It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

slesh
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:47 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Slesh, I can't tell if you're insane, stupid, or funny. But it's definitely at least one of the three.

How old are you?

Putting aside your deduction of me personally, I'll answer your question.

I am 40 years old. Or will be in a couple of months.

And since you have seen fit to attack my opinion, let me reciprocate your sentiments by pointing out the obvious, your comment in your post was just a wee bit childish. I don't need to know your age, it shows in the post.

Now that you feel like you've "put someone in their place" can we move on to the conversation of throwing ideas out there to "improve a limp dick roster", or is it too much for you to handle?

Okay then. Let's take a look at the Carter deal.

25 year old 40 goal scorer with one of the nastiest, sickest, wickedest shots in hockey. The Flyers draft well, they have en excellent stable of young talent and no need to stock pile high round draft picks. They have their cap under control. Carter will be RFA next season and will likely fit into their cap for the long term.

Stafford, is 24, at his best he can't score more points then Carter can score goals in a season. Based on their history, there is absolutely no way to look at this trade as something that would benefit the Flyers, a team that went to the SCF last season and is trying to do so again this season. In short, this trade proposal is either childish, insane, stupid, or funny.

The Connolly dump is the only deal the other team would even consider making, but that would have only made sense if they signed a top 2 center last summer.

Thank you for responding to the content of the post. I agree with some of your assesment, and I would be open to moving more components either via picks or prospects for Carter if I were Darcy Regier.

Once again, by no means are my opinions anything but retrospect on the current roster in so far as needs and availability.
Its a forgone conclusion that Carter will not be resigned in Philly by some, not so by others. One thing is clear in Philly, they are going to have to clear some cap space come next season if they expect to resign Giroux for what he is going to be asking for.

Connolly trade is one I am looking at as well as realistic, especially with Columbuses well documented Center needs.
My take on that is, if we are to bring in no other talent and drop Connolly early in the season to maximize his return potential (after all, he would not be worth as much at the deadline given his contract expires at seasons end) then Darcy is clearly taking a risk that his management team can land a big UFA this off season at Center. I find this highly unlikely, and after being rebuffed by both Koivu and Cullen this off season, I am sure Darcy knows this as well.

My question would be, if we are going to dump Connolly and not make a run this season, and there is no targeted Center to truly help this teams scoring line, what strategy does the organization take then? Does it look to rebuild from within and begin to trade all of the assets at 29 or older in the next 2 seasons for draft picks or prospects? (i.e. Pommers, Connolly, Hecht, Vanek and Roy).

slesh
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

gr8daygo wrote:
I like some of the moves... i don't like giving up 1st 2011... 1st 2012 ... 2nd 2010... I think they Sabres historically value the top round picks...

With that said... I have always liked Carter! I think he is the exact type of player that we need... and as you say, as much as i am a timmy homer, it may be time for him to move on... To many small centers... Carter would bring some size....

I cant speak to Penner... I know he is the guy Edm poached from the Ducks... is his money out of wack?

And who or what else can we give up besides Weber... I like Weber... and whats you plan to replace Enroth? Is there anyone else (G) in the system and how far away are they?

AND with all of that said... i think the Sabres need a shake up... i know there are a few new parts... but i still think the size (or lack there of) will catch up to us in the play-offs... and I think it time they fix the Vanek not having a proper winger....

but they wont do anything... they will ride it out... Ruff will get them into the playoffs.... and who knows which officiating crew will show up...

You make valid points.
I'd like to respond to the one about replacing Enroth. This is a real concern, but, the decision would have to be made by Regier and his management team if he is going to attempt to go for it all while Miller is in his prime, or do yet another rebuild and start dumping some of the so called core he built this last time.

It really does come down to Regier having to decide, and all of this of course, is based on my assumption that Regier will be back with a new 3 year contract with Lindy in tow as well for the same amount of time.
What if though, what if Regier is gone after this season? What can be done by a new GM to improve the team both short and long term.

The truth is gr8daygo, I don't know which way it is going to go at the end of this season as far as the front office goes.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Slesh, I can't tell if you're insane, stupid, or funny. But it's definitely at least one of the three.

How old are you?

