It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:15 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

So We all agree that something needs to be done... and Im not the sharpest when it comes to contracts, NHL talent, etc... so, honestly, who would or could be available currently...

My real question, when we grabbed Drury and Brier all those years ago, what was there current status with their respective teams? And who are the players out there that may be like them today... players that maybe down a little with their current team, but would flourish in a Ruff's system...

So, Ill even start...

We all agree we need some help on D... Kaberle would help, I believe, but Burke is a dolt and wants a small ransom for him... so that won't work... next...

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 pm 
Star Sniper

Aim for the top. Get Geno Malkin here.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:18 pm 
Cup Winner

I would not deal with any defensemen trades as we are so stacked on the blueline it's funny, and I'm glad we are.

Hell, we got Morrisonn, Weber, Butler, Sekera, Leopold, Myers, Montador, and Rivet right now.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:21 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:

Believe me, I live in Pitt... Ive seen Geno play plenty... I ABSOLUTELY love the big man... but what would it really take? The Pens certainly have the depth at C... but I fear it would cost to much, but i would love to see him in blue and gold...

E X C E L L E N C E

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I would not deal with any defensemen trades as we are so stacked on the blueline it's funny, and I'm glad we are.

Hell, we got Morrisonn, Weber, Butler, Sekera, Leopold, Myers, Montador, and Rivet right now.

ok, so lets not worry about bringing in another D man right now... but we need something to spark this team....

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:25 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Lets spend the next couple of days making a list of talent per position, that the Sabres can feasibly target and go from there.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

slesh wrote:
Lets spend the next couple of days making a list of talent per position, that the Sabres can feasibly target and go from there.

Give me some criteria... I can think of plenty of players i like (Backus/Melkin)... but I don't know what makes a player available... and what would make a fair deal...

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:30 pm 
Star Sniper

gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

Believe me, I live in Pitt... Ive seen Geno play plenty... I ABSOLUTELY love the big man... but what would it really take? The Pens certainly have the depth at C... but I fear it would cost to much, but i would love to see him in blue and gold...

A lot. Vanek+Kassian+Ennis+a couple of draft picks. Maybe a little bit less than that.

He's only like 22 or 23 still. It's not like you are dumping the entire future for Yashin. He's going to be an elite NHL player for a long, long time.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:33 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

A lot. Vanek+Kassian+Ennis+a couple of draft picks. Maybe a little bit less than that.

He's only like 22 or 23 still. It's not like you are dumping the entire future for Yashin. He's going to be an elite NHL player for a long, long time.

What is pittsburgh in most need of? C, RW, LW, D? Probably a winger to keep up with Sid?

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

gr8daygo wrote:
slesh wrote:

Give me some criteria... I can think of plenty of players i like (Backus/Melkin)... but I don't know what makes a player available... and what would make a fair deal...

Lets first look at Buffalo's needs.

Can we agree the up and comers are the following?

Myers - D
Sekera - D
Weber - D

Ennis - LW
Kassian - RW
Adam - C

Enroth - G

If we can agree these players will be on the Sabres in the next 2 seasons, we can go from there.
Now, lets look at "keeper" players.
I am down to Vanek and Pommers (if he recovers from his injury)
That leaves me an awful lot to wheel and deal with. Do you agree?

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:44 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

slesh wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
slesh wrote:

Lets first look at Buffalo's needs.

Can we agree the up and comers are the following?

Myers - D
Sekera - D
Weber - D

Ennis - LW
Kassian - RW
Adam - C

Enroth - G

If we can agree these players will be on the Sabres in the next 2 seasons, we can go from there.
Now, lets look at "keeper" players.
I am down to Vanek and Pommers (if he recovers from his injury)
That leaves me an awful lot to wheel and deal with. Do you agree?

ok... I can agree with that.. lets look at this and see what we have...

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/BUF?year=2011

E X C E L L E N C E

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:45 pm 
Cup Winner

Aim for Malkin.

I'm down for sending them whoever they want, outside of Ennis, Myers, and Miller.

I say we somehow get Malkin, we instantly put Ennis with him too, and Pominville.

So my trade would be:
To Pitt:
Vanek
Stafford
Gerbe
2nd
To Buffalo:
Malkin

Sends them their first line LW, and with Stafford playing decent, 7 points in 11 games he fills in nicely on the Right side in the second line role, and Gerbe could probably be a maniac with them and Staal or even Crosby.

