It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
SabresBillsFan
 Post subject: Re: Calling GM Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:50 pm 
Power Forward

psychemedisabrefan wrote:
now if that was a call out too me i'd ay ask me about the bills not the sabres as i think i could do a better job with the football. which is weird seeing how poor the bills seem, or at least o could present my idea of how i'd run this off season. I'll suck it up and deal with Gailey as the coach for this year, the the OC is changing. still debating whether or not to post the whole idea under one of the threads. well i'll go drink something and decide. my only idea for the sabres is trading for sharp and fisher. but it's up in the air.

I would love for the Sabres to get Sharp. As far as Mike Fisher goes I don't believe Ottawa would trade Fisher especially to a team in the same division. Buffalo Bills god they are a mess!

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

if you are talking about kovalchuk. one of the big things against not obtaining him is that he likes to be on the ice a lot and would not fit well into lindy ruff's system. Ruff tries to get everyone involved where atlanta built the team around kovalchuk, which makes me wonder what the thrashers are going to now that he is gone and how the devils are going to give kovy the amount of ice time he wants. no doubt in my mind he brings a load of offensive talent. one reason why i think mike fisher would fit on this team, he can play both ends of the ice well and still be a scoring threat (obviously not in the category of kovy).

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 pm 
Power Forward

if you are talking about kovalchuk. one of the big things against not obtaining him is that he likes to be on the ice a lot and would not fit well into lindy ruff's system. Ruff tries to get everyone involved where atlanta built the team around kovalchuk, which makes me wonder what the thrashers are going to now that he is gone and how the devils are going to give kovy the amount of ice time he wants. no doubt in my mind he brings a load of offensive talent. one reason why i think mike fisher would fit on this team, he can play both ends of the ice well and still be a scoring threat (obviously not in the category of kovy).

I agree Mike Fisher is a very good hockey player but Ottawa won't trade him and Darcy gives me no hope that he can go out and acquire what this team needs without giving up way too much.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:19 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

SabresBillsFan wrote:
So trade a 2nd rounder for Moore who was a rental player with no intention of re-signing the guy. Why trade for him then.
Start building for the future.

The Cup should be the first priority on Ownership and GM Regier's plate and not just being content on making the playoffs. The Sabres can't beat this team (Ottawa) to save their lives and Regier wants to sit and do nothing. Why not take a shot without mortaging too much of the future.

I'm now saying trying to do what the devils did but maybe a minor pickup or two could really help.

-They traded Kotalik for a 2nd round pick, and that pick was sent over for Moore. Kotalik was an impending UFA, and they had no intention of keeping him. They thought Moore would give them better all around play than Kotalik, and for the most part that was true. They may have tried to resign him, but Moore wanted way too much, so he was let go. There's no difference if they kept Kotalik, since he was walking anyway.

-You build for the future by stockpiling players and picks. You don't trade them all away for short term rental players. You also don't build for the future while at the same time expecting the team to make a run in the playoffs. You also don't make moves JUST to beat one team.

- I'd also like to know how you 'take a shot without mortgaging the future'. In the trade market, you have to give up something to get something back. If you're a buyer, you're probably going to have to overpay and mortgage your future to get something.

- Darcy has made minor tweaks almost every year. As usual, people like yourself are screaming because they're not doing it on your schedule.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 pm 
Garbage Man

IMO Darcy showed he had a pair of ball when he drafted Myers after the horrible season he had just had.

Eh

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 pm 
Power Forward

Squanto wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
So trade a 2nd rounder for Moore who was a rental player with no intention of re-signing the guy. Why trade for him then.
Start building for the future.

The Cup should be the first priority on Ownership and GM Regier's plate and not just being content on making the playoffs. The Sabres can't beat this team (Ottawa) to save their lives and Regier wants to sit and do nothing. Why not take a shot without mortaging too much of the future.

I'm now saying trying to do what the devils did but maybe a minor pickup or two could really help.

-They traded Kotalik for a 2nd round pick, and that pick was sent over for Moore. Kotalik was an impending UFA, and they had no intention of keeping him. They thought Moore would give them better all around play than Kotalik, and for the most part that was true. They may have tried to resign him, but Moore wanted way too much, so he was let go. There's no difference if they kept Kotalik, since he was walking anyway.

-You build for the future by stockpiling players and picks. You don't trade them all away for short term rental players. You also don't build for the future while at the same time expecting the team to make a run in the playoffs. You also don't make moves JUST to beat one team.

- I'd also like to know how you 'take a shot without mortgaging the future'. In the trade market, you have to give up something to get something back. If you're a buyer, you're probably going to have to overpay and mortgage your future to get something.

- Darcy has made minor tweaks almost every year. As usual, people like yourself are screaming because they're not doing it on your schedule.