And since you have seen fit to attack my opinion, let me reciprocate your sentiments by pointing out the obvious, your comment in your post was just a wee bit childish. I don't need to know your age, it shows in the post.

Now that you feel like you've "put someone in their place" can we move on to the conversation of throwing ideas out there to "improve a limp dick roster", or is it too much for you to handle?

25 year old 40 goal scorer with one of the nastiest, sickest, wickedest shots in hockey. The Flyers draft well, they have en excellent stable of young talent and no need to stock pile high round draft picks. They have their cap under control. Carter will be RFA next season and will likely fit into their cap for the long term.

Stafford, is 24, at his best he can't score more points then Carter can score goals in a season. Based on their history, there is absolutely no way to look at this trade as something that would benefit the Flyers, a team that went to the SCF last season and is trying to do so again this season. In short, this trade proposal is either childish, insane, stupid, or funny.

The Connolly dump is the only deal the other team would even consider making, but that would have only made sense if they signed a top 2 center last summer.

Thank you for responding to the content of the post. I agree with some of your assesment, and I would be open to moving more components either via picks or prospects for Carter if I were Darcy Regier.

Once again, by no means are my opinions anything but retrospect on the current roster in so far as needs and availability.
Its a forgone conclusion that Carter will not be resigned in Philly by some, not so by others. One thing is clear in Philly, they are going to have to clear some cap space come next season if they expect to resign Giroux for what he is going to be asking for.

Connolly trade is one I am looking at as well as realistic, especially with Columbuses well documented Center needs.
My take on that is, if we are to bring in no other talent and drop Connolly early in the season to maximize his return potential (after all, he would not be worth as much at the deadline given his contract expires at seasons end) then Darcy is clearly taking a risk that his management team can land a big UFA this off season at Center. I find this highly unlikely, and after being rebuffed by both Koivu and Cullen this off season, I am sure Darcy knows this as well.

My question would be, if we are going to dump Connolly and not make a run this season, and there is no targeted Center to truly help this teams scoring line, what strategy does the organization take then? Does it look to rebuild from within and begin to trade all of the assets at 29 or older in the next 2 seasons for draft picks or prospects? (i.e. Pommers, Connolly, Hecht, Vanek and Roy).

I still maintain that the "content of your post" is 10th grade Sega masturbation, and you should stop.

They aren't going to dump Carter to sign Giroux, Zherdov's 2 million could easily go towards Giroux, and it's not clear on whether or not Carter will even command what he's making now. Even if they did want to move Carter it wont be for Stafford or any combination thereof. And even if your wildest dream came true, what then? The Sabres will pay another 70-80 point guy 5 million to replace the 70-80 Connolly would put up at 4 million. And oh yeah, Carter is pretty much a playoff flop, so not much of an upgrade there either. And did you know that he doesn't play tough and gets ragged on for phoning it in? Remind you of anybody you know?

The team got better over the summer, they picked up valuable playoff experience last spring, and they are going through an early test and it's up to the players to band together and pull through this. This isn't knee jerk Sega trade time no matter how smart you think you are.

Unless the trade involves Malkin...

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Last edited by X-pensfan on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 pm 
Garbage Man

Squanto wrote:
slesh wrote:
sabresEH wrote:
I think we would go over our budget if we did this.

Current cap space availability: $4,897,976

So, Connolly would have to be moved in order to do both Penner and Carter.
If Connolly is not moved, then only Penner at $4.25 mil could fit under the current cap.

Moving Connolly is obviously a critical move to make anything happen at Center.

Cap space is not relevant. Darcy already said that they have an internal budget, and they went over it with the Morrisonn signing. I doubt that they do anything unless they shed salary.

Thanks Squanto, obviously he missed my part saying OUR budget.

Eh

slesh
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

How old are you?

I still maintain that the "content of your post" is 10th grade Sega masturbation, and you should stop.

They aren't going to dump Carter to sign Giroux, Zherdov's 2 million could easily go towards Giroux, and it's not clear on whether or not Carter will even command what he's making now. Even if they did want to move Carter it wont be for Stafford or any combination thereof. And even if your wildest dream came true, what then? The Sabres will pay another 70-80 point guy 5 million to replace the 70-80 Connolly would put up at 4 million. And oh yeah, Carter is pretty much a playoff flop, so not much of an upgrade there either. And did you know that he doesn't play tough and gets ragged on for phoning it in? Remind you of anybody you know?

