It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:07 pm 
PP Quarterback

I have watched nearly ever game. And will run down some players who are playing like shit and those who are really turning the corner.

The good
Ryan O'Reilly- By far and its not even close. This guy is the hardest worker on the ice every night and his points should be at least doubled. His faceoff % is good and he pulls through in the clutch when needed. He is a young Drury. And the fact we have him locked up for a long time helps ease the pain of losing my favorite player. Colorado lost out on this guy IMO.

Samson Reinhart- The kid who everyone was ready to write off and try to trade 5 games in are eating some serious crow right now. He needed to acclimate to the speed and the 3rd line was good for that transition. He is winning battles in corners, screening 3-4 goals already, and dishing out assists that are grade A dimes. His speed is getting better and he will only continue to get better with time. This is our Derek Roy without the dumbass 1-2 mistakes he would make every game. "Roy comes across the blue line, tries to take on 4 players, loses the puck, 3 on 1 coming the other way. And they score." I don't know if he can be our Danny Briere but we will say that Derek Roy was a Samson Reinhart lite.

Jack Eichel- We have a generational talent on our hands and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. He should have at least 4-6 assists. Players the first couple games were blown away he could even get the puck to them the way he has proven capable. The pairing with Kane killed Eichels ability to make plays with the puck. When its on his stick magical shit happens. Every game you are just in awe. Has been playing great away from the puck and is throwing his body around. If he keeps this up he may end up being the best two way forward in the game.

Evander Kane- He is a second pairing guy but needs to be with a line that has players that compliment his style. I.E. Reinhart, Larsson, and Girgensons. He was one of our best players the first four games and I love his physicality but his extremely low hockey IQ is a hinderence to Eichels development.

Jake McCabe/Pysyk line- I will lump these two together for simplicity but the two I want to keep together and let develop into the 2 line pairing for the next 4 years. Both are very strong and compliment each other well. I never really notice them and when it comes to defense that's a good thing.

The Bad

#1 Tyler Ennis- He is trying to do way to much this year on a team that doesn't need him to do that. Making dumb mistakes, carrying the puck too long, just bad overall play. He needs to get his head on straight and play the way he did last year. I think it is a slump and he comes back to what we usually see out of him. He needs to stay with O'Reilly.

#2 Risto- He isn't flat out bad but certainly not the player he was last year. I am willing to give him a pass because he was out so long with injury. The 20-26 minutes a game seem to be wearing him down so his conditioning may be the reasoning for this. I expect him as a top defensemen in the league by next year. I, also, think Bogo being out takes away the crutch and teacher he relied on last year.

#3 Girgensons- He seems lost in the system right now. Part of this is a learning curve. He did great as a rookie but we got lucky having him succeed and not channel him through the proper development avenues....see Grigo. He is too good to slump for too long. He will be a core piece moving forward along with Risto. Most players I see having a hard time adapating to new system or just slumping.

#4 Franson- We got exactly what we paid for. The thing that gets me excited is he has shown promise defensively the past 2 games. He is doing ok. He's just a bad defensemen.

The Ugly

The ugly is very, very ugly.

#1 Gionta-He is pretty much useless out there. Not fast enough for the system, lacks the size the system requires, cannot finish. He just flat out fucking sucks. I want to trade him or see him in the press box because I think the play slows down just to get him involved. Its hindering development IMO. We haven't had a legitimate captain in nearly 5 years. O'Reilly better be that next guy.

#2 Weber- Weber is the biggest turd on the ice night in and night out. I never though in my life I would say that another defender is making Franson look bad....but Weber is that bad. God bless him for commandeering the tank and sticking with us through the dark days but we need to get rid of him as soon as we can. I really think we kept him around originally because McCabe was thought to need cooking in the AHL. Well when Bogo went down and McCabe proved he can play up it kept Weber on the roster. When Bogo gets back we will be set. Defence is one year away from being top notch.

#3-The entire goalie sitation. Linus showed promise.

Shortened 1/10th of the way through the season summary.

This team is light years ahead of where I thought they would be. The record is in no way an indicator of how the team has played. We have outshot nearly ever team we have played and went from dead last in Corsi last year to being top 5. They have had some very unlucky bounces go against them. We outplayed Montreal for 2 periods and it wasn't even close. We are making young mistakes but when we dominate it is truly special to see. The speed, tenacity, and skill is unparalleled. We will dominate without a question in my mind within the next two years.

If anyone here looks at the record and thinks maybe I will hold off on getting Center Ice...don't go think that way. Pony up the money.This team should easily be above .500 right now and I think we are going to make a playoff push a year ahead of time. I expected the record we have but not the quality of play this early.

If anyone has any questions about players let me know.

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:01 am 
resident car guy

Kind of disagree about Ennis (although I've missed a few games). I think he is trying to do too much but he seems to be making some good chances. I think he'll end up snapping out of the slump and be a big contributor.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:16 pm 
PP Quarterback

Ryan911T wrote:
Kind of disagree about Ennis (although I've missed a few games). I think he is trying to do too much but he seems to be making some good chances. I think he'll end up snapping out of the slump and be a big contributor.

Not disagreeing at all. He is trying to make the plays happens instead of letting the plays come to him. They all the same thing after getting out of their slump. "I was trying to make the plays come to me" It's a sign of frustration on his part. He needs to relax and play his role. We don't need him to carry the team anymore. And he doesn't need to try to hard to justify his top 6 status on this roster. We have playmakers to set him up. "Rhyno Reilly" is perfect for him along with Samson. Samson and Eichel were a force when they were together before the season. I haven't seen play like that in forever. They were undressing vets every shift.

lamaisonbleu
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:11 am 
Late-Round Gem

You are spot on with Weber. He sank the Caps in OT with a bad defensive play.