It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:55 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Giroux signed for just under 4 million/year, a little bit more then I thought but a a lot less than what Shesh suggested. :)

I agree, and it shocked me, good call X-pensfan. It changes the entire dynamics of the situation in Philly. I bow to your cap prowess, but, bare in mind, I'm a stubborn son-of-a-bitch, so I hope you don't mind kind of lining up the more reasonable numbers for me as a post my dribble. :dance:

Not at all, and I'll be less of a dick about it too. ;) ;)

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 am 
Garbage Man

sabresEH wrote:
I think we would go over our budget if we did this.

Our budget is okay in cap space. We just need to shed some of it tied up in bad players we will not need after 2011.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:20 am 
Garbage Man

gr8daygo wrote:
I like some of the moves... i don't like giving up 1st 2011... 1st 2012 ... 2nd 2010... I think they Sabres historically value the top round picks...

Any team values its top round picks when they have them, draft well, and their picks blossom. Drafting now to win later is clear, but winning now to win later should take precedence.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:25 am 
Garbage Man

slesh wrote:
I would make the following moves immediately.

To BUF: Jeff Carter
To PHI: Drew Stafford, 1st rd pick 2011, 2nd rd pick 2012

Carter has been forced to the wing in Philly and it is showing. He is a natural Center, not so good on the wing.
Philly needs an inexpensive winger. Stafford fits that discription.
5 mil for this season than RFA, resign him for 5 to 5.5 for 3 to 5 seasons.
Connolly's replacement.
Can score goals, works extremely hard, physical and has a decent skill set.
My line for Carter: Ennis (LW) - Carter (C) - Pomminville (RW)

To BUF: Dustin Penner
To EDM: Jhonas Enroth, Mike Weber, 1st rd pick 2012

Edmonton will be looking for players like these and a pick.
4.25 mil for 2 seasons (including this one).
Penner is that big body Roy and Vanek need and has a nose for the net.
Weber and Enroth will compete for starting positions, Enroth would especially intrigue Edmonton. Its a good fit as Edmonton looks to continue its rebuild with some youth.
My line for Penner: Vanek (LW) - Roy (C) - Penner (RW)

To BUF: 2nd rd pick 2011, 3rd rd pick 2012
To CLB: Tim Connolly

Columbus needs help at Center desperately. This would be a very good fit for them.
Buffalo needs to garner back a couple of draft picks. Could end being a 4th rd pick in 2012 if necessary.
This also serves as a 4.5 mil salary dump and Columbus has plenty of cap space to resign Timmy.
Dumping Connolly's salary makes picking up Carter and Penner's combined 9.25 mil only a 4.75 mil increase.

These are the moves I would make immediately. Not wait for the deadline.

Those would be great moves. Foregoing high round draft picks for two years is a risk, but winning now to win later is something that must be done to remain competitive, maintain interest, and attract FAs here who want to help us win.

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabretooth wrote:
slesh wrote:

Carter has been forced to the wing in Philly and it is showing. He is a natural Center, not so good on the wing.
Connolly's replacement.

Weber and Enroth will compete for starting positions, Enroth would especially intrigue Edmonton. Its a good fit as Edmonton looks to continue its rebuild with some youth.

Columbus needs help at Center desperately. This would be a very good fit for them.
Buffalo needs to garner back a couple of draft picks. Could end being a 4th rd pick in 2012 if necessary.
This also serves as a 4.5 mil salary dump and Columbus has plenty of cap space to resign Timmy.
Dumping Connolly's salary makes picking up Carter and Penner's combined 9.25 mil only a 4.75 mil increase.

Those would be great moves. Foregoing high round draft picks for two years is a risk, but winning now to win later is something that must be done to remain competitive, maintain interest, and attract FAs here who want to help us win.

Ya, the Carter move is off the table though. With Giroux signing for much, much less than I had thought he would. Hell, Philly got a steal of a deal in the signing for under 4 mil a season. But, with Giroux signing for much less, Philly's cap situation isn't as dire as it would have been had he signed for the going rate. Especially given his production and continued development as a "clutch" player for them.

The Penner deal can now be changed, actually, everything would change now.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:30 am 
Franchise Defenseman

slesh wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:
slesh wrote:

Connolly's replacement.