The team got better over the summer, they picked up valuable playoff experience last spring, and they are going through an early test and it's up to the players to band together and pull through this. This isn't knee jerk Sega trade time no matter how smart you think you are.

Well then, my take on your point of view is to go take some real world business courses and focus on a couple of areas, namely math and budgeting classes. You seem to be in some fantasy land if you actually believe the dribble your spouting on Philly's Cap situation come next season. They're going to have to move someone and given their depth at center both with the big club and in the pipeline, Carter is the logical choice.

Philly isn't Buffalo, they want to win, and they aren't New Jersey, they don't like to put themselves in a cap pickle.
Take a look around, they have already shown they'll move players to keep a competitive product at an affordable price on the ice.

Go back to school.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:24 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The only two players that Buffalo could offer Philly to get Carter would be Myers or Miller. Nobody else has enough value, even if you throw in draft picks.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Aside from our clear cap issue, I DO NOT LIKE THIS!

Here's why, you mortgage away 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick, those are 3 future players to our team. Especially when you look at the current age of some of our players.

Rivet, Hecht, Grier, Nieds, Roy, Connolly, Montador, Butler, Weber, Sekera, Gaustad, McCormick, and Kaleta all have contracts expiring when those players would be ready to step in. You're talking about eliminating 13/20 players potentially from our roster, and not having anyone of significance other than Kassian, Adam, and possibly Pysyk ready to step in in that time frame. Given the clear difficulty of attracting free agents to coming to Buffalo, why would we sell our future for 2 players who would be potential UFAs in the very near future?

Squanto 7/27/2010

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:17 am 
Superstar Goalie

Because we keep hedging our bets on our "up and comers"... it ain't working.

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:30 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
The only two players that Buffalo could offer Philly to get Carter would be Myers or Miller. Nobody else has enough value, even if you throw in draft picks.

You may be correct Squanto. Its only my opinion that I am touting.
Then again, I may be correct.

Its all good and nice to attempt to see who would fit into the Sabres roster to help boost not only production on individual lines, but who will step in as a "true" leader in the locker room and on the ice, but many are correct on here, without pressure on Regier from the fan base itself, nothing will change.

This topic was merely started by myself to not only say what I would attempt to force Darcy to do (maybe not the same players, but the concept of chosing between make a run now, or continue this obviously failed policy of build for the future) but to also hear sincere counter points on what others feel should be done via moves, if any.

Its painfully obvious, even excluding these past 6 games of this season, that this team is not a contender for Lord Stanley's Cup.
I have agreed with you on the "competitive product" idea, and I will not use 6 games to establish they have failed. I will, however, use the past 4 seasons as my foundation to point out that, although last season was an improvement, it was all Miller, with some help from a player or 2, and as such should not be used as the tool of measurement for this season given the factual lack of needed improvements for this current roster.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:36 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

How old are you?

Well then, my take on your point of view is to go take some real world business courses and focus on a couple of areas, namely math and budgeting classes. You seem to be in some fantasy land if you actually believe the dribble your spouting on Philly's Cap situation come next season. They're going to have to move someone and given their depth at center both with the big club and in the pipeline, Carter is the logical choice.

Philly isn't Buffalo, they want to win, and they aren't New Jersey, they don't like to put themselves in a cap pickle.
Take a look around, they have already shown they'll move players to keep a competitive product at an affordable price on the ice.

Go back to school.

You took a business course so you could talk tough about the NHL cap on message boards? That's just sad.

Dude, what part of Zherdov walks away via UFA and that 2 million goes towards keeping Giroux happy do you have trouble understanding? What, you think he's gonna get more than 3 million/year? Not on this contract, not unless he posts 65+ points and that's not happening. And again, it's possible they may retain Carter for 4.5 or 4 instead of the 5 he's making now. At least for another year or two. Their cap situation is stable, anybody with 5th grade math comprehension can see that.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Last edited by X-pensfan on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm 
Cup Winner

I agree too, the Flyers are not in any trouble with their cap for next year and Carter won't go anywhere.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
You took a business course so you could talk tough about the NHL cap on message boards? That's just sad.

