It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PuckSniperPensel
 Post subject: Matt Cullen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:00 pm 
Page Side

I want Matt Cullen on this team. He has a low cap it, he'd come at a decent price, and he'd allow us to move Roy or Kennedy out to wing to let them focus on scoring.

He's pretty good at faceoffs, he plays on special teams, he's a proven playoff performer, and he's won a Stanley Cup.

Carolina is looking for youngsters and draft picks. This could be a very easy deal for Darcy to pull the trigger on.

What say you?

Jim Bob
 Post subject: Re: Matt Cullen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:14 pm 
Penalty Killer

I wouldn't be surprised if Cullen is the type of player that Regier is looking at.

I also think that he might be looking at a PP QB D-man, as well.

Only time will tell........

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:18 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

No thanks, he adds 0 in scoring upgrade to the current roster. Career wise his +/- does not appear suitable to Lindy's system as well. Just another mediocre player IMO.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:21 pm 
Page Side

slesh wrote:
No thanks, he adds 0 in scoring upgrade to the current roster. Career wise his +/- does not appear suitable to Lindy's system as well. Just another mediocre player IMO.

Scoring is down this season because he plays on a shit team.

Look at this playoff scoring stats and tell me that's not a guy you'd like to have on your team.

It also puts another veteran up front for leadership which I think this team could use.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:22 pm 
Captain Dynasty

slesh wrote:

I think in the past few years he's been pretty solid. And I think he would upgrade scoring over curent centermen like Gaustad and Kennedy.

Hecht - Connolly - Pominville
Vanek - Cullen - Roy
MacArthur - Gaustad - Stafford
Kaleta - Kennedy - Grier

Might have a few guys on the wrong wing.

Depending on who you move.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:13 pm 
Penalty Killer

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
slesh wrote:

I think in the past few years he's been pretty solid. And I think he would upgrade scoring over curent centermen like Gaustad and Kennedy.

Hecht - Connolly - Pominville
Vanek - Cullen - Roy
MacArthur - Gaustad - Stafford
Kaleta - Kennedy - Grier

Might have a few guys on the wrong wing.

Depending on who you move.

I'd rather see Roy stay at center, have Cullen center the 3rd line, and push Gaustad down to the 4th line with Kennedy moved to the wing or the press box.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:26 pm 
Star Sniper

Cullen would not be a top priority as far as what the team really needs right now, but I still like him. He's 32, same age as Hecht, and is a pending UFA with a 2.875 cap hit. With Kennedy having growing pains I would really doubt his effectiveness as a rookie in the playoffs. Nothing against Kennedy but that's just life in the NHL for a rookie. So if anyone was brought in as a replacement I think Cullen is the best option. I would want him as the 3rd line center also, and let Kennedy replace Mac on LW or sit and learn.

Cullen is still young enough to think about signing for 2-3 years in the summer, but he'll have the advantage of entertaining offers that could match his current salary. That's a problem for Buffalo since the bigger holes are a scoring/tough veteran forward and a PP QB d-man. There probably isn't enough cap space to address those needs and keep Cullen around. Also, unless Connolly or Roy are involved in a bigger trade, odds are that Kennedy comes back stronger and better next season, eliminating the need for Cullen.

So even though I really wish we had Cullen right now as the 3rd line center, I doubt he could be had as anything more than a rental. I'm not too sure he's worth the cost as a rental.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm 
Cup Winner

Cullen is not a second or first line center.

He is a great third line center but that's it.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.