It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:08 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

fly as hale: do not open your eyes :naughty:
For the rest of us, lets discuss:

As the thread title states.
This thread is bound to happen sooner or later.

Lets discuss a possible move that ships Miller out, either at the end of next seasons deadline, or the 2012 summer (off season).

Is it even possible?
What is the range of return if it was?
Would you ship him inside the conference or to the Western conference?
Would Enroth be a good fit to replace him or would we need to look outside the club?

Thoughts?

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NO!!!! NO!!! NO!!! .... NO!!! .... put the pieces around Miller he deserves.... NO!!!.... He is by far the face of this team currently and one of the leaders not only with the Sabres but in the NHL... and at this point, the best goalie in the world... yes he is banged up currently, but that doesn't take away from what he can do... Miller is untouchable... bad slesh... NO!!!! I know its your b-day, but thats no excuse.... bad slesh! NO!!!

Miller, the Tylers, Zack, Adam, I would say are untouchable... maybe Weber (I think he is gonna be a solid D man).... Other than that... trade who you'd like...

I still want to pry Malkin away from the Pens with Vanek... and something.... or go after Iggy or hell let the team stay the way it is... i rather see the team be last in the league this year get the number one pick re tool in the off season than see Miller traded...

again, GIVE MILLER WHAT HE NEEDS TO WIN!!! I am actually ok with the D currently, they aren't playing great, but they will get it together... i think the top 6 needs to be tweaked... Ennis and Gerbe need to be up there... Staff doesn't... Timmy can move on (I hate to say it, I love the guy) but he is just NOT putting it together...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO trading Miller!!

E X C E L L E N C E

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:22 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

and on another note... what happened to loyalty ... from both teams and players... why can't we have a player that is with a team for his career! i miss that... there is so much turn over due to cap issues and constraints or with not having the room to add pieces when needed or not being finically feasible that we lose the players we love to early in their careers... for once, again, I want to see an athlete stay with the club until he retires... i want the club and player to show the loyalty and respect that used to be shown in the league....

E X C E L L E N C E

Carubba Kaleta
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:27 pm 
First Rounder

If they can't put together a team that can win with him then we might as well get rid of him now. Don't get my wrong I love Ryan Miller, but management needs to show him some respect and do what we set out to when we re-signed him, let's put him on a winning team in buffalo or sadly enough somewhere else.

If this becomes reality, I say we trade him for at least three consecutive years of 1st round picks, to any good team in the western conference.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:33 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Yeah....it's proven that steadily great goaltending doesn't win cups; spectacular goaltending during the playoffs does. Go ahead, trade him, but you better get something amazing in return.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:42 pm 
Cup Winner

If we are trading Miller, it will be for another superstar in this league, that is the return I would expect from Miller.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:01 pm 
Star Sniper

Dude, nobody wants to be saddled with a 6+ million dollar goal tender. They just don't.

Niemi
Fleury
Osgood
Ward
Gigeure
Leighton
Khabibulin

Those ass-clowns are your Stanley Cup goalies over the past 6 or 7 years. Nobody is going to give up anything worth Miller in return if they hope to maintain a team capable of making a Stanley Cup run.

And to be more direct, why on earth would anybody want to trade away the brightest ray of Stanley Cup hope you have? Are you nuts?

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm 
Garbage Man

What are you smoking?

Miller has a no trade clause, and will not be leaving us anytime soon.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:13 pm 
Hart Winner

Well we haven't had any luck with him so far... We kind of lack goal scoring... If we get a goalie capable of starting and a goal scorer, maybe a bit more, go for it.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:18 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Sabres fans can discuss trading Miller as much as they want, doesn't change the fact that it's simply not going to happen.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:20 pm 
Hart Winner

We're actually discussing if it would be acceptable to trade Miller because of him being a big fan favorite and that makes him untouchable.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:21 pm 
Hart Winner

And Kanye West needs to be traded to the moon. For nothing.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 pm 
Star Sniper

Just don't trade him for Kozlov. Ugggggghhhh

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:09 pm 
Superstar Goalie

fly as hale wrote:
Sabres fans can discuss trading Miller as much as they want, doesn't change the fact that it's simply not going to happen.

