It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

slesh
 Post subject: Bobby Ryan RFA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Two 30+ goal seasons. I offer this kid 3.8 to 4.2 mil for 3 seasons if possible.
Doubt the Ducks let him go, but I am not sure they can match if they go hunting in FA for Defensemen.

It would be interesting.

mechaphil
 Post subject: Re: Bobby Ryan RFA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:54 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Hmm

I don't think I would be against Bobby Ryan being here.

He could be a big-money acquisition this off-season.

jordano
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 pm 
Two-Way Center

I was thinking the exact same thing slesh. Why not go for him?

#1 Hockey Nation.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 pm 
Star Sniper

Because Ryan is worth more than Vanek. He will most likely be signed. They aren't that dumb.

If you think you'd get Bobby on a sheet for 4 million, you're on crack. /no offense to anyone.

Edit: do you think we could trade Edmonton's 1st round pick for 4 years(in the cellar) for Bobby?, I think so. He'd be cheaper and better.

slesh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

daz28 wrote:
Because Ryan is worth more than Vanek. He will most likely be signed. They aren't that dumb.

If you think you'd get Bobby on a sheet for 4 million, you're on crack. /no offense to anyone.

He would normally get around 5 for an offer, now, I don't think so.............I could be wrong though, but I would still put an offer out there for him. Couldn't hurt any.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:41 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
daz28 wrote:

He would normally get around 5 for an offer, now, I don't think so.............I could be wrong though, but I would still put an offer out there for him. Couldn't hurt any.

Welcome to the new NHL. He's probably considered top-caliber talent, and may draw offers in the Vanek range. I hope Bobby's agent doesn't know this.

slesh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

daz28 wrote:
slesh wrote:
daz28 wrote:

Welcome to the new NHL. He's probably considered top-caliber talent, and may draw offers in the Vanek range. I hope Bobby's agent doesn't know this.

I think you are very mistaken, welcome to the Recession. There is no way he receives over 5.5 a season. Just not smart business by the Ducks and they know it. I think alot of teams are going to find this a hard lesson once the realization hits that this downturn is going to last a while, just ask the BlackHawks.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
daz28 wrote:
slesh wrote:
daz28 wrote:

I think you are very mistaken, welcome to the Recession. There is no way he receives over 5.5 a season. Just not smart business by the Ducks and they know it. I think alot of teams are going to find this a hard lesson once the realization hits that this downturn is going to last a while, just ask the BlackHawks.

If Ryan could be had for 5.5 with only mild compensation(I know I should know it), then at least 10 teams would try. I think I'm over, and your underestimating his value. We'll see. IMO, the Ducks should be pleased to get him for $6m over 5 years. Maybe a bit lower by the recession. No way he goes cheap.

edit: I'm also a fan, so maybe I'm going overbored. I think he's franchise, but so are his linemates.

edit agin: I think this contract is going to draw a lot of attention.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:33 am 
Garbage Man

I'm sure a lot of teams would offer him 5.5mill or more. Atl needs players. COL has tons of cap room and are looking for wingers. The Islanders have more than enough money and open roster spots. The recession doesn't mean that much when it comes to the good players. It means a lot to players like Afi and Moore.

Eh

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:36 am 
Power Forward

I would love to see Bobby Ryan in a Sabres uniform but dream on because their is no way in hell Anaheim lets him go.

Maestro
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:43 am 
Career AHL'er

I just read not too long ago on some hockey web site (no, it wasn't eklund) that don't be surprised if Bobby Ryan lands with Toronto. They said Burke tried to trade for him last summer with no avail and that Ryan may be too costly for the Ducks now. Ducks are in the hunt for a d-men and with Kaberle, Phanuef and bunch of other dudes, Toronto actually has a surplus on defense, and could offer Luke Schenn for Ryan.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am 
Penalty Killer

slesh wrote:

Are you kidding me?

The cap will not shrink big time next year and the money for top end guys will be there.

The Ducks would love for a team to give Bobby Ryan an offer sheet for less than $4M per as I would expect them to match that without even giving it a second thought.

And personally, I think that Ryan will likely get a better contract than Pominville has right now.

If the Ducks don't want to pay Ryan, my guess is that they would want a Kessel-esque package in return: 2 1sts & a 2nd.

slesh
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:01 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Jim Bob wrote:
slesh wrote:

Are you kidding me?

