Butler 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Weber 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Miller 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 37
slesh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Well, Happy Halloween all you junkies.
The scariest costumes out there tonight are wearing blue and gold.

This is a nightmare sceniario for all of us, the team, the coach, management and us fans.
I was calling this season "The One". I was confident we could contend.
Boy, was I way off base. But I have been one of the ones screaming about Buffalo's inability to finnish, the lack of scoring, the inept way this teams roster resources are managed and the overall lack of ability from Regier to fix some of these issues by bringing in the required pieces to complete the deal.

I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel betrayed. I feel betrayed by my own optimism. Been here before though, during the Lafontaine/Molginy era, the Hasek Cup run, then the 05 to 07 runs.

For the past 4 seasons I've been howling about moving some components and bringing some in to "make a go at it".

With all of this said, and I've been saying it since before last seasons trade deadline, "A BlockBuster Trade Is Coming To The Buffalo Sabres".

They no longer have a choice if they want to have any chance to contend this season.
So who are the lucky players to be leaving Buffalo?

The Poll is up. Max 3 players. Pick your poison.

patkane88
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:13 pm 
Captain Clutch

Connolly, Stafford and/or Butler

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:16 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

No blockbuster trade is coming.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I said Miller, Weber and Connolly.

slesh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I said Miller, Weber and Connolly.

Interesting selections CV.
Why the Miller selection? Just curious to see what your thoughts are on this.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Ill play madden, the hockey version.... you send Vanek + player or prospet + pick to Pittsburgh for Malkin... Malkin needs his own team,, Sid needs a winger...

Down the middle it gives you

Malkin
Roy
Connelly, until the trade deadline, than Neids/Goose to finish the year and Adam in 2011/12
Goose/Neids and Goose in 2011/12

OK I got the centers figured out and Im fine with the D for now and G... now lets build the rest of the roster off that...

If Ennis and Gerbe are not in the top 6 than trade them, because its wasting them in the bottom six...

As much as I am a Timmy homer, i don't think he gets resigned, so its time to get something for him... Stafford is also time for him to move on... I'd say one of the D can be moved (Sekera, Butler, Weber)... But i like that depth right now and I think Rivet may be done... resign Morrision as well... i like him...

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

gr8daygo wrote:
Ill play madden, the hockey version.... you send Vanek + player or prospet + pick to Pittsburgh for Malkin... Malkin needs his own team,, Sid needs a winger...

Malkin
Roy
Connelly, until the trade deadline, than Neids/Goose to finish the year and Adam in 2011/12

OK I got the centers figured out and Im fine with the D for now and G... now lets build the rest of the roster off that...

If Ennis and Gerbe are not in the top 6 than trade them, because its wasting them in the bottom six...

As much as I am a Timmy homer, i don't think he gets resigned, so its time to get something for him... Stafford is also time for him to move on... I'd say one of the D can be moved (Sekera, Butler, Weber)... But i like that depth right now and I think Rivet may be done... resign Morrision as well... i like him...

I'll play.
Here is my alternate version of your trades.

Chara and Sekera together in the Olympics were beast. Boston needs a cheap, young, D man.

The Vanek and/or Connolly and Stafford packages would be seperate deals from Sekera to Boston.

Adding Wheeler would be a plus considering Vanek and him have an off the ice relationship and deep friendship.
It couldn't hurt any to try Wheeler on the top scoring line RW position for Roy and Vanek.
Ryder would be a fill in while Pommers nurses his concussion.

To Buf
Blake Wheeler
Micheal Ryder

To Bos
Andrej Sekera
2011 5th rd draft pick

The ability to shed Ryder at the end of the season is a plus.
A good salary dump for Boston ($5.2 mil after adding Sekera's 1 mil).
A good pick up for Buffalo without giving up the house.
Buffalo has the cap space if Sekera is moved ($5,291,793) barely.

Buffalo could then use Connolly and Stafford to target a center to replace Connolly.
I agree a larger package would be necessary, I would be targeting Richards from Dallas, and Buffalo should ad picks and/or prospects to get it done.

But (sigh), Darcy "No Nuts" Regier is our GM, so status quo is in full effect now.
But these are the moves I would look to make.
This particular one makes sense for both teams.

I am confident you can throw the "Internal Cap" out the window, as Regier is going to be fighting for his job, he'll convince em to spend to get it done.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

slesh wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:

Malkin
Roy

I'll play.
Here is my alternate version of your trades.

Chara and Sekera together in the Olympics were beast. Boston needs a cheap, young, D man.

The Vanek and/or Connolly and Stafford packages would be seperate deals from Sekera to Boston.

Adding Wheeler would be a plus considering Vanek and him have an off the ice relationship and deep friendship.
It couldn't hurt any to try Wheeler on the top scoring line RW position for Roy and Vanek.
Ryder would be a fill in while Pommers nurses his concussion.

