It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

patkane88
 Post subject: Re: 1st line center
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:41 pm 
Captain Clutch

mechaphil wrote:
I've heard talk that Kariya is thinking of retiring maybe, but it wasn't anything concrete.

I heard that as well and I hope he doesn't, the guy can still play.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 am 
Garbage Man

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
Jordan Staal is definitely good, but I don't know if he has the skills to make it as a first-line center.

He'd be at best a second line center I think.

He doesn't have the offensive skills like Eric Staal.

There is literally no way to know this when he's playing third line minutes all the time. He has the size, and strength to play first line and it may only be a matter of being given an opportunity to play in that role before it becomes apparent.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:23 pm 
Star Sniper

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
Jordan Staal is definitely good, but I don't know if he has the skills to make it as a first-line center.

There is literally no way to know this when he's playing third line minutes all the time. He has the size, and strength to play first line and it may only be a matter of being given an opportunity to play in that role before it becomes apparent.

Guys. Listen to me. :) I have like LITERALLY watched every game of his professional career, almost. His vision, hands, and play making ability are average AT BEST. If you gave him snipers, he would not have a clue as to how to get them the puck. Joe Thornton he is NOT. Does he muscle his way to the front of the net? Sometimes, about as much as a smaller forward would. Staal is not the big tough center that stands in front of the net and deflects in goals. You ever watch how Eric Staal drives the net every game, all the time? No, Jordan does not do that nearly enough. He's more of a perimeter player who hates to be scored against. Really good defensive player, his reach is all consuming, and his defensive play does lead to more offense.

I'm not saying Staal can't survive in the league as a 2nd line center. But KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING. And that's frustrated under producing snipers, and a center who is not much help at all on the power play. If you're looking for a 95% kill rate on the Sabres then yeah!

There have been long stretches when Malkin or Crosby are hurt and Staal gets a little bit different wingers (although, on most nights Cooke/Kennedy are the best combo of wingers on the team and plays with them most of the time) and more of a green light to score goals. He was invisible.

Staal was the 3rd line shut down center in the OHL, he was never--EVER given the time to build confidence as a player expected to pile up points. Eric got that valuable time in the AHL, Staal did not. He went right from the O to the NHL and there he has stayed as a checking center. he looks GREAT as Malkin's winger (almost scored 30 his rookie year) but for some godforsaken reason the Pens have a hard on for 3 scoring lines. Staal's is a good line, but not what I would call a "scoring line". On a few nights it is on fire offensively but not what the Sabres need.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:20 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Give Dallas Roy, Stafford, and Butler for Brad Richards. Fast track Kassian. Promote Weber to play with his old partner Sekera.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:31 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I am not in favor of Brad Richards, the worst contract ever.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:33 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

You said you were over AIM one night :D

Rud
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 pm 
Superstar Goalie

What happens in AIM stays in AIM

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:38 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Rud wrote:
What happens in AIM stays in AIM

If only you took part in our old AIM chats from back in the day haha.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Did I? I swear to god every time Brad Richards's name comes up, all I can see are dollar signs, and Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis Pole dancing naked in the basement.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:52 pm 
Cup Winner

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

The professionals who rate and judge players said that Eric Staal is the best offensive one out of the 3 in the NHL right now, they say the youngest might be the best but time will tell.

Jordan Staal isn't capable of playing first line minutes or with first line talent. I'm sure he could pot 30 goals if he was on the second line playing second line minutes, he's like Drury, a guy who is an awesome defensive guy and PK'er, but should never be a first line center because he lacks the skillset to play it. I'd be all over him for a second line center though.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ScottP
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:33 pm 
First Rounder

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Did I? I swear to god every time Brad Richards's name comes up, all I can see are dollar signs, and Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis Pole dancing naked in the basement.

Hahaha great image

adambuffalo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:39 pm 
First Rounder

There are a few Centers that are available. Besides Marleau or Joki, I think we would be better going after a RFA. Maybe a Steen, Pavelski or Little? Anyway, I agree that a #1 center should be our top priority.

UFAs
Marleau, Patrick
Jokinen, Olli
Plekanec, Tomas
Lombardi, Matthew
Belanger, Eric
Williams, Jason
Comrie, Mike
Malhotra, Manny
Stastny, Yan
-
RFAs
Mueller, Peter
Steen, Alexander
Pavelski, Joe
Gagner, Sam
Cogliano, Andrew
Little, Bryan
Campbell, Greg
Schremp, Rob
Fraser, Colin
Lapierre, Maxim
Chipchura, Kyle

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:51 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

If Joe Pavelski doesn't make at least $5M next season, I'd be stunned

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:03 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i know he hasnt been mentioned, and hell never get traded, but would anyone else kill to get mike richards?

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 am 
Penalty Killer

adambuffalo wrote:
There are a few Centers that are available. Besides Marleau or Joki, I think we would be better going after a RFA. Maybe a Steen, Pavelski or Little? Anyway, I agree that a #1 center should be our top priority.

Pavelski is the lone un-signed RFA that I see out there with #1 center potential. But, I can't see him leaving SJ.

Steen isn't a #1 and Little's upside seems to be in the Roy/Connolly range.

I could live with Connolly & Roy for another year if the Sabres were to get a solid 2nd/3rd line center like Matt Cullen or Saku Koivu to build the Sabres center depth.

Also, I wouldn't mind a deal (or a series of deals) that moves a guy like Pominville out and brings in Brad Richards who has one year left on his deal prior to being an UFA.

Richards & Cullen not only would help the Sabres center situation, but they also can play the point on the PP.