So we now have a
Ennis Malkin Pominville line
Hecht Connolly Roy line

Unless we move Connolly to Wing and put Roy centering it. Or move Connolly to another team, we would need to bring up a guy from the AHL at least.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:01 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Vanek - keep - signed through 13/14

Pommer - keep (if healthy) - signed through 13/14

Timmy - im a homer, but i think its time, UFA 11/12

Roy - keep - UFA 13/14 - might be tradable, but he is a top 2 C

Hecht - keep - UFA 12/13 - key 2 way player, can't toss everyone

Goose - like as a 3/4 C - top face off guy - UFA 12/13

Staff - he can be moved

Grier - he can be moved

Neids - he can be moved

Kaleta - I still like the home town kid...RFA 12/13

Ennis - keep... he's a top 6 player... RFA 12/13

Gerbe - keep ... I like what he brings, but is size an issue with Roy, Ennis, Gerbe ... RFA 11/12

McCormick - keep, I like him on the 3rd 4th line ... UFA 11/12

Rivet ... he can be moved

Leopold ... keep, I like him so far, UFA 13/14

Morrisonn ... keep, i like him so far, UFA 12/13

Monte ... I like him so far... UFA 11/12

Meyers ... MUST KEEP ANS RESIGN WHEN WE CAN!!!

Sekera... can go either way

Butler... Can go either way

Weber... I would like to keep

Miller... NEED TO KEEP!!! need to put the right talent around him....

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:21 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Here is my short list:

Tradable:
Roy
Connolly
Stafford
Gaustad
Hecht
Vanek
Pomminville
Sekera
Butler
Weber

Untradable due to age combined with contract length:
Rivet
Grier
Niedermayer
(These guys won't be resigned next season, IMHO)

Defensively:
Leopold and Morrisonn will be staying obviously and rightfully so.
Myers will be there.
They will most likely resign Montador.
That leaves 2 defensive positions to fill betweend Sekera, Weber and Butler, and right now, to me, Sekera has the inside track on one of them.

Offensively:
Its a train wreck. No transition game what so ever.
My thoughts have been constant on this.
Kassian on RW, Ennis on LW, Adam as a C.
We will need another Center as many have pointed out.

My Bobby Ryan comments not withstanding. Lets focus on a Center.
Who is on the short list of young, stud, centers that can be targeted and why.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:24 am 
Star Sniper

gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

What is pittsburgh in most need of? C, RW, LW, D? Probably a winger to keep up with Sid?

The Penguins need a skilled guy in front of the net. A righty shot scoring threat. And a legitimate all-star caliber winger who actually prefers to play wing.

Vanek, Vanek, and Vanek.

And, the Penguins are absolute shit when it comes to drafting and developing NHL skilled forwards, and the Sabres suck at losing all of their dignity and tanking for top 2 overall picks. So, the Sabres get a top 2 overall pick in Malkin, and the Penguins get their future of skilled forwards already successfully drafted for them.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 am 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

The Penguins need a skilled guy in front of the net. A righty shot scoring threat. And a legitimate all-star caliber winger who actually prefers to play wing.

Vanek, Vanek, and Vanek.

And, the Penguins are absolute shit when it comes to drafting and developing NHL skilled forwards, and the Sabres suck at losing all of their dignity and tanking for top 2 overall picks. So, the Sabres get a top 2 overall pick in Malkin, and the Penguins get their future of skilled forwards already successfully drafted for them.

Malkin does fit the bill.... signed through 13/14.... he is an amazing talent. Will the Pens be able to keep Sid and Geno together? Will it be better for the Pens to have a winger vs. C... And I think Geno will absolutely thrive with his own team

E X C E L L E N C E

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:54 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Backes is a UFA after this season... I think... Any thoughts on him? Will ST Louis be able to resign him? Would he fit the bill? I liked him in the olympics, but haven't seen him much in the NHL..

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:55 am 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

Vanek, Vanek, and Vanek.

I am seriously liking this thought process Xpens.
Let me ask you, given the savings Pitt would get along with the Vanek contract, would they be open to adding from each side. Say a 2 player per team swap?

The reason I ask is, if a Vanek for Malkin swap is interesting, if Buffalo added another winger, say Stafford and a center to replace Malkin, say Connolly, along with Vanek, would Pittsburg entertain giving up lets say,
Alex Goligoski? A good D partner for Myers? Or is there other talent on the team that we can make a multi player trade for?

Just curious.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:55 pm 
Cup Winner

Basically, I'd tell them I want Malkin from your team and I am giving you Vanek for him, anyone else on this team outside of Myers who would you want?

That is what I would do.

I would so do a 3 for one trade for Malkin.

Vanek a pick, and possibly another winger. The only thing it leaves us with is a plethora of Centers, Ennis, Roy, Connolly, Malkin, Gaustad, Niedermayer.

I know Ennis hasn't been playing Center at all, but it's his natural position.

But yes, I'd do anything to get Malkin. a 6'4 200 pound monster of a scorer, and would thrive under his own team.

Rud wrote:

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:49 pm 
Power Forward

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Basically, I'd tell them I want Malkin from your team and I am giving you Vanek for him, anyone else on this team outside of Myers who would you want?

That is what I would do.

I would so do a 3 for one trade for Malkin.

Vanek a pick, and possibly another winger. The only thing it leaves us with is a plethora of Centers, Ennis, Roy, Connolly, Malkin, Gaustad, Niedermayer.

I know Ennis hasn't been playing Center at all, but it's his natural position.

But yes, I'd do anything to get Malkin. a 6'4 200 pound monster of a scorer, and would thrive under his own team.

you would be willing to part with Miller as well?