Dude, what part of Zherdov walks away via UFA and that 2 million goes towards keeping Giroux happy do you have trouble understanding? What, you think he's gonna get more than 3 million/year? Not on this contract, not unless he posts 65+ points and that's not happening. And again, it's possible they may retain Carter for 4.5 or 4 instead of the 5 he's making now. At least for another year or two. Their cap situation is stable, anybody with 5th grade math comprehension can see that.

Took a business course? Who ever said I took "A" business course?
As for your fantasy thoughts of Philly retaining him for 4 to 4.5, you dream. Look at his numbers combined with his physical play.
His +/- has only been in the negative twice in his career.
He is a leader while he's on the ice.
4 to 5 mil for a resign? :naughty:
Not happening. He'll go for 6+ mil if he crests 40 goals again.

Here is your "business course" math:
Philly's projected next season salary without resigning any of their 8 UFA/RFA players - $12,536,904
Giroux is under 1 mil in his final season on his ELC. He is going to command a minimum of 3 mil, more likely 4 mil if his numbers and play keep the pace they are at now.
Carcillo is going to get resigned for 2.5 mil or so.
Powe is going to command a 2 mil salary if his play keeps up, and there is no reason to think any of these players won't keep their current play up.
So thats 3 players right there for a minimum of 5.5 mil maximum could be around 6.8 mil depending if they can keep the pace up.
Remember, thats 3 out of 8 players.
Zherdev is a none factor.
Even if they went with 3 more ELC's, that still puts them over the cap with Carter's projected contract by 2+ mil.
It really is that simple.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

As for your fantasy thoughts of Philly retaining him for 4 to 4.5, you dream. Look at his numbers combined with his physical play.

Philly's projected next season salary without resigning any of their 8 UFA/RFA players - $12,536,904
Giroux is under 1 mil in his final season on his ELC. He is going to command a minimum of 3 mil, more likely 4 mil if his numbers and play keep the pace they are at now.
Powe is going to command a 2 mil salary if his play keeps up, and there is no reason to think any of these players won't keep their current play up.
So thats 3 players right there for a minimum of 5.5 mil maximum could be around 6.8 mil depending if they can keep the pace up.
Even if they went with 3 more ELC's, that still puts them over the cap with Carter's projected contract by 2+ mil.

Zherdev makes 2 million dollars against their cap this year, how the fuck is that a "non-factor"? You jerk. He's a gap player that will be stricken from their books next season. His 2 million will be added onto what Giroux is making now, that's paying your butt buddy nearly 3 million for his Stafford like production without dumping Carter for Stafford. And I guess since Giroux will make 4 million Stafford will too so why would they want to trade one cap problem for another?

Carter is RFA next year, he will sign a 1 or 2 year deal with Philly (NTC) for 4-5 million and then tests free agency, that's when he goes for the 6+ million and his choice of team.

You think they are going to break the bank on Carcillo and Powe? They will take what's offered to them or they wont be resigned.

If there is one team in the NHL that knows how to work a cap it's the Flyers. Gagne was traded, Carter is staying. Take your retarded business course trash talk and cram it up your butt hole.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:45 pm 
Hart Winner

Wow X-pensfan. That comment was... Interesting.

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

Zherdev makes 2 million dollars against their cap this year, how the fuck is that a "non-factor"? You jerk. He's a gap player that will be stricken from their books next season. His 2 million will be added onto what Giroux is making now, that's paying your butt buddy nearly 3 million for his Stafford like production without dumping Carter for Stafford. And I guess since Giroux will make 4 million Stafford will too so why would they want to trade one cap problem for another?

Carter is RFA next year, he will sign a 1 or 2 year deal with Philly (NTC) for 4-5 million and then tests free agency, that's when he goes for the 6+ million and his choice of team.

You think they are going to break the bank on Carcillo and Powe? They will take what's offered to them or they wont be resigned.

If there is one team in the NHL that knows how to work a cap it's the Flyers. Gagne was traded, Carter is staying. Take your retarded business course trash talk and cram it up your butt hole.

Why don't you skate on over to N.T. and try and cram it up my butthole for me.
Since you've decided to go hostile, don't be a half asser, see it through to completion.
As for your comments on what you think is going to happen, its possible, unlikely, but possible.
Your failure is in taking stock of the pipeline of centers Philly has and it shows.