The cap will not shrink big time next year and the money for top end guys will be there.

The Ducks would love for a team to give Bobby Ryan an offer sheet for less than $4M per as I would expect them to match that without even giving it a second thought.

And personally, I think that Ryan will likely get a better contract than Pominville has right now.

If the Ducks don't want to pay Ryan, my guess is that they would want a Kessel-esque package in return: 2 1sts & a 2nd.

LOL, well of course I'm dreaming Jim Bob.
I fully realize he is going to be offered 5.5 mil or more. That doesn't mean I wouldn't make him an offer if I'm the GM of the Sabres. But thats not Darcy's style. Its just a pipe dream, but what a pipe dream it is. I can see Bobby Ryan on the RW with Ennis Centering and either Kennedy or another young LWer in their. It sure looks nice though. LOL

Maestro
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:05 pm 
Career AHL'er

slesh wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:
slesh wrote:

Are you kidding me?

I fully realize he is going to be offered 5.5 mil or more. That doesn't mean I wouldn't make him an offer if I'm the GM of the Sabres. But thats not Darcy's style. Its just a pipe dream, but what a pipe dream it is. I can see Bobby Ryan on the RW with Ennis Centering and either Kennedy or another young LWer in their. It sure looks nice though. LOL

Nice job of back pedaling.... :clap:

slesh
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Maestro wrote:
slesh wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:
slesh wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Nice job of back pedaling.... :clap:

Who has back peddled? I would still offer him the 3.8 to 4.2 mil I stated before. This does not mean I don't agree with others, I just happen to see what is coming, with money problems spread across the next 6 to 8 years in my opinion, this would not be a bad offer, since its already been point out that atleast 10 other teams will make an offer, or could make an offer, or might make an offer.
Whats the point to this post again? Oh, ya, the fact that I thought Buffalo should make the kid an offer, you say 5.5 or better, I say 3.8 to 4.2.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Cap #
Setoguchi, Devin RFA 1.247
Pavelski, Joe RFA 1.637
Johnson, Erik RFA 3.7
Letang, Kris RFA 0.837
Stempniak, Lee UFA 2.5
Foligno, Nick RFA 0.850
Plekanec, Tomas UFA 2.75
Skille, Jack RFA 1.275
Eager, Ben RFA 0.965

other interesting notables.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:13 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Nick Foligno, please. Stick it to Ottawa, (hopefully) get some idea of how they are beating us so much, and a good home town boy. Win Win Win. But RFA signings need to give up picks as well, right?

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 am 
Penalty Killer

slesh wrote:

If you are going to hit the crack pipe and dream, why not dream that the Sabres sign Marleau for the league minimum?

That's as likely to happen as the Sabres signing Ryan to an offersheet of less than $4M per year and the Ducks letting him walk.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:10 am 
Penalty Killer

Van_Da_Man wrote:
Nick Foligno, please. Stick it to Ottawa, (hopefully) get some idea of how they are beating us so much, and a good home town boy. Win Win Win. But RFA signings need to give up picks as well, right?

RFA compensation is based on the value of the contract.

The bigger the offer sheet, the higher the draft pick compensation if the team opts not to match.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

The cap won't shrink at all...recession or not.

The cap is based on NHL revenue that year. Think about it; the NHL REVENUE not team revenue. The NHL has signed many exclusive deals this year, and attracted new sponsorships. They received a big offer from Upper Deck to sell them the exclusive rights to creating hockey cards, they renewed several TV contracts, etc, etc, etc. Trust me, they wont let the cap go down and kill teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, NYR, Calgary, and so on, all of those teams are fairly crunched by the cap.

Plus on the financial side of things, you can take a 500,000 dollar loss, and write it off over 30 years to make it look like a marginal loss, and dont think it's above any company to do that. It's not illegal if you do it the right way. For example, you take a loan for a project like the winter classic, tack on an additional 750K on it, and pay off the old debt, and float that along for additional years, making it look like you came in under budget on one project, and paid off the debt with the surplus, to attract other investors. It happens all the time; it's the beautiful world of creative accounting.

Don't ask me how I know, just trust me, I know :)

Squanto 7/27/2010