually while building a solid team. Ekblad is talked about as a generational defensman. I can't help but be intrigued by that even though our offense is in bad shape, but like I said, I'd rather pick with the long-term in mind, and having a kick-ass defense is still important. Ekblad would add to that, and if need be, trade one of Myers or Ehrhoff for a forward prospect somewhere.

@TJLuckman550

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

Erik Johnson was the last first overall d-man. In that draft Toews was 3rd overall and Giroux was a late first rounder.
I don't think elite d-men are more difficult to find than elite scorers. In my opinion they should draft the best player, if it isn't a clear vote for the d-men, take the forward.

Over the next years Buffalo won't get top free agents. They need to build scoring from within and hoping for Grigorenko and Armia is quite risky.

Last edited by sabretoothpick on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:14 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
Erik Johnson was the last first overall d-man. In that draft Toews was 3rd overall and Giroux was a late first rounder.
I don't think elite d-men are more difficult too find than elite scorers. In my opinion they should draft the best player, if it isn't a clear vote for the d-men, take the forward.

Over the next years Buffalo won't get top free agents. They need to build scoring from within and hoping for Grigorenko and Armia is quite risky.

OK, but sucking next year and getting McDavid/Eichel fixes that problem. I can't stress what the importance of getting them is. Realistically, what does that set us back, an extra year? If even that?

@TJLuckman550

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:04 pm 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
I don't think elite d-men are more difficult too find than elite scorers. In my opinion they should draft the best player, if it isn't a clear vote for the d-men, take the forward.

OK, but sucking next year and getting McDavid/Eichel fixes that problem. I can't stress what the importance of getting them is. Realistically, what does that set us back, an extra year? If even that?

Well, if we get McDavid he needs linemates to play with. I'm not counting on Grigorenko, everything he has shown, points more towards bust than top 6 NHL-player.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 pm 
Cup Winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W80Hc8X5xCQ

Grigorenko was mismanaged. He is gonna be fine.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:31 pm 
Hart Winner

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

He needs a season in the AHL. I think Grigo will be fine, too.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:04 pm 
Cup Winner

BlueandYellow wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

He needs a season in the AHL. I think Grigo will be fine, too.

I agree also. I don't think he'll last all season though. He'll be called up before next year is over.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:12 am 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:

Well, if we get McDavid he needs linemates to play with. I'm not counting on Grigorenko, everything he has shown, points more towards bust than top 6 NHL-player.

He's 19. He's fucking 19.

@TJLuckman550

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm 
PP Quarterback

Did I mention Girgensons has untapped offensive potential? Image

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm 
Hart Winner

I wanna see Girgensons with actual line mates.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:11 pm 
PP Quarterback

Well duh.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:47 am 
Cup Winner

I'd like to see him with some good line mates also.

Rud wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next