Carter is worth much more to Philly in prospects/picks then a continuation of salary that is assured to go higher than 5 mil.
Hell, I want what your smokin, why in the hell would he sign for less than what he's currentl making?

Zherdev's salary was one of the 8 that I included, you moron. Grow a brain, but first, please, oh please, grow a set and roll on over to N.T. so you can speak so elegantly to me in person, I'd love it.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

Since you've decided to go hostile, don't be a half asser, see it through to completion.
As for your comments on what you think is going to happen, its possible, unlikely, but possible.
Your failure is in taking stock of the pipeline of centers Philly has and it shows.

Carter is worth much more to Philly in prospects/picks then a continuation of salary that is assured to go higher than 5 mil.
Hell, I want what your smokin, why in the hell would he sign for less than what he's currentl making?

Hey I'm sorry, I took this thread to nasty town. You were getting on my nerves for whatever reason. I'm cool now, nothing personal.

If Carter signs a one year RFA deal he would get a chance to hit UFA at a very young age, and that's how you get the outrageous bucks. The Flyers would get another financially motivated season (like this year should be for him) from him, while at the same time doing him a favor by offering a one year (possibly two) deal. Everybody knows that UFA deals are always overpriced for stars because of the bidding. A team like the Islanders might even offer him 7, especially considering the fact that he would still only be like 27.

When it's RFA, the Flyers have the leverage. NO WAY will they pay him over 5 million, they would go to arbitration first and likely win (although that largely depends on what he does this season and if he really wants to be the overpaid goat in a town like Philly). And another thing, the Flyers are close to the ceiling. so if somebody comes in and offers more then they are willing to pay you got yourself a stock pile of first rounders anyways.

So you see, it's not logical for them to trade Carter. it would be most illogical in fact.

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm 
Star Sniper

As the affluent Chinese internet using class says,...

"Crowzed"

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
slesh wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

Hey I'm sorry, I took this thread to nasty town. You were getting on my nerves for whatever reason. I'm cool now, nothing personal.

If Carter signs a one year RFA deal he would get a chance to hit UFA at a very young age, and that's how you get the outrageous bucks. The Flyers would get another financially motivated season (like this year should be for him) from him, while at the same time doing him a favor by offering a one year (possibly two) deal. Everybody knows that UFA deals are always overpriced for stars because of the bidding. A team like the Islanders might even offer him 7, especially considering the fact that he would still only be like 27.

When it's RFA, the Flyers have the leverage. NO WAY will they pay him over 5 million, they would go to arbitration first and likely win (although that largely depends on what he does this season and if he really wants to be the overpaid goat in a town like Philly). And another thing, the Flyers are close to the ceiling. so if somebody comes in and offers more then they are willing to pay you got yourself a stock pile of first rounders anyways.

So you see, it's not logical for them to trade Carter. it would be most illogical in fact.

Well, I am not disagreeing with you X, there are a whole lot of tangibles that I am including in my deductions of their situation cap wise and what I am expecting of them this season. But then, thats why I say its only my opinion.
I don't want to be nasty either, I I humbly apologize, lets start over, ok?

My opinions are only that, opinions, and I am totally open to hearing everyones take on what type of changes, if any, would better the team.
I know some of my posts seem off the wall, but there is a unique situation with the Sabres right now, but we've had the privildge of living through this before, with Hasek.

My opinion is not solid, thats why I ask if there are other options or alternatives to what I am proposing that will get us to the same result, Contention for Lord Stanleys Cup.
If there are players that can possibly be had by leveraging assets or picks, then lets discuss.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:49 pm 
Star Sniper

Giroux signed for just under 4 million/year, a little bit more then I thought but a a lot less than what Shesh suggested. :)

slesh
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
Giroux signed for just under 4 million/year, a little bit more then I thought but a a lot less than what Shesh suggested. :)

I agree, and it shocked me, good call X-pensfan. It changes the entire dynamics of the situation in Philly. I bow to your cap prowess, but, bare in mind, I'm a stubborn son-of-a-bitch, so I hope you don't mind kind of lining up the more reasonable numbers for me as a post my dribble. :dance: