It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

X-pensfan
 Post subject: Trade talk in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:03 pm 
Star Sniper

Hey there, I thought it might be cool to start a thread about any and all Sabre related trade rumors that I overhear here in Pittsburgh.

To begin with, *sigh* Evgeny Malkin is already being thrown under the bus by Penguins fans! He's one of my favorite players, and I REALLY want to see him go to a place where he will be treated like a #1 center and appreciated as such. In Pittsburgh, he's the scapegoat. Crosby is above all criticism here, some of the radio shows pretty much make love to his ego 24/7, but I digress. Here's what one person sent in via text message to a 24/7 sports talk radio talk show called The Fan (and it wasn't me): "Vanek and Myers for Malkin."

There are a lot of other teams being mentioned too, like Hemsky and Penner (I hate that player, I don't know why but I do) from the Oilers blah blah blah you get the idea.

Would you even consider that?

To me, and only having watched Myers play once in person and about 12 times on TV, he is above all trade speculation. I would not trade him for Crosby straight up, or even Ovechkin, or even Malkin. There's just NO WAY I could ever feel good about that deal, even if Malkin turned out to be even better here then in the Burgh. It's not because I think he is better than any of those players, or more exciting to watch play, but because I understand how rare and valuable a player like Myers is to a team. He's got 30 minute potential, shut down defensive potential, and PP quarterback potential. Even if he only realizes a fraction of that potential you absolutely NEED talented blue liners to go anywhere in the NHL, and for that I so no.

On a side note, it is my belief that once Crosby and Malkin each have their own teams to lead (like Ovechkin does) we lucky hockey fans will finally be able to figure out who's the best in the business. My money is on Malkin.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Shit, take Vanek and ANYONE ELSE besides Myers or Miller. ANYONE. Hell, take three.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

To clarify, I would absolutely take that deal. With the above mentioned stipulation.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:47 pm 
Star Sniper

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
To clarify, I would absolutely take that deal. With the above mentioned stipulation.

lol Then you're just saying "no" to that deal!

Crosby+Vanek=SCARY. I can't think of many wingers that would work better with Sid than Vanek, who is right up there with Hossa in my opinion and Hossa+Crosby was epic for the Penguins.

I would consider sending Vanek/Gausted/1st rounder for Geno.

Roy/Malkin/Kassian

yes....

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:35 am 
Franchise Defenseman

In my opinion... there is only one GM that has the balls to get a deal done for Geno... For some reason I just see Burke making that deal happen... I don't think there are many GMs as aggressive as Burke and it seems like a deal he would try and swing...

As for Buffalo going after him... you have to take Miller and Meyers off the table... and Id love to see Geno on a line with Vanek... but how could you get Geno with out giving up Vanek? Or Miller or Meyers....

You'd be pushing guys like Connelly/Roy .... Weber/Gregs/Sekra/Butler... Pommenville/Stafford etc... would it simply cost to much talent?

E X C E L L E N C E

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 am 
Penalty Killer

The only way to keep Vanek & Myers and net Malkin is to pay through the nose.

Pominville has to be the "top line winger" going to Pittsburgh.

The Pens have to get a boatload of good young guys, so Ennis is likely gone and maybe Kassian and Luke Adam as well.

The Pens might like some blueline help so Butler or Sekera and McNabb might be going as well.

And then the Sabres would have to throw in a 1st or two.

So basically:

Pominville, Ennis, Kassian, Butler, McNabb, & 2010 1st for Malkin

Somehow I don't see Regier paying that freight.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 pm 
Garbage Man

Jim Bob wrote:

The Pens have to get a boatload of good young guys, so Ennis is likely gone and maybe Kassian and Luke Adam as well.

The Pens might like some blueline help so Butler or Sekera and McNabb might be going as well.

So basically:

So your suggesting it would have to be a 1st line winger, a top six D, potentially two top six winger 1st round picks, a solid D prospect AND a 1st for Malkin? Not one team in the league is going to pay that much for the guy even if he is the next best thing to Crosby. Thats essentially gutting your team AND your farm system for one player. Not gonna happen

I think a more likely scenario would be

Vanek + Ennis/Kassian + Enroth and a 1st. Sounds more reasonable and I'd do it immediately.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:

So basically:

So your suggesting it would have to be a 1st line winger, a top six D, potentially two top six winger 1st round picks, a solid D prospect AND a 1st for Malkin? Not one team in the league is going to pay that much for the guy even if he is the next best thing to Crosby. Thats essentially gutting your team AND your farm system for one player. Not gonna happen

Vanek + Ennis/Kassian + Enroth and a 1st. Sounds more reasonable and I'd do it immediately.