To Buf
Blake Wheeler
Micheal Ryder

To Bos
Andrej Sekera
2011 5th rd draft pick

The ability to shed Ryder at the end of the season is a plus.
A good salary dump for Boston ($5.2 mil after adding Sekera's 1 mil).
A good pick up for Buffalo without giving up the house.
Buffalo has the cap space if Sekera is moved ($5,291,793) barely.

Buffalo could then use Connolly and Stafford to target a center to replace Connolly.
I agree a larger package would be necessary, I would be targeting Richards from Dallas, and Buffalo should ad picks and/or prospects to get it done.

But (sigh), Darcy "No Nuts" Regier is our GM, so status quo is in full effect now.
But these are the moves I would look to make.
This particular one makes sense for both teams.

I am confident you can throw the "Internal Cap" out the window, as Regier is going to be fighting for his job, he'll convince em to spend to get it done.

I like that too... not sure if dallas will be willing, but the boston deal looks ok... id toss it out there... a little more reasonable than my Madden-esc trade, lol...

As for Darcy fighting for his job and even ruff for that matter.... i raise you this.... B.Thomas isn't going to do anything and Quinn (the reason Darcy is nut-less) is recovering from heart issues... nothing is going to change in the front office, unless Darcy tells Quinn to suck it, this is what needs to happen... take you cap and shove it...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/colum ... 236931.ece

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:37 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Agreed, Darcy needs to stand up to anyone who stands in his way on roster moves if they are an attempt to salvage the season.

Ok, so, lets stick with the Sekera deal for now since we agree it looks good on paper.

Lets focus in on the 2nd line center and/or Veteran dman.
I am going to go with a Center, since Connolly would most likely be moved in the deal.
Lets look at Centers.

Obviously, we've already mentioned Richards.
Anyone else come to mind?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:04 pm 
Cup Winner

Boston wouldn't bite on Sekera, they already have Boychuk who plays with Chara and plays damn well with him.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:04 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

slesh wrote:
Agreed, Darcy needs to stand up to anyone who stands in his way on roster moves if they are an attempt to salvage the season.

Ok, so, lets stick with the Sekera deal for now since we agree it looks good on paper.

Lets focus in on the 2nd line center and/or Veteran dman.
I am going to go with a Center, since Connolly would most likely be moved in the deal.
Lets look at Centers.

Obviously, we've already mentioned Richards.
Anyone else come to mind?

Richards, but would Dallas be willing to give him up? currently making 7.8 mill per and he is UFA after this year... he's gonna want a raise... that could be tough...

I like Malkin, but it would cost a ton...

Any thoughts on Backus out of St louis? ... loved what he did in the olympics... UFA in 11/12 currently making $2.5 per... again, no clue where he really stands in the NHL or if St. Louis would give him up, but I like him...

Again I ask, who are today's Drury's and Briere's.... who is under the radar that would flourish in Ruff's system...

E X C E L L E N C E

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:27 pm 
Cup Winner

Richards won't be asking for a raise. I would be willing to bet he will have to take the same or less to stay with Dallas, or if he signs anywhere else it will be for less.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:28 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Richards has said he wants to retire a Star and is very willing to take that pay cut to remain there.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
Richards has said he wants to retire a Star and is very willing to take that pay cut to remain there.

Any thoughts on Backes Phil?

E X C E L L E N C E

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

gr8daygo wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

I love Backes but the Sabres have their own Backes in the system that won't cost them $3M (BZK)

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

I love Backes but the Sabres have their own Backes in the system that won't cost them $3M (BZK)

aside from mgt changes... weather its riding it out or a trade or two, what would you do? who would you target? you know this sport much better than me, you'd make a much better arm chair GM than me... so what is Phil's plan to save the season and set 'em up for future success... If Ruff changed his style a little and Darcy brought in some players, who would it be? who do you target?

E X C E L L E N C E

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:05 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I personally would go after 3 players, while letting Connolly Rivet and Grier all leave.

1. Alex Semin, even for 6M+ He's still brilliantly talented, and can play all 3 forward positions without much difficulty.

2. Kevin Bieksa, probably gonna be about 4M a year, but a solid defender in both ends. Would make a great partner for Leopold, and could give us some help on the Power Play.

3. Chad LaRose from Carolina. A lot like Grier in his prime, gritty physical kid, some skill, the ability to put up 35 points a year, and brings something to our PK as well.

Squanto 7/27/2010

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 pm 
Captain Dynasty

if we get semin I'll jizz my pants

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:14 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

gr8daygo wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

aside from mgt changes... weather its riding it out or a trade or two, what would you do? who would you target? you know this sport much better than me, you'd make a much better arm chair GM than me... so what is Phil's plan to save the season and set 'em up for future success... If Ruff changed his style a little and Darcy brought in some players, who would it be? who do you target?

I don't have one...this team is broken.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 am 
Garbage Man

Squanto wrote:
No blockbuster trade is coming.

However, a Netflix trade is coming, right in front of you. ;)