Ya, the Carter move is off the table though. With Giroux signing for much, much less than I had thought he would. Hell, Philly got a steal of a deal in the signing for under 4 mil a season. But, with Giroux signing for much less, Philly's cap situation isn't as dire as it would have been had he signed for the going rate. Especially given his production and continued development as a "clutch" player for them.

The Penner deal can now be changed, actually, everything would change now.

So back to the drawing board... MALKIN!!! lol... Backus.... or .... uuummmm ???? I say go big or go home, get Malkin... of course with Staal hurt (is he still out?) or banged up, I dont see it happening...

what about Iggy? Could be that player that needs a change and shows up here and rips it up... or it could be $7 mill we would have to eat for 3 years....

who else?

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I see alot of posts on Ignila and his possible availability, and I would love to see him in Blue and Gold.

I'll have to remake "Slesh's roster moves", but, tonight is a night to celebrate 40 years of existence for me, I made it to the big 40. :)

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 am 
Franchise Defenseman

slesh wrote:
I see alot of posts on Ignila and his possible availability, and I would love to see him in Blue and Gold.

I'll have to remake "Slesh's roster moves", but, tonight is a night to celebrate 40 years of existence for me, I made it to the big 40. :)

happy birthday man! hows 40 feel? lol...

Iggy is an interesting take... how would he do in a Ruff system? would his cap number ($7 mill per) hurt us in signing other players in the future? Can a team have two $7 mill dollar men and not end up like the Devils?

But all that can be taken up tomm! Happy freaking birthday...

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 am 
Franchise Defenseman

gr8daygo wrote:
slesh wrote:

happy birthday man! hows 40 feel? lol...

Iggy is an interesting take... how would he do in a Ruff system? would his cap number ($7 mill per) hurt us in signing other players in the future? Can a team have two $7 mill dollar men and not end up like the Devils?

But all that can be taken up tomm! Happy freaking birthday...

Thanks man.
Good question on the money. I don't know really. I look at a guy like Brad Richards and I have asked myself, how would the Sabres fit his roughly 8 mil a season salary on the roster.
Can it be done? I think so, Pittsburg has Malkin and Crosby, but those 2 are real impact players.
I would love to see Richards centering Vanek and ?. The RW remains elusive for me.

But, I am hoping Darcy does something this season, even if by the deadline.
I was over at www.portlandpirates.com this morning reviewing the player stats for our youth.
Outside of Mancari and Adam I didn't see a whole lot of offensive output there.

I would like to see Mancari as the 3rd line RW next season and Adam as the 2nd line Center.
As for the rest of the line make ups, your guess is as good as mine.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:51 am 
Superstar Goalie

I really *hope* Kassian can fit in there as well.

Carubba Kaleta
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 am 
First Rounder

Darcy has plenty of options for trades, if only Quinn would let him take on more salary. Any team trying to re-build would take draft picks. These are some of the players I would go after if I was GM.

Ales Hemskey RW 4.1 mil
Dustin Penner RW 4.25 mil
Stephen Weiss C 3.1 mil
Jarome Iginla RW 7 mil
Blake Wheeler RW 2.2 mil
Shane Doan RW 4.5 mil

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 pm 
Garbage Man

gr8daygo wrote:
So back to the drawing board... MALKIN!!! lol... Backus.... or .... uuummmm ???? I say go big or go home, get Malkin... of course with Staal hurt (is he still out?) or banged up, I dont see it happening...

what about Iggy? Could be that player that needs a change and shows up here and rips it up... or it could be $7 mill we would have to eat for 3 years....

who else?

The odds of Malkin being traded are the same as Crosby, Fluery, Staal, and Orpik. The Penguins are geared up to win its fourth Stanley Cup.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:55 pm 
Garbage Man

Carubba Kaleta wrote:
Darcy has plenty of options for trades, if only Quinn would let him take on more salary. Any team trying to re-build would take draft picks. These are some of the players I would go after if I was GM.

Ales Hemskey RW 4.1 mil
Dustin Penner RW 4.25 mil
Stephen Weiss C 3.1 mil
Jarome Iginla RW 7 mil
Blake Wheeler RW 2.2 mil
Shane Doan RW 4.5 mil

Doan will likely stay and retire in Phoenix. Weiss and Penner/Hemskey interest me with talent and cost.

slesh
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Title 2:
Roster Moves; The Trade Deadline and upcoming off season.