I hate giving up the young guys... I like what Ennis showed... now are we a bit small on the top lines and prospects... sure... but i don't think Id give up Ennis... Im not sure what Id give up for Geno... its a tough call, because I see it as just being to steep of a hit to take... I think he needs his own team and i think he'd be great in buffalo, but i just think it would cost to much talent... current, future and picks... now if Darcy could badger the Pens into an amazing deal for the Sabres... great, but I don't see it happening... Stafford, Roy or Connelly, Gregs and a pick... lol... yeah right....

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:49 pm 
Star Sniper

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:

So basically:

They rambled on about the Vanek/Myers trade idea some more today. One of the guys on the show referred to Vanek as "old". What?! He's like 26, he's not even in his prime playing years yet!

I am loathe to part with Kassian but if it would put Geno in the blue and gold I would reluctantly agree. It might mean a couple lean years down the line but I think the Sabres are good at scouting, drafting, and developing talent so they would recover quickly.

Also, something more to think about. Most hockey fans outside of Pittsburgh (and most in it) probably don't know this about Malkin, but when Sid is out of the lineup he is EPIC. Conversely, when Geno is out the Penguins are completely lost. When he gets his own team he is going to really shine. I hope it's BVuffalo!

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:07 am 
Penalty Killer

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:

If the Pens move Malkin, then they will likely want a boatload of good young players in return for a guy that is in the top 5 of the best players in the game.

I doubt they shop him. He's got too much value to their team.

Plus, I think the Pens will want an impact d-man coming in as they have huge holes on the wing and on D, especially if they don't re-sign Gonchar.

If the Sabres called and I was the Pens, I'd stay away from Vanek or Pominville and ask for Myers+ for Malkin.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:19 am 
Star Sniper

Jim Bob wrote:
HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:

If the Pens move Malkin, then they will likely want a boatload of good young players in return for a guy that is in the top 5 of the best players in the game.

I doubt they shop him. He's got too much value to their team.

Plus, I think the Pens will want an impact d-man coming in as they have huge holes on the wing and on D, especially if they don't re-sign Gonchar.

If the Sabres called and I was the Pens, I'd stay away from Vanek or Pominville and ask for Myers+ for Malkin.

There's only about 5 teams that have an extra 8.7 million in cap space laying around and the Sabres are not one of them, so unless they LOVE Vanek it's not a realistic possibility. I can't think of many young wingers that would mesh better with Crosby than Vanek.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 am 
Penalty Killer

X-pensfan wrote:
There's only about 5 teams that have an extra 8.7 million in cap space laying around and the Sabres are not one of them, so unless they LOVE Vanek it's not a realistic possibility. I can't think of many young wingers that would mesh better with Crosby than Vanek.

How about Bobby Ryan, Alex Semin, Taylor Hall, David Booth, or Brad Boyes?

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:48 pm 
Star Sniper

Jim Bob wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

How about Bobby Ryan, Alex Semin, Taylor Hall, David Booth, or Brad Boyes?

Or Nash.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Malkin pisses me off way the fuck more than Crosby does. I'm sick of his bullshit stick work, and his tantrums are just as bad as Crosby's. How many times have we seen him slash the boards and head level a few feet from an opposing player just to be that kind of dick?

I hope Pittsburgh trades him and the Crosby beats his ass.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:25 pm 
Star Sniper

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:11 pm 
Star Sniper

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Malkin pisses me off way the fuck more than Crosby does. I'm sick of his bullshit stick work, and his tantrums are just as bad as Crosby's. How many times have we seen him slash the boards and head level a few feet from an opposing player just to be that kind of dick?

I hope Pittsburgh trades him and the Crosby beats his ass.

OMG I would LOVE to see that fight!

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:23 pm 
Superstar Goalie

We're never going to get someone of Malkin's ability in blue and gold while Quinn and Darcy call the shots. They're pussies.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:09 pm 
Star Sniper

Displaced Fan wrote:
We're never going to get someone of Malkin's ability in blue and gold while Quinn and Darcy call the shots. They're pussies.

Says the man with the Lion-O avatar. lol ;)