And here's my point you trade Kotalik for a 2nd rounder and keep it! This team wasn't going anywhere anyways. They weren't going to make the playoffs and they really messed up their draft position by winning games that really doesn't matter. Even if they would have made the playoffs they would have been bounced in the first round.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:32 pm 
Power Forward

sabresEH wrote:
IMO Darcy showed he had a pair of ball when he drafted Myers after the horrible season he had just had.

I can say this much when the draft went down I wanted Colton Teubert rather than Myers because at the time he was a more physical defenseman than Myers and that's something the Sabres lacked. But since the world juniors Myers had a fire lit under him and his play has gone above and beyond Teubert right now.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

SabresBillsFan wrote:
And here's my point you trade Kotalik for a 2nd rounder and keep it! This team wasn't going anywhere anyways. They weren't going to make the playoffs and they really messed up their draft position by winning games that really doesn't matter. Even if they would have made the playoffs they would have been bounced in the first round.

WAIT JUST A SECOND....

Let me get this straight...

Darcy is a terrible GM because he never makes a move to improve his team going into the playoffs.

However, when he DOES make a move to improve his team going into the playoffs (Moore to replace Kotalik), he's a terrible GM because he should have just kept the pick and built for the future.

Can't have it both ways son.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:10 am 
Power Forward

Squanto wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:

WAIT JUST A SECOND....

Let me get this straight...

Darcy is a terrible GM because he never makes a move to improve his team going into the playoffs.

However, when he DOES make a move to improve his team going into the playoffs (Moore to replace Kotalik), he's a terrible GM because he should have just kept the pick and built for the future.

Moore was an upgrade over Kotalik for sure but last years team needed a miracle to make the playoffs and for what. Do you actually think they would of made a run with that team are you kidding me.

Can't have it both ways son.

I'm just saying that last year's team wasn't going to do anything anyways even if they would have gotten lucky enough to make the playoffs. When I knew they weren't going to make it I wanted them to lose to improve their draft position because that's the only way the Sabres are going to get the help they need for the future. If Darcy didn't do business that way I would think otherwise. And until he leaves that is his MO. Come on I'm not the only one that thinks Darcy sucks. He too conservative. We will be an also ran with this current approach and nothing more.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:18 am 
Franchise Defenseman

i definitely don't like how conservative darcy is. i think if he was a bit more aggressive he might be able to screw people over. i mean burke is incredibly aggressive but almost never gets screwed. I don't want darcy to be a dimwit aggressive GM though. but i mean this city is quite depressed economically and could use a stanley cup victory. I'm very sick of this cheap talk. I mean if i heard Darcy was going after fisher, sharp, or had any intention to sign a decent back up, say Biron, and a quality defenseman like volchenkov.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:04 am 
Power Forward

i definitely don't like how conservative darcy is. i think if he was a bit more aggressive he might be able to screw people over. i mean burke is incredibly aggressive but almost never gets screwed. I don't want darcy to be a dimwit aggressive GM though. but i mean this city is quite depressed economically and could use a stanley cup victory. I'm very sick of this cheap talk. I mean if i heard Darcy was going after fisher, sharp, or had any intention to sign a decent back up, say Biron, and a quality defenseman like volchenkov.

I agree with the Darcy assesment and that Burke is incredibly aggresive but that's what good GM's do is when they want someone they go after them. Doesn't always mean they land that player but they at least make the effort.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:32 am 
Cup Winner

In the NHL one player won't make a difference, take a look at how Atlanta was with just Kovalchuk.

Even in Pittsburgh with Crosby alone.

Same thing with Washington and OV.

But if you happen to get f top 5 picks or all top ten, eventually it pays off, 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins. Everyone knew Crosby, Malkin, MAF, Orpik, and Staal were eventually going to make their team really dangerous. Washington, Green, OV, Semin, Backstrom, and Varly are all going to be an incredible team, they are already.

If you don't get top draft picks the only way to build is through making the perfect selections if you are a high draft pick or middle of the pack like Detroit. You draft excellent and make subtle trades to be good.

To be honest it is the only way to build an NHL team, even Jersey built through the draft for Parise, Broduer and such. Many of the great teams now don't rely on FA signings, except maybe a few pickups here and there.

To me that is how to build an NHL team, Regier has done fine, we need a few pieces, but we aren't far from having an incredible team for years, get a good RW for our first line, get another top pair D-man, and maybe a a great bottom six guy to bolster this team. We already have a great core of Vanek, Roy, Connolly, Pominville, Myers, and Miller with us for the next two years at least. Even Hecht who can bolster our third line if Kennedy ends up moving to winger on the second line someday. Or stays with the second line as they have been great. If Stafford picks his play up, but highly unlikely he is also either good trade bait or a good RW to at least play on the first line even though he isn't a 1st line player.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:16 pm 
MegaDouche

Locking thread. <insert explanation of trolling in forums and how it's not a good idea here>

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3