Discuss it, please. Post a convincing argument that a world class goalie gives you a better chance at winning the cup, please.

It gives you a better chance of making the playoffs, IMO, and that's about it.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:50 pm 
Mrs. Miller

NYIntensity wrote:
Discuss it, please. Post a convincing argument that a world class goalie gives you a better chance at winning the cup, please.

It gives you a better chance of making the playoffs, IMO, and that's about it.

It seems to me that a lot of people are downplaying the importance of great goaltending in the playoffs because over the past few years, Cup winning goalies haven't been exactly world class goalies. But there is no set way to win a Cup. All because Chicago won a Cup with Niemi in net doesn't mean we (or other teams) can follow the same exact formula to equal success. You work with what you have. A lot of fans suggest that we could trade Miller and get something exponential in return, but I can't recall the last time that happened. Especially involving a goalie. You aren't going to trade Miller and get an Ovechkin, Kane, Crosby, or a Sedin-esq player. It just doesn't happen. And why not? Because those teams aren't going to trade away their best players. They realize what they have and they are going to build around those players.

And in our situation, we have one of the best goalies in the league so we are going to build around him. Having a goalie like Ryan Miller only improves this team's chance at winning a Cup, it doesn't hinder it. I don't think I need to go into great detail as to why that is, we have all seen him play.

And you said that you think all having a goalie like Miller does is give the team a better chance at making the playoffs and "that's about it." I'm not sure I'm following, because getting to the playoffs is half the battle. After that, anything can happen. We've all seen it. And it's not like once Miller gets us to the playoffs that his play is no longer effective.

I understand the notion that people think it's more important to have more offensively gifted guys instead of a great goalie, and while I can agree with that to an extent, I also disagree. I think people are underestimating the importance of great goaltending and solid defense. And I also don't believe we would ever be able to acquire the proper components in a trade involving Miller that would compensate his absence. Trading him just doesn't make any sense. And it's never going to happen, unless Miller wants out.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:28 am 
Superstar Goalie

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I've started to think along the train of thought that a world class goalie is kind of a waste :(

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 pm 
Star Sniper

NYIntensity wrote:
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I've started to think along the train of thought that a world class goalie is kind of a waste :(

I don't think it's a waste at all, but it's been proven that you need a goalie to play at a world class level for a couple of months, not every single game of the year. Baring injury, Miller is as safe a bet to play at a world class level in the playoffs as anybody in the league.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ill take a shot at this: due to the parity of goaltending around the league, a goaltenders value, even one as good as ryan miller, is down. the sabres would not fetch a super star in return, rather a solid player, maybe good picks, or prospects. its just the way it is. trading miller would be dumb, IMO, to start with, but you probably wouldnt get a package of equal value in return anyways. think of trading a quarter for two dimes.

he signed a long term contract, he wants to remain a sabre, the fan base adores him, wouldnt get a great package in return for him (probably).. its just not a viable option, IMO.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:30 pm 
Page Side

It's kind of silly to talk trades when you think about it.

Each player isn't worth a set value that we can determine. If a team is hungry enough for a player or position you're offering, they'll pay heavily for it, especially if they have other things in the pipeline to eventually replenish.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder sort of thing, no?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:53 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
It's kind of silly to talk trades when you think about it.

Each player isn't worth a set value that we can determine. If a team is hungry enough for a player or position you're offering, they'll pay heavily for it, especially if they have other things in the pipeline to eventually replenish.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder sort of thing, no?

i will agree with that, but you have to determine the market for him. a team isnt going to trade for a 30 year old goalie and build for the future. so a rebuilding team isnt going to pay an extremely high price. that being said, a team who wants to win now will pay in younger players but chances are it wont be a top notch prospect (might be THEIR best prospect though)

the NHL is producing good goalies at a remarkable pace. though not many in the same breath as miller.

if you are going to entertain the possibility of trading him, who trades for him? what team needs goaltending RIGHT MEOW and wants to win RIGHT MEOW? off the top of my head, im not thinking much. all the same, id only trade miller if the deal knocked my socks off, and that deal isnt going to come right now. so its a mute point.