I now firmly believe we are not going to see any significant moves to improve the teams chances for a playoff run this season. With 17 games on the books (just over 20% of the season) it is more than enough to look at potential scenairio's for the remainder of this season and, subsequently, the off season mode.

I believe Regier will trade Connolly and Stafford as well as 1 of the young defenseman at the trade deadline to maximize returns. I believe he will go for draft picks and/or prospects as the "new" youth movement continues for this team.

Luke Adam and Zach Kassian will most likely be with the big club next season, effectively replacing a Center and RW position.
I also believe we will see Mancari up on line 3 RW position next season. I know many feel he disappears when he brought up, I disagree. I believe he hasn't been given enough time up with the big club to adjust. I also believe he has more than paid his dues in the AHL.
I see the most critical missing component is a line 3 Center. UFA? Maybe.
But I also see atleast a couple of 2nd rd picks and maybe more for Connolly and Stafford. If they move one of the young D men I can see Darcy trading up for a 1st rounder.

My guess is at this rate, the Sabres could have a top 10 pick and another 1st rounder, maybe top 15 to with atleast one 2nd rounder.

Thats my best guess for now.

slesh
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

They're in Edmonton, with Penner or Hemsky, which ever one is going to be moved. And at this point, it looks like Penner.

If i'm Regier, I pull the trigger to bring in Penner for Stafford and Butler + a pick (2nd rounder, and why not, Darcy gives them away at the deadline anyways).
Edmonton needs a young, stay at home type D man. And Stafford is a good RW addition for them at a reasonable price.

I then trade Connolly and Rivet for draft picks or prospects to who ever will pay the most.
Call up Luke Adam to replace Connolly at Center on line 2 and put Ennis on the LW.

Vanek - Roy - Penner
Ennis - Adam - Pomminville

There you go, shed salary with moving Connolly, Stafford and Rivet, brought in an ELC in Luke Adam and added Penner's 4.25 mil. Its a cost savings for the team and actually puts a better product on the ice IMHO.

Will Regier do this? Of course not, he's in love with his players, but it should be done none the less.

daz28
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 pm 
Star Sniper

Penner is the top goal guy on a team that can't get out of its own way. Sure they got young talent, but I don't trade my top gun at this point, when they youngins are still unproven. I also don't see Darcy making any trades with EDM any time soon.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:38 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Is Alexander Semin a UFA this year? If we ever signed him I'd be happy for weeks.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 pm 
PP Quarterback

slesh wrote:
They're in Edmonton, with Penner or Hemsky, which ever one is going to be moved. And at this point, it looks like Penner.

If i'm Regier, I pull the trigger to bring in Penner for Stafford and Butler + a pick (2nd rounder, and why not, Darcy gives them away at the deadline anyways).
Edmonton needs a young, stay at home type D man. And Stafford is a good RW addition for them at a reasonable price.

I then trade Connolly and Rivet for draft picks or prospects to who ever will pay the most.
Call up Luke Adam to replace Connolly at Center on line 2 and put Ennis on the LW.

Vanek - Roy - Penner

There you go, shed salary with moving Connolly, Stafford and Rivet, brought in an ELC in Luke Adam and added Penner's 4.25 mil. Its a cost savings for the team and actually puts a better product on the ice IMHO.

Will Regier do this? Of course not, he's in love with his players, but it should be done none the less.

Slesh. I agree that Regier should make moves, but the moves you're asking for are ridiculous, particularly because Edmonton more than likely isn't interested in dealing Penner, and Darcy isn't interested in a player like Penner. A trade is not one way.

@TJLuckman550

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:51 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
slesh wrote:

Vanek - Roy - Penner

Slesh. I agree that Regier should make moves, but the moves you're asking for are ridiculous, particularly because Edmonton more than likely isn't interested in dealing Penner, and Darcy isn't interested in a player like Penner. A trade is not one way.

Wait......What?
All I'm asking for is a giant Christmas Gift for us Buffalo Sabres fan.........and now you go and tell me the guy in the square rimmed glasses named Darcy Regier (aka "No Nuts") isn't Santa Claus?

Well that sucks......
Why don't you kick my dog while your at it.... ;)