It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:24 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

DISCLAIMER:
1) I know it's not like Darcy to offer sheet an RFA
2) Please keep the "Eric Staal is a diving cunt" comments to a minimum (that means you, Alex)

The Rangers are having a publicly hard time trying to sign RFA LHD Marc Staal. He's a big hitter, a stay-at-home defenseman, and he eats minutes (23:07 avg TOI last season). As highly unlikely as it sounds, I wouldn't mind Darcy throwing an offer sheet at him to come here and play on the top pair with Myers, leaving Myers free to wheel and deal on the rush.

Thoughts?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i dunno, eric staal is a diving cunt.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I like the idea, and it might be a better option than Martin on the top pairing.

Obligatory

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:28 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

mechaphil wrote:
DISCLAIMER:
1) I know it's not like Darcy to offer sheet an RFA
2) Please keep the "Eric Staal is a diving cunt" comments to a minimum (that means you, Alex)

The Rangers are having a publicly hard time trying to sign RFA LHD Marc Staal. He's a big hitter, a stay-at-home defenseman, and he eats minutes (23:07 avg TOI last season). As highly unlikely as it sounds, I wouldn't mind Darcy throwing an offer sheet at him to come here and play on the top pair with Myers, leaving Myers free to wheel and deal on the rush.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, and he'd be a great upgrade over Hank and Lydman both, but my main concern is, what becomes of the Powerplay?

Staal isn't much of a PP QB, even though his work on the PK is a thing of beauty.

I dont mind the idea, but at 3M+ which he is likely to get, you're talking some serious draft pick compensation, and we dont really have the right pieces to trade there to put together the best case package for the NYR

So to sum it up, it's a great idea, but there are other options out there, that wouldnt result in giving up players or future draft picks, that could be had for about the same money.

Squanto 7/27/2010

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:28 pm 
Captain Dynasty

If we go

Myers - Staal/Martin
Montador - Michalek
Rivet - Butler

That gives us a pretty solid defense. Especially since I expect Rivet to rebound a bit being healthier, and as a result, Butler's play to improve as well.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm 
Captain Dynasty

heres my issue. im not willing to part with first round picks. why couldnt the sabres pull a trade off with the rags, say gerbe/grags + second round pick. just kicking tires here.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

For clarity's sake, the dish on compensation picks is (regarding the expected salary range for Staal this upcoming FA season):
<$3,119,539 - 2011 2nd round pick
>$3,119,539 - 2011 1st round pick, 2011 3rd round pick

I'd be OK with either of those (my guess is Staal is getting $3.5M and I'm fine with that number), but like Jay said, there are more options that may not require giving up picks even if they might be slightly more expensive.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:38 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
heres my issue. im not willing to part with first round picks. why couldnt the sabres pull a trade off with the rags, say gerbe/grags + second round pick. just kicking tires here.

I like the idea of sending prospects and a 2nd round pick to the Rags for Staal's rights for sure. This thread, after all, is for spitballing ideas so the more, the better.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:19 pm 
Power Forward

I also like the idea but we are talking about Darcy the guy isn't going to put any offer sheet on any RFA. I will be shocked if he goes after any top end unrestricted free agents! I just have a feeling he will be after low-level garbage like usual. Sorry I just don't have faith in the guy at all.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Did you bother to read the disclaimer? This thread isn't designed to devolve into a discourse on how Darcy is too conservative to do anything shocking;it's a thread designed to promote ideas and thoughts.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
Captain Dynasty

SabresBillsFan wrote:
I also like the idea but we are talking about Darcy the guy isn't going to put any offer sheet on any RFA. I will be shocked if he goes after any top end unrestricted free agents! I just have a feeling he will be after low-level garbage like usual. Sorry I just don't have faith in the guy at all.

Why don't you just save yourself the work and put Darcy Sucks in your signature. Then we can all be continually informed of your opinion without your need to add absolutely nothing to a thread and pissing half a dozen people off.

Jesus fucking christ contribute something to a thread, find a new schtick, light yourself on fire, light darcy on fire, do SOMETHING more entertaining than parrot the same half formed thought in every god damned thread.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:31 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Darcy sucks

:dance:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

easy fellas.

phil, have you considered my idea to call darcys office and leave a voice mail?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:41 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I haven't really, but I've been thinking about it here and there. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? His secretary ignores my message? Oh well.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

oh no, they send you through to his voice mail, he will get it. i used to play secretary to the wings GM, and id always field the calls from opposing teams GMs (including stan drulia, who played for the lightning in the late 90s, 2000s)

they arnt as blockaded as youd think. hit the right buttons on a phone, and boom. you are in. its a matter of finding the right numbers, and getting the right person, at the right time. its not that hard, shockingly.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 pm 
Power Forward

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:

Why don't you just save yourself the work and put Darcy Sucks in your signature. Then we can all be continually informed of your opinion without your need to add absolutely nothing to a thread and pissing half a dozen people off.

Jesus fucking christ contribute something to a thread, find a new schtick, light yourself on fire, light darcy on fire, do SOMETHING more entertaining than parrot the same half formed thought in every god damned thread.

I have my opinion and you have yours but face it Darcy hasn't done anything to improve this team, he's never proactive and seems to sit back and wait and wait to do things. Sorry but look at what's going on teams that want to win are being proactive. You think Boston is just sitting there and doing nothing. Lets see Seguin and Horton are their first additions and I don't think their done. Montreal makes a trade to jump up in front of Buffalo to grab Tinordi. If Buffalo had players in mind in the first round then Darcy needs to be proactive and make a move you just can't sit their and hope your guy falls in your lap.
I'm just pissed because Buffalo has a great fanbase, sells out almost every home game and has a tons of fans all over and this team settles for being mediocre. There is no reason why Buffalo should be run like this. If you had proper management in place and they change how the organization is run then maybe players would want to come here.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:59 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

If you want to piss and moan about Darcy, by all means, feel free to do it.

IN YOUR OWN THREAD.

Phil specifically said this thread was about the possibility of getting the player, not a Darcy bitch fest.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

..so uh.. how bout them lakers?

sabresEH
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:04 pm 
Garbage Man

I would love Marc Staal.
Thats all I have to say about that.

Eh

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:09 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

sabresEH wrote:
I would love Marc Staal.
Thats all I have to say about that.

Simply put, cheers to that.

Now, what're your thoughts on a Staal-Myers pair?