It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

mechaphil
 Post subject: Re: Blake Wheeler?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:12 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Sabres aren't getting Jordan Staal, a C, unless the give up Pominville and a top prospect. Is he worth it? I'd say not. Wheeler has a lower risk/reward quotient.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Pominville and Gerbe for Staal? Heck yes!

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

When I say top prospect, I mean Ennis or Kassian. There's no way Shero sees Pominville + Gerbe and says yes.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:46 pm 
Cup Winner

Kennedy got 1 million, now do you see why I keep saying Blake Wheeler will in no way get over 2 million.

I fully expect him to get awarded in the 1.5 million range, if not a bit lower.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:53 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

If Wheeler gets less than $2M, which I'm on board in thinking he will, I don't see the Sabres going after him now.

With Kennedy in the fold, there's only one undecided line IMO - so who plays with Vanek and Roy? There are two reasonable outcomes and one outside outcome (which frankly, I don't see happening) - either Ennis takes Stafford's job and he goes...anywhere else, Stafford keeps his job but Ennis performs well enough to force someone to get traded, or (here's the random-ass outside chance) Kassian performs so well in camp that he earns his ELC and a pro tryout.

Honestly, I see Ennis lining up at LW with Roy and Vanek on the RW on opening night.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:55 pm 
Cup Winner

I agree too, I don't think we should go after Blake Wheeler unless Boston walks away and he specifically asks Darcy about a contract.

I'm sure Ennis isn't going back to Portand, and Gerbe is looking like he's going to take a roster spot somehow. It is all up to the players and how well the perform in camp.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 pm 
Star Sniper

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bru ... ts_22.html

Wheeler gets 2.2 mil, but Boston is expected to sign him. We'll find out tomorrow or Monday.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:28 pm 
Star Sniper

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/07/wheeler_nets_22.html

Wheeler gets 2.2 mil, but Boston is expected to sign him. We'll find out tomorrow or Monday.

Wow, that's a steal. Of course they will sign him. Wheeler got jobbed.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 pm 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I agree too, I don't think we should go after Blake Wheeler unless Boston walks away and he specifically asks Darcy about a contract.

I'm sure Ennis isn't going back to Portand, and Gerbe is looking like he's going to take a roster spot somehow. It is all up to the players and how well the perform in camp.

I tell you what, Stafford better be training HARD this summer if he wants to make the team.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 pm 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

I tell you what, Stafford better be training HARD this summer if he wants to make the team.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:51 am 
Cup Winner

X-pensfan wrote:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/07/wheeler_nets_22.html

If he had played for 20 goals both season and had over 40 points his second season I'd agree that is spot on.

But Stafford has more hits, and had 4 less points than Wheeler and had 45 the year before also. and earns 1.5, and he earned that contract after he got 45 points.

Wheeler is getting overpaid and Boston will need to move someone for that salary to fit in next year.

2.2 is too much for Wheeler. Under 2 million is fine, but 2.2 million is high, too high.

Rud wrote:

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:03 am 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

If he had played for 20 goals both season and had over 40 points his second season I'd agree that is spot on.

But Stafford has more hits, and had 4 less points than Wheeler and had 45 the year before also. and earns 1.5, and he earned that contract after he got 45 points.

Wheeler is getting overpaid and Boston will need to move someone for that salary to fit in next year.

2.2 is too much for Wheeler. Under 2 million is fine, but 2.2 million is high, too high.

I think the ceiling was about 5 or 6 mill lower when Staff signed, so thats a factor.